Author Topic: John Tavares is a Maple Leaf  (Read 23875 times)

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: John Tavares is a Maple Leaf
« Reply #195 on: July 01, 2018, 07:20:37 PM »

I swear, I want to feel bad for Islanders fans or at least be gracious but some of the things I'm reading of why exactly they feel hard done by here are so stupid.

The Islanders got to where they are right now because they were badly run. Not getting anything for Tavares is a symptom of that.

It's nuts.

"omg John said he would never consider playing somewhere else he lied to us!!!1!"

Offline jdh1

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 01, 2018, 07:39:19 PM »
  Your right Nik, however Mathews might balk at Babcock,s coaching style and may not be easy to sign.

There's a veritable whole wide world of things that might happen. I think you need to start dwelling in the realm of probability rather than possibility before it influences your decision making though.
I originally made the comment that I would not make Auston the captain right now.I was drawn into the reasons why,which was not my original intent I,m not trying to put a negative to the Tavaras signing.
This our year to win the cup.

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 01, 2018, 07:46:38 PM »
C'mon we all know Matthews just helped to recruit his replacement.
Good lord can we not just enjoy this moment without this Matthews is leaving crap?

Official reports say the dude called Tavares and encouraged him to come to Toronto. That should be the end of the Matthews disgruntled discussion.

Talk about pessimism. ::)  Hey, all's right with  the Leafs & Auston, & John, &....

... enjoy & smile.~
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 07:53:26 PM by hockeyfan1 »

Offline KGB

• Prospect
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 01, 2018, 07:47:43 PM »
Prior to today, the biggest impact free agent signing by the Leafs had to be Cujo, 20 years ago this month.  This seems bigger.  For years we've posited that this player or that would love to play in Toronto and might even take a hometown discount.  It's finally happened, and in a big, big way.  You can knock me down with a feather.

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 01, 2018, 07:49:34 PM »
I originally made the comment that I would not make Auston the captain right now.

Well, sort of. You said in your comment it would be "because he might be gone in a year" which, you know, isn't going to happen. Beyond that I think a lot of people are hesitant to make him captain right now for some legitimate reasons, namely he just might not be ready, but as Zee has said, even if the organization did want to make him the captain they wouldn't do it without a long term commitment agreed to beforehand.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 01, 2018, 07:49:52 PM »
Did Steve Simmons credit Mark Hunter for this signing?

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 01, 2018, 07:51:32 PM »
Yep, just because it was rare in the past,doesn,t mean it won't happen.There,s lots of pressure on Gm,s too improve there teams. I can see Arizona doing it,if for no other reason than to get fans to fill their seats. And make a huge impact in the southern states.

This sort of ignores the reason why offer sheets are so incredibly rare. Teams know that they'd have to make the offer so high, and the compensation so steep, that it would probably be a net negative for them. They're not good hockey decisions by and large unless you're dealing with a team that's pressed right up against the cap which the Leafs won't be.

It's a pointless exercise. Either a player is good enough that matching the offer is worthwhile, in which case their team matches it, or he's not worth the contract he's offered in which case it doesn't help the team offering it.
What would the compensation be if someone offer sheeted Marner? 5 first round picks?

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 01, 2018, 07:55:42 PM »
What would the compensation be if someone offer sheeted Marner? 5 first round picks?

The biggest RFA compensation is 4 first rounders:

https://www.capfriendly.com/offer-sheet-calculator

And like I said, you'd match any Matthews offer sheet and Marner really doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who'd sign an offer sheet and bail on his hometown team and playing on Tavares' wing.
-Karl Marx

Offline jdh1

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 01, 2018, 07:57:24 PM »
I originally made the comment that I would not make Auston the captain right now.

Well, sort of. You said in your comment it would be "because he might be gone in a year" which, you know, isn't going to happen. Beyond that I think a lot of people are hesitant to make him captain right now for some legitimate reasons, namely he just might not be ready, but as Zee has said, even if the organization did want to make him the captain they wouldn't do it without a long term commitment agreed to beforehand.
[/quote

Agreed on that.If he signs long term then he deserves the captaincy. I,d even donate $5 bucks to his contract.

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 01, 2018, 08:00:08 PM »
It just feels so good...

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 01, 2018, 08:07:43 PM »

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 01, 2018, 08:11:51 PM »
Leafs don’t name a captain this season. We win the Cup. Who will be pushed to pick it up first?

Gotta be the Patty Man.
#BeBlessed

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 01, 2018, 08:14:46 PM »
#BeBlessed

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 01, 2018, 08:25:11 PM »
Leafs don’t name a captain this season. We win the Cup. Who will be pushed to pick it up first?

Gotta be the Patty Man.

Personally, in that scenario, I'd go with longest serving Leaf.

Who, interestingly, is now Kadri.
-Karl Marx

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 01, 2018, 08:26:50 PM »
It bugs me a bit that they transcribed Tavares’ fiancée’s name wrong, but now I know how to pronounce it.

Good gravy, when you said that I assumed it would just be the old Irish spelling but they really went for the full Scrabble score with that one.
-Karl Marx