Author Topic: Leafs Playoffs - Casual Fan Edition  (Read 5925 times)

Offline sickbeast

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Leafs Playoffs - Casual Fan Edition
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2018, 04:25:10 PM »
Guys look, Nik the Trik is doing the exact same thing in this thread that he does everywhere else.  Quel surprise.  ::)

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2018, 04:25:10 PM »

Offline harps64

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2018, 04:50:48 PM »
Hi,

I'm a longtime member (since 1999, I think) and I noticed a post in the gameday thread for Game 1 about how it was a pretty slow day for a Leafs playoff game.

I think it's because of those who enjoy advanced stats shouting opinions down with "Corsi, Corsi, Corsi, math, math, math" whenever a new member expresses an opinion. I love the advanced stats and think they have value, but it seems to me that anyone who signs on here to voice their thoughts on the team these days just get mocked and have numbers thrown at their face. It never used to be this way.

This used to be a great community for all Leafs fans, and it seems if you post an opinion now that might go against the advanced stats, it turns hostile.

Anyway, that's my opinion (without "the numbers" to prove it), but for anyone who just wants to vent about the team, and who should or shouldn't play, based on the ol' fashioned eye test, please post here.

No "advanced stats" needed. Is that OK?

And here's the first opinion: I don't care how bad Matt Martin is at hockey, I think they need him on the fourth line against Boston.

Discuss.
I have noticed the same thing myself and I commented on it also, albeit not quite as peacefully as you have done.  I agree with you and it's a load of BS.  There are a handful of pig headed people here that ruin it.  One person in particular.  However the group of them tends to work together and any type of dissent is met with swift retribution.  It really takes a lot of the fun out of posting here.  I'm surprised some of these people live in a free country to be honest.  They can't deal with any sort of opposing opinion, and they mock those who don't share their own point of view.  Anyhow good luck with that.  It's not going to change.

Couldn’t agree more, this site used to be an enjoyable way of keeping up with the Leafs, but the past couple of years I found myself getting more and more agitated the way certain posters were be treated. It’s a shame to be honest. It seems if you're not in with the “in crowd” and agree with their elitist point of view, you are just shouted down.

Offline nutman

• Veteran
  • Marner... This kid has game.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2018, 04:56:30 PM »
Guys look, Nik the Trik is doing the exact same thing in this thread that he does everywhere else.  Quel surprise.  ::)

Hahahah..... Soooo true.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2018, 05:08:03 PM »
Guys look, Nik the Trik is doing the exact same thing in this thread that he does everywhere else.

I wrote a hopefully well-reasoned post in which I said what I thought about the issue raised without insulting anyone and framed entirely within the context of my opinion so...thanks?
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2018, 05:35:35 PM »
Guys look, Nik the Trik is doing the exact same thing in this thread that he does everywhere else.

I wrote a hopefully well-reasoned post in which I said what I thought about the issue raised without insulting anyone and framed entirely within the context of my opinion so...thanks?

Yeah it was good stuff.

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2018, 05:46:25 PM »

*Quelle surprise

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2018, 05:53:29 PM »
Get those advanced spellings outta here

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2018, 05:54:54 PM »

*Quelle surprise

See, that's something I would definitely do.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2018, 06:02:37 PM »
Speaking of being a dick about numbers, was there a statistical model on this earth that had VGK anywhere near what they've accomplished this year?

Offline Bonsixx

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2018, 06:18:12 PM »
Casual take: The Leafs need Andersen to steal this game tonight. Like, bona fide larceny of a game.

Then they head back home and Matthews finally has a breakout game, sending it to Game 7.

Fingers crossed, I guess.

Offline harps64

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2018, 06:20:30 PM »
Speaking of being a dick about numbers, was there a statistical model on this earth that had VGK anywhere near what they've accomplished this year?

I think we were just speaking about being a dick in general.

Offline harps64

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2018, 06:32:48 PM »
Casual take: The Leafs need Andersen to steal this game tonight. Like, bona fide larceny of a game.

Then they head back home and Matthews finally has a breakout game, sending it to Game 7.

A bit of luck wouldn’t hurt either. Still don’t think we’re out of this yet.
We had 105 pts this year, it’s not like we just eeked into a playoff
spot.

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2018, 06:46:44 PM »

I'm not holding my breath that Andersen suddenly pulls a gem out of his ass but I hope to be wrong about this. I'm not ready to shave yet

Online hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • TORONTO RAPTORS 2019 NBA CHAMPIONS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2018, 06:55:39 PM »

I'm not holding my breath that Andersen suddenly pulls a gem out of his ass but I hope to be wrong about this. I'm not ready to shave yet

It's going to take a lot more than Andersen, but yes, Freddie needs to step up.  The Leafs fate rests (partially) in his hands.

The stars will align for for our boys tonight.  C'mon Awesome & Nifty...go get 'em!

GO LEAFS GO!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 06:57:12 PM by hockeyfan1 »

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2018, 07:13:04 PM »

It's going to take a lot more than Andersen, but yes, Freddie needs to step up.  The Leafs fate rests (partially) in his hands.

The stars will align for for our boys tonight.  C'mon Awesome & Nifty...go get 'em!

GO LEAFS GO!
Hamburgler basically stole the Avs a game last night, that's what I'd like to see Andersen do

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2018, 07:13:04 PM »