Author Topic: Armchair GM 2018-2019  (Read 47985 times)

Offline Bullfrog

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: Armchair GM 2018-2019
« Reply #780 on: October 30, 2018, 02:13:50 PM »
At some point is it safe to say he's not getting opportunities not because of racial or personality issues, but rather because he's not good enough or hasn't earned them?

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #780 on: October 30, 2018, 02:13:50 PM »

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: October 30, 2018, 02:25:44 PM »
At some point is it safe to say he's not getting opportunities not because of racial or personality issues, but rather because he's not good enough or hasn't earned them?

How effective can someone be if you suppress his opportunity to play during his prime growth and development stage?

I think I'd like to see him get a good run with some good players before saying he's a bust for certain. It's literally the perfect time for the Islanders to try to add excitement to their team but it's obvious they're going for less tangible things right now.
#BeBlessed

Offline Guilt Trip

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: October 30, 2018, 02:29:58 PM »
Probably but who knows? Maybe he thinks he's hard done by and wants out of there. Apparently the AHL doesn't keep player's ice time.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 02:31:32 PM by Guilt Trip »

Offline Bullfrog

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: October 30, 2018, 03:08:29 PM »
He may very well be hard done by (and there are articles that substantiate this and the difficulty for minorities to prosper). I'm not discounting that as contributing.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: October 30, 2018, 04:20:36 PM »
Meanwhile...
Invalid Tweet ID
Tricky part is these two players play the position we have the most depth, and are on teams that are looking for players where we have the least, so nothing will likely come of this with the Leafs involvement.

But if they give us Puljujarvi for Nielsen-ish, then please make it happen.
#BeBlessed

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: October 30, 2018, 04:48:12 PM »

How effective can someone be if you suppress his opportunity to play during his prime growth and development stage?

I think I'd like to see him get a good run with some good players before saying he's a bust for certain. It's literally the perfect time for the Islanders to try to add excitement to their team but it's obvious they're going for less tangible things right now.

I always liked Ho Sang and thought he'd be a natural fit for the Islanders.  Apparently Trotz & Lou have other ideas.  Ho Sang maybe top six offensively but needs improvement on his defensive side.

I agree in that if a player needs further developing and has already shown promise, then at some point he should be given an opportunity to further it.

Online Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: October 30, 2018, 05:57:47 PM »
Meanwhile...
Invalid Tweet ID
Tricky part is these two players play the position we have the most depth, and are on teams that are looking for players where we have the least, so nothing will likely come of this with the Leafs involvement.

Yep, Edmonton is not a good trading partner for the Leafs.

Also, is he starting to smell like Yakupov or Paajarvi?

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: October 30, 2018, 06:28:42 PM »
Meanwhile...
Invalid Tweet ID

Yep, Edmonton is not a good trading partner for the Leafs.

Also, is he starting to smell like Yakupov or Paajarvi?

Note how they’re all drafted and ‘developed’ by Edmonton.
#BeBlessed

Online Andy

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: October 31, 2018, 07:20:24 AM »
Meanwhile...
Invalid Tweet ID

Wow, I didn't realize how young Puljujarvi is...he just turned 20 in May. Boy, Edmonton sure Edmonton-ed his development.

Online Andy

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: October 31, 2018, 07:24:16 AM »
Oh, and a trade proposal, if you will.....

Nylander + Gardiner for Elhers + Trouba

I feel Winnipeg might have an easier time securing Gardiner long-term than Trouba and Elhers has been struggling a fair bit and has seen his minutes limited drastically the last two years.

For us, Trouba is a much needed RH D-man and Elhers still has a huge upside and is locked in at 6mill per year for the next 6 years. Doable for anyone?

Offline A Finnish leaf fan

• Prospect
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: October 31, 2018, 07:42:16 AM »

I feel Winnipeg might have an easier time securing Gardiner long-term than Trouba and Elhers has been struggling a fair bit and has seen his minutes limited drastically the last two years.

For us, Trouba is a much needed RH D-man and Elhers still has a huge upside and is locked in at 6mill per year for the next 6 years. Doable for anyone?

If the Jets suggested that trade I think Dubas would take the offer and run. Ehlers is basically a LW version of Nylander locked into a contract Nylander should be getting and Trouba is a little less gifted offensively than Gardiner but much better defensively and also a coveted right-hand shot. Granted, Trouba also has a history of contract disputes but at least he has caved in with his demands.

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: October 31, 2018, 07:45:15 AM »

I'm not sure it does much for the Leafs unless you think the Leafs can sign Trouba to a long term deal which seems unlikely with their cap situation. If the Leafs can't really sign Gardiner long term, it doesn't seem like they'd be any more likely to with Trouba.

So then what are you left with? Ehlers for Nylander which is a trade I wouldn't make.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: October 31, 2018, 09:14:05 AM »
Oh oh!

Would you rather the Leafs have drafted: Rielly, Nylander
or
Trouba, Ehlers
or a mix and match... I'd go Trouba + Nylander but I honestly didn't know squat at the time of the 2012 draft.
#BeBlessed

Online Andy

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: October 31, 2018, 09:23:04 AM »

I'm not sure it does much for the Leafs unless you think the Leafs can sign Trouba to a long term deal which seems unlikely with their cap situation. If the Leafs can't really sign Gardiner long term, it doesn't seem like they'd be any more likely to with Trouba.

So then what are you left with? Ehlers for Nylander which is a trade I wouldn't make.

Yea, I guess it depends on what kind of contract you can get out of Trouba. I'd take Nylander over Ehlers straight up myself, but if it's the latter at 6 million or the former at 8, well, that extra 2 million (along with an extra 2+ if we drop Brown) could make a Trouba extension doable.

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: October 31, 2018, 09:30:48 AM »
Yea, I guess it depends on what kind of contract you can get out of Trouba. I'd take Nylander over Ehlers straight up myself, but if it's the latter at 6 million or the former at 8, well, that extra 2 million (along with an extra 2+ if we drop Brown) could make a Trouba extension doable.

Even with a conservative estimate of, say, 6.5 million long term for Trouba and 9 and 12 for Marner/Matthews you'd still be looking at around 50 million going to Ehlers, Trouba, Marner, Tavares, Matthews and Andersen. Then around 60 for Kadri/Rielly. So that'd leave you with 20 million or so to bring back 14 guys. That's tricky enough without the Marleau/Zaitsev deals, basically unworkable with them. 
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #794 on: October 31, 2018, 09:30:48 AM »