Author Topic: Marlies' Playoff Games  (Read 15018 times)

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Marlies' Playoff Games
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2018, 09:56:22 AM »
I haven't been able to get direct eyeballs on this lately, but this is what I was referring to re: Nielsen a couple of days ago in another thread:

#BeBlessed

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2018, 10:02:57 AM »
Nielsen would be a healthy scratch right now if either Rosen or Borgman weren't hurt.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2018, 10:28:48 AM »
Nielsen would be a healthy scratch right now if either Rosen or Borgman weren't hurt.

Poor Jesper Lindgren
#BeBlessed

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2018, 10:34:00 AM »

Poor Jesper Lindgren

He didn't really stand a chance with those other 3 righties.

I'd be very curious to see which of Borgman or Rosen would be scratched if they were both healthy. Marincin and Dermott would both be locked in.

That Marlies D is insanely stacked by AHL standards.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2018, 10:41:55 AM »

Poor Jesper Lindgren

He didn't really stand a chance with those other 3 righties.

I'd be very curious to see which of Borgman or Rosen would be scratched if they were both healthy. Marincin and Dermott would both be locked in.

That Marlies D is insanely stacked by AHL standards.

Lindgren sitting makes sense. I don't think we have any RD that can play LD.

I think Borgman would've sat in favour of Rosen, who has been on fire lately and has a more mature game away from the puck. Rosen does have a tendency to overshoot from low percentage opportunities though (it is a nice shot nonetheless).
#BeBlessed

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2018, 11:36:15 AM »
I think Borgman would've sat in favour of Rosen, who has been on fire lately and has a more mature game away from the puck. Rosen does have a tendency to overshoot from low percentage opportunities though (it is a nice shot nonetheless).

I think that that's probably what would have happened, and it's just crazy that a guy who played 48 NHL games this season could have possibly been a healthy scratch in the AHL playoffs.

Online Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2018, 12:23:04 PM »
 Will we see this line on the Leafs next season? I know Kapenan was in Grundstrom's place early on this season.
Johnsson - Aaltonen - Grundstrom

Online Bullfrog

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2018, 12:34:24 PM »
I haven't been able to get direct eyeballs on this lately, but this is what I was referring to re: Nielsen a couple of days ago in another thread:

That is hideously bad defense.

Offline sooner2220

• Prospect
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2018, 05:41:28 PM »
Should we read anything into the fact that since prospects Eemeli Rasanen and Keaton Middleton's playoff runs ended, that they weren't invited to join the Marlies on ATOs to experience a professional playoff atmosphere? Middleton's rights expire prior to the draft and if he fails to sign a contract, he will re-enter the draft.

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2018, 05:43:59 PM »
Will we see this line on the Leafs next season? I know Kapenan was in Grundstrom's place early on this season.
Johnsson - Aaltonen - Grundstrom

Yes quite the line, I can see Engvall somewhere on the big team as well, maybe not next year but he is looking very smooth
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

Offline Frank E

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2018, 06:07:08 PM »
Should we read anything into the fact that since prospects Eemeli Rasanen and Keaton Middleton's playoff runs ended, that they weren't invited to join the Marlies on ATOs to experience a professional playoff atmosphere? Middleton's rights expire prior to the draft and if he fails to sign a contract, he will re-enter the draft.

Bet your bottom dollar that Middleton isn't getting an NHL contract. Really though, there are much better defensemen getting scratched at the moment for the Marlies anyways.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2018, 11:53:50 AM »

Rasanen's OHL playoffs only ended last week, but he's joined the Marlies today. Probably just needed a bit of a break to recover from some bumps and bruises.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2018, 12:30:35 PM »

Rasanen's OHL playoffs only ended last week, but he's joined the Marlies today. Probably just needed a bit of a break to recover from some bumps and bruises.

I don't see him getting any playoff ice time barring catastrophic injury to the left side, as he's largely an unknown quantity to the coaching staff and is generally with the Marlies as more of a development team project. The lack of Middleton is interesting.

The other large d-man of 2016, Nicolas Mattinen, is playing for the OHL finals with the Hamilton Bulldogs against the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds. It's going to be a... dogfight.

#BeBlessed

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2018, 04:56:39 PM »
https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2018/05/01/sheldon-keefe-on-timothy-liljegren-perhaps-the-thing-im-most-impressed-with-is-how-physical-hes-been-and-how-hes-handled-the-physical-play/

We were talking about the impact that Andreas Johnsson and Travis Dermott and the impact they had in Game 5. It’s not always easy for a player to come down from the NHL level, especially from a playoff series like the one the Leafs played against the Bruins. Why was that transition kind of seamless for those two players?

Keefe: I think a big part of it you can attribute to their personality. Both guys are very positive people with great energy about them. I don’t think in any way do they feel they’re above this or that playing at this level is beneath them coming off of just finishing playing a Game 7. They were excited to come in. The circumstances were that it was an elimination game for both games, with a Game 5 in a best-of-five series. They were excited to be able to come in and make an impact. The other part of it is that both players — I listened to both of their interviews — said it felt like home, like this was where they’ve spent time and where they’ve been playing. They know the players and coaches, and what the expectations are. Those type of things make for a more seamless transition. Certainly, it’s a nice luxury for us to be able to add them in a game of that magnitude and we’re excited to have them moving forward.

The entire city would love to see the Leafs acquire a right-handed shot on the blue line that is not too expensive, that can be dynamic, that can also be responsible in their own end. On that note, how has Timothy Liljegren been this season?

Keefe: He’s been good. It’s not easy to be an 18-year-old defenseman in the AHL. There have certainly been times when you can tell he’s an 18-year-old defenseman playing in the American league and he’s trying to find his way and figure out how to use his unique skill set that he has — not only in a league with faster men and all of those types of things, but a smaller ice surface and a different style of play than he’s accustomed to. That’s taken some time, but he’s been a constant on our power play and really helps us there. He moves the puck really well and efficiently. Perhaps the thing I’m most impressed with is how physical he’s been and how he’s handled the physical play. At times, he maybe loses battles, but he gets right up and gets right into it. He’s not shy; he’s not afraid. Those are very good signs because the skill set is a very good one, for sure. As he continues to mature, and gets quicker and stronger, all of these things will just thrive that much more. We’re excited for him for sure and we think this season has been a very productive one.
#BeBlessed

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2018, 11:14:39 AM »

I don't see him getting any playoff ice time barring catastrophic injury to the left side, as he's largely an unknown quantity to the coaching staff and is generally with the Marlies as more of a development team project. The lack of Middleton is interesting.

The other large d-man of 2016, Nicolas Mattinen, is playing for the OHL finals with the Hamilton Bulldogs against the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds. It's going to be a... dogfight.

Funny Herman
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki