Author Topic: Armchair GM 2018-2019  (Read 50329 times)

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
Re: Armchair GM 2018-2019
« Reply #375 on: June 25, 2018, 01:31:51 PM »
I know I'm personally already fretting about who the Leafs have who'll get suspended in next year's playoffs.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Online Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: June 25, 2018, 01:33:12 PM »
Anyone else think that there might be a lack of sandpaper in the lineup, now that Komarov is likely out of the picture?

Have you not seen Marner's rabbit punch on the fringes of scrums (scra?)?

Sure, Kadri and Marner then.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #376 on: June 25, 2018, 01:33:12 PM »

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: June 25, 2018, 01:39:19 PM »
Sure, Kadri and Marner then.

Johnsson and Kapanen both have the kind of speed and tenacity that lends to being effective pest type players who forecheck well. Hyman brings some sandpaper, too, as does Brown. It's there. It's just that there's no one currently on the roster who provides it as their primary skill - and that's a good thing.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Online Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: June 25, 2018, 01:41:42 PM »
Anyone else think that there might be a lack of sandpaper in the lineup, now that Komarov is likely out of the picture?

I think the need for "sandpaper" is often overstated. While it would be great to bring in someone who can contribute some of that style, it shouldn't be a focus or that a player's prime contribution.

I don't think I'm overstating it, and Dubas had some guys that had a more physical style with the Marlies.

I think it's definitely an element that is missing from the lineup today...I'm not advocating going full Don Cherry here, I'm just discussing if it may be something they should look to add.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: June 25, 2018, 01:51:06 PM »
I really think the sandpaper that Komarov provided the team last season was overstated. Not once did I ever remember thinking "man, his physical play tonight really made a difference". I think it was more evident in his first season with the team.

I do think the team could use a bigger forward though, hence my Niederreiter/Simmonds posts.

Offline L K

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: June 25, 2018, 01:56:24 PM »
Yeah, I think they probably are missing some grit.  But I would really prefer that grit be in the role of a power forward who can contribute on both sides of the ice rather than having a token guy on the 4th line who throw a high number of soft hits while contributing minimally in other aspects.

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: June 25, 2018, 02:00:03 PM »

It doesn't happen for a million reasons but does anyone else think Pacioretty would actually sort of be a fun option here?
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Online Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: June 25, 2018, 02:41:54 PM »

It doesn't happen for a million reasons but does anyone else think Pacioretty would actually sort of be a fun option here?

He's only got one year left on his deal, so you could test drive him.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: June 25, 2018, 02:54:32 PM »
If there's a GM dumb enough to do something like Zaitsev for Pacioretty, it's Bergevin.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: June 25, 2018, 03:22:31 PM »

Possible Matt Martin trading partner?

Online Bullfrog

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: June 25, 2018, 03:42:28 PM »

So with all the talk re: Tavares...what's everyone's plan B? Given that the odds are still pretty good he doesn't come here, are their UFA's out there to look seriously at besides him? If he doesn't sign do Bozak or JVR become guys you look to bring back? Are there trades you consider you wouldn't elsewise?

I think they have to consider both of them. I think even the loss of Bozak is somewhat being ignored.

JvR's going to be expensive though, which wouldn't be a problem if the team didn't have Marleau for another two years.

If Johnsson can continue his development in a scoring role, I wouldn't mind seeing Rick Nash as a third line LW that could move up the line-up, though I don't know if he's come to terms with the fact he's a 3rd liner and will take the appropriate pay.

Thomas Vanek is always an option......

Offline caveman

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: June 25, 2018, 05:31:58 PM »
I'm fully on board with this.  Although, I'd still want some more depth at C.  As of right now, we're at Matthews-Kadri-Nylander-Lindholm.  It be nice to have someone (not Bozak, not Stastny) who can play wing and slide into the middle if an injury occurs- someone better than Marleau at playing the middle at that.  Riley Nash would be nice, but that still might be too big of a contract to hand out.

A guy like Mark Letestu might be a reasonable/cheap option at 4C.

Jay Beagle might fit in as a 4C...

Online Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: June 25, 2018, 07:13:17 PM »
If there's a GM dumb enough to do something like Zaitsev for Pacioretty, it's Bergevin.
Funny but it could happen, even though I think Pacioretty is a great player, I really want to see as many young Marlies on the Leafs as possible. 

Just an aside on another thread, Tavares is right now talking to Dubas, Bab's and Shanny, if these guys can't sell snow to Eskimo's, then who can?  It may not just be show me the money, he wants to win and if he wins in Toronto then his name is engraved in gold forever and he gets a permanent place on legends row.
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

Offline mr grieves

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: June 25, 2018, 09:39:46 PM »
So with all the talk re: Tavares...what's everyone's plan B? Given that the odds are still pretty good he doesn't come here, are their UFA's out there to look seriously at besides him? If he doesn't sign do Bozak or JVR become guys you look to bring back? Are there trades you consider you wouldn't elsewise?

My personal plan-B would be to move Nylander to the 3C spot and look into what it would cost to bring in a guy like Wayne Simmonds or Nino Niederreiter, both of whom are rumoured to be available.

Something like this, I think. Try to use of the cap space to take a few crappy contracts (Ennis, whatever's bad in WPG) in exchange for useful players (Niderreiter) or assets that might be packaged for a defenseman at some point.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: June 26, 2018, 08:55:02 AM »

Nick Shore and either Anthony Duclair or Tobias Rieder would be pretty decent pick-ups to revamp our 4th line.