Author Topic: Armchair GM 2018-2019  (Read 48136 times)

Offline Frycer14

• Rookie
  • Wheel!
    • View Profile
Re: Armchair GM 2018-2019
« Reply #750 on: October 13, 2018, 03:22:39 PM »
Am I the only one that thinks they should try to extend Gardiner, like, now? If we're floating Nylander for some of those names, to me, it just shows the value of keeping what we have. Jake's had a rough start, and maybe is having a few confidence issues, particularly going into a contract year.. maybe he'd be happy to be part of this going forward and get back on track - I'd be very comfortable giving him Zaitsev money and term... and moving Zaitsev.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #750 on: October 13, 2018, 03:22:39 PM »

Offline Dappleganger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: October 13, 2018, 04:25:52 PM »
Am I the only one that thinks they should try to extend Gardiner, like, now? If we're floating Nylander for some of those names, to me, it just shows the value of keeping what we have. Jake's had a rough start, and maybe is having a few confidence issues, particularly going into a contract year.. maybe he'd be happy to be part of this going forward and get back on track - I'd be very comfortable giving him Zaitsev money and term... and moving Zaitsev.

I think they should trade him at the deadline.  :-[

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: October 14, 2018, 06:58:31 AM »
I really think your forward to trade is Kadri. I get that he's on a fantastic deal but that fantastic deal, paired with back 2 back 32 goal seasons makes him a pretty good asset.

Slot Nylander in at the Center position and you now have 3 lines with pretty fantastic hockey players down the middle(not that Kadri isn't a fantastic player).

Other than the Leafs centre depth being not great outside of the top 9, I agree the route to solving the cap crunch lies south of the top 4 forwards. Its a position of strength because of Nylander. Like trading Zaitsev should probably be the new priority once Liljegren/Sandin look likely to make the jump.

I think there's some serviceable centres in the minors and probably a few that could be had relatively cheaply to create a little depth.

Add Rosen to the list of defensemen that may be able to replace Zaitsev.

Other than Brooks, our Marlie centres are loans or career AHLers. If we move Kadri and slot Nylander there, we are one inconvenient injury from Tampa Bay 2016-17. Nylander and Kadri are insurance against that.

Its not likely we are drafting a Kadri-caliber centre for the next long while. We already saw UFA forwards dropping their asks to be part of this scoring committee so maybe something on the market will make sense, but I generally prefer not to buy players unless its a needle-mover (John Tavares).

I think Zaitsev brings a unique element to the backend that isnt immediately replaceable today, but I can see a deadline deal for someone like Nick Jensen being a valid substitute when that move is made.

While I agree that replacing Kadri isn't an easy task, and probably not doable, this team will need to give up some of their secondary strengths to keep the top 4 under contract.

As for Zaitsev, I'm curious as to what that unique element is that isn't immediately replaceable? Not doubting, just wondering.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: October 14, 2018, 09:43:34 AM »

While I agree that replacing Kadri isn't an easy task, and probably not doable, this team will need to give up some of their secondary strengths to keep the top 4 under contract.

As for Zaitsev, I'm curious as to what that unique element is that isn't immediately replaceable? Not doubting, just wondering.

Yeah I agree secondary depth is what should be plumbed for cap room. This is where is might be wise to trade off a Babcock-favourite as the opportunity arises: his valuation is, I think, esteemed by the traditional hockey man, and there could be some additional weight in a trade. If our development group does it right, they can just make new favourites.

Zaitsev diversifies our defence portfolio in that hes a heavy presence. Weve got a lot of go defenders, we dont really have any stop defenders. Ozhiganov is probably the closest in the system.

#BeBlessed

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: October 14, 2018, 11:51:24 AM »

Yeah I agree secondary depth is what should be plumbed for cap room. This is where is might be wise to trade off a Babcock-favourite as the opportunity arises: his valuation is, I think, esteemed by the traditional hockey man, and there could be some additional weight in a trade. If our development group does it right, they can just make new favourites.

Zaitsev diversifies our defence portfolio in that hes a heavy presence. Weve got a lot of go defenders, we dont really have any stop defenders. Ozhiganov is probably the closest in the system.

I've never thought of Zaitsev as a "heavy presence" on the blue line but I'll watch with more of an interest now.

Offline mr grieves

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: October 14, 2018, 12:17:11 PM »

Yeah, when I was fooling around with CapFriendly, the guys who start looking overpaid once the big-four are under contract, after Marleau of course, are Brown and Hyman. Both are highly replaceable with ELC players, provided the development program is what they say it is.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: October 14, 2018, 01:21:45 PM »

I've never thought of Zaitsev as a "heavy presence" on the blue line but I'll watch with more of an interest now.

Babcock thinks Zaitsev is basically the Hyman of the backend. Hes relatively fearless with physical engagement to body players off the puck for Gardiner or a forward to scoop up. Of course that is not a particularly high hurdle.
#BeBlessed

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: October 26, 2018, 12:49:45 PM »
https://mapleleafsnation.com/2018/10/25/the-leafs-should-look-to-acquire-jesse-puljujarvi/

An area where the Leafs are not lacking is in the RWer with defensive-liabilities department.
But an area where the Leafs ARE lacking is in the BIG winger department.

Jesse Puljujarvi was scratched by the Oilers last night; they've consistently struggled finding a fit for him, and we all suspect they're just shanking the development completely. How about we reunite McDavid with his Erie running mate, Connor Brown.
#BeBlessed

Online Bill_Berg

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: October 26, 2018, 12:55:22 PM »
I like calling him Pullmyjarvi. I don't know why exactly, but a chance to say that more often is welcome.

Online Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: October 26, 2018, 12:58:52 PM »
Jesse Poolparty

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: October 26, 2018, 01:21:50 PM »
No way Edmonton trades him yet. Come on be realistic people. They'll wait and destroy his value for another 2 years or so and then do it.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: October 26, 2018, 01:29:36 PM »
No way Edmonton trades him yet. Come on be realistic people. They'll wait and destroy his value for another 2 years or so and then do it.

I want him before they sign him to an overbearingly expensive long term deal though.
#BeBlessed

Online Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: October 26, 2018, 01:46:22 PM »

Funny thing was that draft year, Poolparty was the slam dunk consensus #3 pick but Columbus passed on him and went with Pierre Luc-Dubois instead.  They seem to have known what they were doing as Dubois had 48 points last season.  He's outperforming Poolparty so far.

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: October 26, 2018, 04:46:28 PM »

Do we have a mediocre defenceman who is nowhere as valuable we can send over for him? Like, I dunno, Zaitsev?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: October 27, 2018, 07:38:30 AM »

Do we have a mediocre defenceman who is nowhere as valuable we can send over for him? Like, I dunno, Zaitsev?

Or Gardiner who we're going to lose for nothing because it's highly unlikely we can afford him.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #764 on: October 27, 2018, 07:38:30 AM »