Author Topic: Armchair GM 2018-2019  (Read 47953 times)

Offline Frycer14

• Rookie
  • Wheel!
    • View Profile
Re: Armchair GM 2018-2019
« Reply #435 on: July 01, 2018, 03:22:28 PM »
If youíre still thinking, but what about Boston/Tampa... JT solves it. Now check out my hook while DJ Smith revolves it.

winner

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #435 on: July 01, 2018, 03:22:28 PM »

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: July 01, 2018, 03:31:14 PM »
With our complement of forwards, I think a cadre of mobile puck retrievers with good skating will be more than fine. Upgrade a Marlie or two and dump the slow.

I still think you can make upgrades. Especially if you can maybe find someone who might be easier to fit under the cap long term than Gardiner might be after next year.

I donít disagree that upgrades should be made whenever they are possible, but I definitely mean we donít need to be desperately shopping for defensemen the way itís been generally characterized these two years. Like there is no need to part with Nylander. Brown or Kapanen, sure. Hyman even. In other words, no thanks to breaking the bank for Tanev because Iím pretty happy with Holl/Carrick too.

I think you hold onto your centre and RHD prospects a little closer due to value, but freely move one if it brings in a needle mover.

Fair enough, that's the modern hockey take. That said, the marlies that Dubas built weren't exactly devoid of size and physical play - so I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. I'm certainly not advocating going full clarkson as an overreaction to the boston series, but a well rounded team not a bad thing -as long as speed isn't compromised, no?

Size is traditionally conflated with defensive (and general hockey) effectiveness. Iím not saying it doesnít help: longer and taller players can be stronger in full extension so it is an obvious advantage.

Speed and shifty skating and smart passing breaks down a strength advantage pretty quickly as strength is almost meaningless away from the puck. Yeah itíd be great to get some balance in the play styles and body types back there, but Polak was specifically there for strength and hard mashing and basically it resulted in the other team having the puck all the time.
#BeBlessed

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: July 01, 2018, 03:33:23 PM »
I donít disagree that upgrades should be made whenever they are possible, but I definitely mean we donít need to be desperately shopping for defensemen the way itís been generally characterized these two years. Like there is no need to part with Nylander. Brown or Kapanen, sure. Hyman even. In other words, no thanks to breaking the bank for Tanev because Iím pretty happy with Holl/Carrick too.

I agree re: Nylander but I do think they should really be looking to maximize the next couple of years and their shot at things. Not so much because of a window closing but just because of a sense of fearing the unknown.

So desperate? No. Aggressive? Yes.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: July 01, 2018, 03:37:15 PM »

I agree re: Nylander but I do think they should really be looking to maximize the next couple of years and their shot at things. Not so much because of a window closing but just because of a sense of fearing the unknown.

So desperate? No. Aggressive? Yes.

Yes thatís a good way to put it. I dont think we need a top flight minute eating 1RD, but if one is available for a reasonable price, it should happen. Our next 7 first rounders are trade down options anyway.
#BeBlessed

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: July 01, 2018, 04:46:08 PM »

If youíre still thinking, but what about Boston/Tampa... JT solves it. Now check out my hook while DJ Smith revolves it.

That's hilarious.  I wanted to go with a "Good Vibrations" rendition as song by Auston Matthews.

"Johnny T's on my backup.  Defence free, so run the score up"
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be.Ē - Khalil Gibran

Offline mr grieves

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: July 01, 2018, 05:21:48 PM »

So now that you've got Tavares in the fold do you maybe get real aggressive about going out and getting a defenseman?

I'm not sure who's available but I think you could still keep the big 3, excuse me, big 4 and put together some pretty attractive packages by skimming maybe a little bit of depth/offense off the top.

Say...a 1st, Brown, Grundstrom and Zaitsev? Or even be open to the moving of Liljegren?

Yeah I think we have to be prepared to trade guys we wouldn't have wanted to a day ago. That includes all the guys you mentioned plus even a Kapanen.

I'm there, yep.

Curious to see how Berkshire's Top 23 looks when updated to include the 2017-18 season...
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 06:08:10 PM by mr grieves »

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: July 01, 2018, 05:33:03 PM »
Dubas better get those Nylander and Marner 8 year deals done. Not sure if they bridge Nylander at this point or not

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: July 01, 2018, 08:04:16 PM »

Well that's interesting.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: July 02, 2018, 10:15:51 AM »

Letís gooooo
#BeBlessed

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: July 02, 2018, 10:33:19 AM »

Letís gooooo

I've gone from thinking that the Leafs might need to add something to get rid of his contract... to thinking that somebody would probably just take it for free... to thinking that we could actually get something of somewhat decent value for it.

Offline Frycer14

• Rookie
  • Wheel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: July 02, 2018, 10:37:20 AM »
My head says get him out of town, but I could see the value in him when the leafs are up 7-2 in the third and the other team is getting goony and needs a target.

Yes, I know it's not a good enough reason, but I'm still stuck in the 80's.

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: July 02, 2018, 12:42:50 PM »

Letís gooooo

I've gone from thinking that the Leafs might need to add something to get rid of his contract... to thinking that somebody would probably just take it for free... to thinking that we could actually get something of somewhat decent value for it.
I'll be amazed if Dubas can make a decent trade for Matt Martin. And by decent I mean not having to take any crap back.

Offline Frycer14

• Rookie
  • Wheel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: July 02, 2018, 01:29:01 PM »

Letís gooooo

I'll be amazed if Dubas can make a decent trade for Matt Martin. And by decent I mean not having to take any crap back.

I wouldn't. If Ryan Reaves can get almost $3M a season on a two year term, I can definitely see why someone might see more value in picking up Martin's contract.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 01:30:42 PM by Frycer14 »

Offline princedpw

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: July 02, 2018, 01:48:27 PM »

Letís gooooo

Hold out for a first rounder. 🍷🙃

Offline princedpw

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: July 02, 2018, 02:12:59 PM »

That's hilarious.  I wanted to go with a "Good Vibrations" rendition as song by Auston Matthews.

"Johnny T's on my backup.  Defence free, so run the score up"

Fun fact: Iím having trouble finding more than 8 other teams with a center who scored more goals than our 3rd liner last year.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #449 on: July 02, 2018, 02:12:59 PM »