Author Topic: Contracts for the Big-3  (Read 70472 times)

Offline Kaberle15

• Veteran
  • They Did it!
    • View Profile
Re: Contracts for the Big-3
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2018, 08:27:15 PM »
Marner and Matthews have deals for this year, and that don't expire until next summer.  They can sign new deals today, but they won't take effect until next year, and associated cap hits aren't relevant until the season they take effect.
I know that, and next year they will have Hansey off and Gardiner as an UFA that is -7Mi off the books, however, those 2 spots should be filled.

My point is, they should extend the Big 3 with less than 22 - 24 mi. Can they do it ?
A.K.A Gardiner51, Changed back to Kaberle15 now that he is retired.

Offline Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2018, 01:04:20 PM »

My point is, they should extend the Big 3 with less than 22 - 24 mi. Can they do it ?
Maybe but I doubt it. Def not 22.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2018, 01:04:20 PM »

Offline Bates

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2018, 02:41:31 PM »
$6, $7, and $11 million.

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2018, 02:46:54 PM »
$6, $7, and $11 million.

Best of luck on those first two.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Offline Bill_Berg

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2018, 03:00:54 PM »
$7.5, $8.5, $10.5.

Offline Frycer14

• Rookie
  • Wheel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2018, 05:54:04 PM »

Yeah, that's way too optimistic. If they came under 27M I'd be pleasantly suprised
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 05:57:49 PM by Frycer14 »

Offline Coco-puffs

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2018, 10:19:42 AM »

Yeah, that's way too optimistic. If they came under 27M I'd be pleasantly suprised

I don't believe Nylander has a case to be paid more than 7M on his next deal and will most likely come in slightly under that (6.5 to 6.75) 

Matthews, if he signs this off-season seems to be a no-brainer at 11M  (between Eichel and McDavid... and the same as Tavares).  If he waits until after the upcoming season, things can change based on his performance- so the question is, is his camp in the lets wait until after this season to sign mode, or lets get it done now mode?

Anyways, lets assume 11M.... So we're at 18M.

So you think Marner is going to command 9M+?  If he were to sign before this season starts he's not getting much more than Nylander.  He could go out and have a huge campaign and that will definitely push his number up.  At the same time, I'd be really surprised if Marner wasn't the guy out of these three that signs the most team-friendly deal.  Not EXPECTING IT, but wouldn't be surprised.

Anyways, the whole point of my statement was to say I believe you will be pleasantly surprised.  I'm expecting these three to come in around 25-27M- depending mostly on WHEN Matthews and Marner sign their extensions.

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2018, 10:21:45 AM »
I am hoping for no bridge deals, let's lock down this offensive core.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2018, 05:12:37 PM »

I don't believe Nylander has a case to be paid more than 7M on his next deal and will most likely come in slightly under that (6.5 to 6.75) 

Matthews, if he signs this off-season seems to be a no-brainer at 11M  (between Eichel and McDavid... and the same as Tavares).  If he waits until after the upcoming season, things can change based on his performance- so the question is, is his camp in the lets wait until after this season to sign mode, or lets get it done now mode?

So you think Marner is going to command 9M+?  If he were to sign before this season starts he's not getting much more than Nylander.  He could go out and have a huge campaign and that will definitely push his number up.  At the same time, I'd be really surprised if Marner wasn't the guy out of these three that signs the most team-friendly deal.  Not EXPECTING IT, but wouldn't be surprised.

Anyways, the whole point of my statement was to say I believe you will be pleasantly surprised.  I'm expecting these three to come in around 25-27M- depending mostly on WHEN Matthews and Marner sign their extensions.

Tell them they've got $25M AAV to work with between them, and lock them in a room until they come out with a consensus. 

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2018, 07:34:18 PM »

I think that's a pretty big assumption and it's kind of the crux of the whole matter. I think most Leafs fans would be thrilled with Matthews at 11M and I think that's a reasonable sign that he might not come that cheap. Put Matthews at 13 and Nylander at 7 and that 27 figure looks very optimistic.
-Karl Marx

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2018, 08:10:15 PM »
Yeah, I have to agree.  Anyway, I don't know why Matthews would sign before he has to.  Let's say he's injury-free or close to it this year.  He could still have a down year statistically and get $11M -- they aren't going to refuse that ask -- and if he has a Tavares-goosed breakout year then it's a fast train to McDavidstan.

Offline Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2018, 11:32:41 PM »
Yeah, I have to agree.  Anyway, I don't know why Matthews would sign before he has to.  Let's say he's injury-free or close to it this year.  He could still have a down year statistically and get $11M -- they aren't going to refuse that ask -- and if he has a Tavares-goosed breakout year then it's a fast train to McDavidstan.
He could always get injured to, like any player and then it's gone. There's good and bad with signing now or later. The money isn't going to be all that different. And if he has a Tavares-goosed year, that doesn't necessarily work in his favour. Leafs can counter the JT effect as a reason for the big increase. He isn't getting McDavid money. He may have a case if he wins the Art Ross, Hart and Lindsay awards..

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2018, 01:09:46 AM »
He could always get injured to, like any player and then it's gone.

People always say this but I think if you really examined it, really looked at how many times someone has gotten hurt so badly that it really affected their ability to have a successful career afterwards, then I think it's the sort of thing that becomes something that most players aren't going to take all that seriously as an influence on them. It's like saying you should avoid going on holiday because your plane could crash and you could die. Is it true? Sure. Does it actually affect anyone's decision making? Not really.

And if he has a Tavares-goosed year, that doesn't necessarily work in his favour. Leafs can counter the JT effect as a reason for the big increase.

And then what? Be at an impasse? Risk ruining things with potentially the most important young player in the history of the franchise over a relatively small amount of money?

That's the problem with this line of thinking. Matthews, like McDavid, can essentially get whatever he wants because the likelihood is that if the Leafs don't want to give it to him, someone else will. We saw with McDavid that the Oilers were willing to give McDavid more money than McDavid eventually signed for which is why the comparisons to McDavid's contract don't really work as a singular point, you're expecting Matthews to take the same haircut McDavid did when Matthews may not be so inclined.
-Karl Marx

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2018, 09:47:49 AM »
My prediction for the contract announcements is coming up. July 31 let's go!!!!!!

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2018, 02:31:29 PM »
Let's get a move on. The last thing Nylander needs is to be asked about it 32 times per day. Maybe Dubas is in cahoots with the media and is trying aggravate Nylander into less $.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.