Author Topic: Armchair GM 2018-2019  (Read 47726 times)

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Armchair GM 2018-2019
« Reply #390 on: June 26, 2018, 09:10:45 AM »

So with all the talk re: Tavares...what's everyone's plan B? Given that the odds are still pretty good he doesn't come here, are their UFA's out there to look seriously at besides him? If he doesn't sign do Bozak or JVR become guys you look to bring back? Are there trades you consider you wouldn't elsewise?

I would like to see Riley Nash and Calvin de Haan.  I think that de Haan is the type of dman that can make the Leafs better.  If he isn't available, I would see what it would take to get Tanev. 

"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be.” - Khalil Gibran

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #390 on: June 26, 2018, 09:10:45 AM »

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: June 26, 2018, 10:29:25 AM »
Nick Shore and either Anthony Duclair or Tobias Rieder would be pretty decent pick-ups to revamp our 4th line.

Pouliot could also be a decent depth pick up for the blue line.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: June 26, 2018, 10:34:09 AM »

If he was a righty, maybe. But with Rielly-Gardiner-Dermott already here and Borgman, Rosen, and Marincin as depth there's probably no room for another LD.

Offline Coco-puffs

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: June 26, 2018, 10:37:28 AM »

If he was a righty, maybe. But with Rielly-Gardiner-Dermott already here and Borgman, Rosen, and Marincin as depth there's probably no room for another LD.

Pouliot might be better than all of our depth guys on the left side though.  Dubas has been inquiring with Gardiner's agent about an extension.  If they seem far apart, I highly doubt Gardiner stays with the Leafs this season, which opens up a spot on the left side. 

Offline princedpw

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: June 27, 2018, 02:41:30 PM »
As for plan B, what about Stastny?  I imagine he will be very tempted to stick with Winnepeg as he had a fun run with them and was performing well there.

I doubt that offering Tavares a 1-year max $15.9 mill contract will have much effect because one would have to compare that with the risk-reward vs the reported $88 mill contract offer from the Islanders.  I wonder, however, if something like that would be more tempting for Stastny.  I often hear (on blogs and the like ... all purely speculation) of Stastny looking in the $6/year for 3 years territory.  Offering the guy a 2.5x his yearly rate; roughly 80% of what he might make over 3 years might be tempting.  And the leafs are one of the only teams that could do it.  It would be (sort of) like a Marleau++ contract.

Of course, there many negative consequences for such a gambit in the longer term.  For instance, Nylander, Matthews and Marner might say "hey -- if you are giving that 2nd rate newcomer that much money then surely you can give me X" and it might piss them off.  It might piss of Kadri and make him feel exploited on his paltry 4.5/year deal.

Just a thought.

I am hoping for Tavares of course.  But it seems so unlikely ...

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: June 27, 2018, 03:00:17 PM »
All due respects to the older, crappier Paul Statsny, but I wouldn't want the Leafs to commit any sort of term to him.  If you can get Statsny for 2 years I say sure, but that'll never happen.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: June 27, 2018, 03:13:39 PM »
I thought that this was a good explanation for why we shouldn't be in on Stastny even though we're in on Tavares:

Invalid Tweet IDInvalid Tweet ID
Tampa's another team like this. They might be in on Tavares but I can pretty much guarantee you they have absolutely no interest in Stastny.

Offline princedpw

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: June 27, 2018, 03:42:53 PM »
All due respects to the older, crappier Paul Statsny, but I wouldn't want the Leafs to commit any sort of term to him.  If you can get Statsny for 2 years I say sure, but that'll never happen.

... what about the idea of the max offer for 1 year?  That offer is likely more than what Statsny would get if he were to sign a 2-year contract and I can imagine it having some appeal.

Offline princedpw

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: June 27, 2018, 03:45:40 PM »
I thought that this was a good explanation for why we shouldn't be in on Stastny even though we're in on Tavares:

Invalid Tweet IDInvalid Tweet ID
Tampa's another team like this. They might be in on Tavares but I can pretty much guarantee you they have absolutely no interest in Stastny.

To me, these sound like arguments about why Toronto *would* be interested.  At center, after Matthews and Kadri, Toronto really only has guys they'd prefer to play on the wing (Marleau, Nylander) and AHLers (but not even that many of them!).

The reason that Toronto would be interested is that they are in desperate need of centers and they have the luxury of near-infinite cap room this year (and this year only).

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: June 27, 2018, 03:55:27 PM »
The reason that Toronto would be interested is that they are in desperate need of centers and they have the luxury of near-infinite cap room this year (and this year only).

They'd still be smarter spending their money on cheaper Cs on short contracts. Stastny is going to require an expensive long-term deal, and he's not likely to contribute enough to be worth the future cap issues that could cause.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Coco-puffs

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: June 27, 2018, 04:07:08 PM »

They'd still be smarter spending their money on cheaper Cs on short contracts. Stastny is going to require an expensive long-term deal, and he's not likely to contribute enough to be worth the future cap issues that could cause.

Agreed.  I'd be targetting Riley Nash and Derek Ryan.  Matt Cane's salary projection for them both sits at 2-3 yrs, 2.5M AAV (although I feel like Nash will get more).

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: June 27, 2018, 04:12:36 PM »
Agreed.  I'd be targetting Riley Nash and Derek Ryan.  Matt Cane's salary projection for them both sits at 2-3 yrs, 2.5M AAV (although I feel like Nash will get more).

Yeah. I'd be targeting them, too - even if the team does add Tavares, adding one of them would be helpful.

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: June 27, 2018, 04:15:46 PM »
Hey The Athletic people, my feed showed me that there was an article today (or yesterday) about how Kyle Dubas is going to have to be super busy if they don't land Tavares...what were they suggesting he does?

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
Armchair GM 2018-2019
« Reply #403 on: June 27, 2018, 04:45:38 PM »
Hey The Athletic people, my feed showed me that there was an article today (or yesterday) about how Kyle Dubas is going to have to be super busy if they don't land Tavares...what were they suggesting he does?

In net, Sparks is likely the backup so don’t be surprised to see one or both of Mac or Pickard traded. (rumblings around the league have Pickard being available)

On D they could look to a team like Minnesota or Winnipeg and eat a bad contract to get a capable RD from them or move a few of the depth guys to create a hole for Holl.

At forward they could look for a depth center like Nash or Ryan and if they miss out on Tavares expect that Nylander could get a long look at 3C. If Nylander is the 3C they might look for another option on the wing.

Depending on how things fall they speculated that there could be as many as 8 roster changes by the start of next season.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 04:47:42 PM by WhatIfGodWasALeaf »

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: June 27, 2018, 05:13:35 PM »
Thanks WIGWAL.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #404 on: June 27, 2018, 05:13:35 PM »