Author Topic: Ranking Prospects 2018-19  (Read 16966 times)

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Ranking Prospects 2018-19
« Reply #150 on: August 24, 2018, 09:20:35 AM »
PPP: 7. Timothy Liljegren

Guess who got ranked at his jersey number?

TLN: 11. Semyon Der-Arguchintsev
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 10:01:47 AM by herman »

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #150 on: August 24, 2018, 09:20:35 AM »

Offline Coco-puffs

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 24, 2018, 09:59:46 AM »
PPP: 8. Andreas Johnsson

Kapanen over Johnsson largely due to age and pedigree.

Kapanen is ranked higher than Johnsson?  Surprised given Johnsson's breakthrough last season complete with the AHL MVP award in the playoffs.  Granted Kapanen didn't play for the Marlies in the playoffs so who knows if he could have been just as good.

Kapanen is 2 years younger so the prevailing thought would be Kapanen still has more time to grow his game.  Most would consider them in the same tier and I bet the difference in ranking between these two is pretty tight

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 27, 2018, 09:14:08 AM »
PPP: 6. Kasperi Kapanen

#NeverForget

As Kapanen has grown more accustomed to the NHL speed and skill and strength, he has realized that he can pull off more than he expected at first. Until the AHL, he has always played up and above his level, so there's that calibration period in his production stats. In the video linked above, you can see how he has gotten really good at using his speed to park his ass on defenders' hands to prevent them from actually defending against him (this goal too vs the Preds). He's less likely to go completely around players now, and would rather take a more direct route. He has learned to use his raw speed for speed change separation now, rather than just outright blowing by literally everyone (and thus having no support).

TLN: 10. Trevor Moore
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 09:19:08 AM by herman »

Online Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 27, 2018, 12:54:50 PM »
Kapanen is going to be a star on the NHL. He's got the 'it' factor, in spades.

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 28, 2018, 08:35:59 AM »
Kapanen is going to be a star on the NHL. He's got the 'it' factor, in spades.

I hope you're right, his speed is unbelievable.  If he can make plays at a high speed he'll be hard to stop.  I still remember that shorthanded goal against the Bruins in game 7 and thinking "that's it, that's the game winner!"  Sigh.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 28, 2018, 09:17:03 AM »
PPP: 5. Travis Dermott

When he was first drafted, I was just excited that our tradedowns netted multiple prospects with projectable skills; of the 3 (Dermott, Bracco, Dzierkals), Dermott was maybe the least exciting to me because it looked like he played a safe game shepherding a stacked forward corps (McDavid, Strome). His speed was middling but his vision looked capable; smooth without panic.

After a couple of years with Barb Underhill and getting targeted assignments on the Marlies, he has surpassed my middling expectations. He is very smart and aggressive without the puck, with the skills to pull off a lot of his riskier maneuvers (open-ice gap up pinches as the last man back!), and he can really carry it almost to Gardiner/Rielly levels. While the raw speed is not quite Rielly-level, his edgework and elusiveness is probably tops on the backend.

TLN: 9. Pierre Engvall
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 03:01:47 PM by herman »

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 28, 2018, 11:30:36 AM »
PPP: 5. Travis Dermott

When he was first drafted, I was just excited that our tradedowns netted multiple prospects with projectable skills; of the 3 (Dermott, Bracco, Dzierkals), Dermott was maybe the least exciting to me because it looked like he played a safe game shepherding a stacked forward corps (McDavid, Strome). His speed was middling but his vision looked capable; smooth without panic.

After a couple of years with Barb Underhill and getting targeted assignments on the Marlies, he has surpassed my middling expectations. He is very smart and aggressive without the puck, with the skills to pull off a lot of his riskier maneuvers (open-ice gap up pinches as the last man back!), and he can really carry it almost to Gardiner/Rielly levels. While the raw speed is not quite Rielly-level, his edgework and elusiveness is probably tops on the backend.

I have to agree here. Dermott caught me by complete surprise. The Leafs didn't get into a real groove until Marner got going and Dermott drew into the lineup. I was kind of against the pick at the time thinking he wasn't going to amount to much but I'm pretty glad we have him.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 29, 2018, 10:48:01 AM »
PPP: 4. Morgan Rielly

No drama here.

TLN: 8. Joseph Woll
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 06:18:31 PM by herman »

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 30, 2018, 09:33:02 AM »
PPP:
T2: William Nylander
T2: Mitch Marner

Drammaaaaaaaa averted.

I kind of saw this coming based on the way the schedule shook out, but I had a sliver of a guess that voters might lean towards Marner due to recency and age.

TLN: 7. Dymytro Timashov
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 09:40:56 AM by herman »

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 30, 2018, 09:34:43 AM »
What an absolute cop-out. I want my money back.

Offline Bullfrog

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 30, 2018, 09:54:35 AM »
What an absolute cop-out. I want my money back.

PPP's betrayed me for the last time.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 30, 2018, 10:05:38 AM »
WEBSITE FIGHTTTT

« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 10:09:29 AM by herman »

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 30, 2018, 10:21:33 AM »

https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2018/8/30/17799992/toronto-maple-leafs-announce-2018-rookie-showcase-roster-montreal-canadiens-ottawa-senators-prospect

Good breakdown of the names on the list, especially the ones we haven't had much knowledge of previously. Most, if not all the 'new' names have been on Dubas'/Gilman's radar in some way shape or form (Solar Bears, Marlies, Greyhounds). Most notable is probably Stefan Leblanc (22 y.o. LD), who went undrafted, but signed a Marlies contract for this coming season.

Obviously, our draft picks are out in force, including Jesper Lindgren who most recently departed the Calder Cup run to work out in Sweden, J.J. Piccinich who was drafted forever ago, hasn't made it yet (basically won't), but is still hanging around, and Rasmus Sandin who was our first rounder this year and indicated a preference for playing in the SHL for the coming season (he's already taken some preseason games with Rogle). It'll be a good chance to see how the 2018 class stacks up with the previous picks.

Dubas using the Soo Greyhounds as a fishing hole is interesting (see CHL import draft invitee Roman Pucek). The optics scream nepotism, but he doesn't seem to care (and it's not like it's his only intake route). Judging from afar with 0 information, I'd say if you personally built up a player identification and development program that you trust and has been effective, yeah, why wouldn't you fish there.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 04:26:59 PM by herman »

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 30, 2018, 10:24:50 AM »
Can someone tell me if there's a way to turn off phone notifications for non-Nylander related @LeafsPR tweets?

Offline nutman

• Veteran
  • Marner... This kid has game.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 30, 2018, 04:16:32 PM »
Are prospects not players in our system, but not yet on the team?. If so them why are players on the Leafs on this list.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #164 on: August 30, 2018, 04:16:32 PM »