Author Topic: 2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs - General Discussion  (Read 48059 times)

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: 2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs - General Discussion
« Reply #870 on: February 11, 2019, 09:03:39 AM »
Matthews CF w/ Marleau: 47.47
Matthews CF w/o Marleau: 55.64

Matthews P/60 w/ Marleau: 2.6
Matthews P/60 w/o Marleau: 3.5

And Marleau has consistently been 4th among forwards in 5-on-5 ice-time this season. There's just no way to justify his ice-time/playing time with Matthews anymore.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #870 on: February 11, 2019, 09:03:39 AM »

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: February 11, 2019, 09:13:23 AM »
Matthews CF w/ Marleau: 47.47
Matthews CF w/o Marleau: 55.64

Matthews P/60 w/ Marleau: 2.6
Matthews P/60 w/o Marleau: 3.5

And Marleau has consistently been 4th among forwards in 5-on-5 ice-time this season. There's just no way to justify his ice-time/playing time with Matthews anymore.

We hear all the time that Babcock is a progressive coach, he takes input from the analytics guys etc, so why the hell is he not taking Marleau off that line?  Surely he has the same if not more info than we do as the Leafs track stuff on their own.

Offline Peter D.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: February 11, 2019, 09:41:34 AM »
Whatever stubborn vendetta Babcock may have against Nylander has to stop.  Time to re-unite him with Matthews.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: February 11, 2019, 09:48:45 AM »
Whatever stubborn vendetta Babcock may have against Nylander has to stop.  Time to re-unite him with Matthews.

Yeah, they have to give Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander a shot.

Offline TML fan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: February 11, 2019, 10:24:29 AM »
From what I've seen the last few games, there's just no chemistry with Kapanen. Both players want to shoot. Kapanen doesn't have the high end skill to make plays through traffic and isn't great at getting to open areas for Matthews to get him the puck.

Marleau is just a giant anchor. He can't keep up with the high level of play anymore. It's not his fault. Babcock needs to recognize this. I understand wanting to respect the player, but winning is more important at this point of the season.

Marleau's place is on the 4th line.

Offline louisstamos

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Treestar
« Reply #875 on: February 11, 2019, 10:42:32 AM »
From what I've seen the last few games, there's just no chemistry with Kapanen. Both players want to shoot. Kapanen doesn't have the high end skill to make plays through traffic and isn't great at getting to open areas for Matthews to get him the puck.

Marleau is just a giant anchor. He can't keep up with the high level of play anymore. It's not his fault. Babcock needs to recognize this. I understand wanting to respect the player, but winning is more important at this point of the season.

Marleau's place is on the 4th line.

I don't know about the 4th line, but definitely down in the lineup.  This would be optimal for me:

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Kapanen
Ennis - Lindholm - Brown
Goat

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: February 11, 2019, 12:22:47 PM »
Marleau's place isn't on the 4th line. But, as I said the other day, Matthews lack of production has more to do with his linemates and less to do with his shoulders

Offline Guilt Trip

• Veteran
  • CarltonTheBear was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: February 11, 2019, 12:38:48 PM »
Marleau's place isn't on the 4th line. But, as I said the other day, Matthews lack of production has more to do with his linemates and less to do with his shoulders
Totally agree. It's tough playing shorthanded all the time which is essentially what he has to do every shift. It's time for Willy and Matthews to be back together.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: February 11, 2019, 12:59:43 PM »
Since returning from his shoulder injury Matthews has just 2 less points than Marner in that span. And that's while playing with (mostly) 3rd liners or a training camp version of Nylander. I really don't get the worry about his shoulder or the idea that he's somewhat altered his game since the injury to avoid contact. You all remember that goal he scored against the sens, right?

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: February 11, 2019, 01:15:01 PM »
5-on-5 points since Matthews returned from his injury:

Tavares 24
Matthews 21
Marner 20
Johnsson 19
Kadri 13
Kapanen 12
Brown 10
Hyman 10
Nylander 10
Marleau 9

5-on-5 points in 2019:

Tavares 12
Matthews 10
Johnsson 10
Marner 9
Nylander 8
Hyman 7
Kadri 6
Kapanen 6
Marleau 5
Brown 5

Offline Guilt Trip

• Veteran
  • CarltonTheBear was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: February 11, 2019, 02:28:31 PM »
5-on-5 points since Matthews returned from his injury:

Tavares 24
Matthews 21
Marner 20
Johnsson 19
Kadri 13
Kapanen 12
Brown 10
Hyman 10
Nylander 10
Marleau 9

5-on-5 points in 2019:

Tavares 12
Matthews 10
Johnsson 10
Marner 9
Nylander 8
Hyman 7
Kadri 6
Kapanen 6
Marleau 5
Brown 5
How dare you show stats to back up your claim...

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: February 11, 2019, 02:33:45 PM »
I'm all for the Matthews burger med bröd line and I do think we'll see it eventually.

I don't think it's a vendetta thing against Nylander, per se, more like stress-testing the depth and combinations before the stretch drive after the deadline. I don't mind Nylander and Matthews figuring out what they can accomplish without each other to develop other aspects of their game: Nylander passing to a shooter who has some of the worst luck and getting over the mental hurdle of doing the work even when the results don't show up; Matthews working with wingers that can't hold the puck and love to shoot to round out his playmaking abilities. Is that exactly what Babcock is trying to accomplish? I can't know that, but while we're here, that's the benefit I see.

There are line combos in the backpocket that we know already work from earlier in the season or previous seasons:
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Nylander
Johnsson-Kadri-Kapanen
Brown-Kadri-Nylander
Lindholm-Gauthier-Moore

Right now, I think it's a good time to work on weaknesses. Down the stretch, it'll be better to lean into strengths as benches shorten. If we want to let Marleau play out his contract gracefully, it would be good to take some of his shifts and bump them to Johnsson in certain situations.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: February 11, 2019, 03:06:51 PM »
Sometimes I like to go through old threads and laugh at posts that haven't aged very well. With the Marleau talk I decided to check the thread from his signing. Get a load of this idiot, very first post in the thread:

Honestly, it's a year longer and more money than I would have wanted without Thornton as a package deal, but I'm glad we signed him. Especially if it means we don't have to see Hyman with Matthews again. I mean, he HAS to have been signed to play 1LW, right?

Well... the first part obviously still holds up but man has my opinion on Hyman done a 180 in the past 1.5 years. Also imagine that we HAD signed Thornton that summer... might have made signing Tavares impossible due to cap constraints. Thankfully Lou wasn't as good of a recruiter.

Offline Michael

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: February 11, 2019, 03:11:06 PM »
Sometimes I like to go through old threads and laugh at posts that haven't aged very well. With the Marleau talk I decided to check the thread from his signing. Get a load of this idiot, very first post in the thread:

Honestly, it's a year longer and more money than I would have wanted without Thornton as a package deal, but I'm glad we signed him. Especially if it means we don't have to see Hyman with Matthews again. I mean, he HAS to have been signed to play 1LW, right?

Well... the first part obviously still holds up but man has my opinion on Hyman done a 180 in the past 1.5 years. Also imagine that we HAD signed Thornton that summer... might have made signing Tavares impossible due to cap constraints. Thankfully Lou wasn't as good of a recruiter.

That must have taken some digging. I should do the same.... I am sure we would all think differently if we knew then what we know now.

I do not have to look for a post to remember that I thought Strome was the better pick than Marner. I guess that is why I am not a hockey executive or scout.

Offline princedpw

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: February 11, 2019, 03:52:33 PM »

That must have taken some digging. I should do the same.... I am sure we would all think differently if we knew then what we know now.

I do not have to look for a post to remember that I thought Strome was the better pick than Marner. I guess that is why I am not a hockey executive or scout.

At least some hockey executives and scouts thought that too so you aren’t alone.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #884 on: February 11, 2019, 03:52:33 PM »