Author Topic: Armchair GM 2018-2019  (Read 50622 times)

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Armchair GM 2018-2019
« Reply #270 on: June 01, 2018, 08:37:48 PM »
Getting Tavares and seeing Kadri on the 3rd line makes me laugh.  Best third line center in the game.

Also, that fourth line centre is a 'can't miss' type of player.

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 02, 2018, 10:36:14 AM »
Rumours have Hanifin being available:

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/ben-kuzma-the-tricky-trickle-down-effect-of-that-hanifin-trade-rumour

He's been linked to Vancouver.  I'm pretty sure that if the Leafs were to call, it would take Nylander. 
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gibran

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #271 on: June 02, 2018, 10:36:14 AM »

Offline AvroArrow

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 02, 2018, 11:52:51 AM »
This is just too much (it is absolutly not mine):
https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/715592
 :o

Offline mr grieves

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 02, 2018, 12:25:14 PM »
Getting either Tavares or Kovalchuk would be absolutely huge for the Leafs this summer.

Both.

I wonder why Lou was brought to the Island if not to do at least one of those deals -- Friedman's speculated it might be both of them.

Dubas beating Lou to both would be hilarious.

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 02, 2018, 12:36:03 PM »
I wonder why Lou was brought to the Island if not to do at least one of those deals....

I'm sure Lamoriello was brought in with the hope of the team being able to re-sign Tavares but I don't think you really need to look for reasons as to why NYI would want to bring in more front office people. Fans were literally paying for billboards calling for Garth Snow to be fired.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Offline mr grieves

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 02, 2018, 01:47:56 PM »
I wonder why Lou was brought to the Island if not to do at least one of those deals....

I'm sure Lamoriello was brought in with the hope of the team being able to re-sign Tavares but I don't think you really need to look for reasons as to why NYI would want to bring in more front office people. Fans were literally paying for billboards calling for Garth Snow to be fired.

Right... but that doesn't explain why Lou instead of other possible front office hires. Insider consensus is that he brings some sort of cachet or gravitas that'll convince Tavares the Islanders are team where you can win.

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 02, 2018, 02:02:41 PM »
Right... but that doesn't explain why Lou instead of other possible front office hires.

What explains Lamoriello instead of other possible front office hires is that they would want someone with cachet but, given that they haven't fired Snow, not someone who would supplant Snow or seriously look to do so. An AGM or a DPP sort isn't going to satisfy people who think Snow should be fired out of a cannon so they specifically needed a senior adviser type.

Insider consensus is that he brings some sort of cachet or gravitas that'll convince Tavares the Islanders are team where you can win.

Insider consensus was that his magical deal making abilities and hockey knowledge would see the Leafs fleecing other teams while he was here too. Instead we got a lot of "Well, he can't possibly talk Garth Snow out of Travis Hamonic".
-Karl Marx

Offline mr grieves

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 03, 2018, 10:19:08 PM »
Right... but that doesn't explain why Lou instead of other possible front office hires.

What explains Lamoriello instead of other possible front office hires is that they would want someone with cachet but, given that they haven't fired Snow, not someone who would supplant Snow or seriously look to do so. An AGM or a DPP sort isn't going to satisfy people who think Snow should be fired out of a cannon so they specifically needed a senior adviser type.

Is Lou a senior adviser? I thought he was the President of Hockey Ops and left a senior adviser role here.

Insider consensus is that he brings some sort of cachet or gravitas that'll convince Tavares the Islanders are team where you can win.
Insider consensus was that his magical deal making abilities and hockey knowledge would see the Leafs fleecing other teams while he was here too. Instead we got a lot of "Well, he can't possibly talk Garth Snow out of Travis Hamonic".

I'm not saying it's right or it'll work. But I don't see any reason to doubt Friedman reporting his first duty was to begin pitching Tavares, so I think it might be (part of) what the owner had in mins.

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 04, 2018, 07:23:33 AM »
Is Lou a senior adviser? I thought he was the President of Hockey Ops and left a senior adviser role here.

I don't know what his actual title is but I don't think he's above Snow in the food chain.

I'm not saying it's right or it'll work. But I don't see any reason to doubt Friedman reporting his first duty was to begin pitching Tavares, so I think it might be (part of) what the owner had in mins.

Like I said earlier, I'm sure anyone the Islanders would have hired would be expected to help with the Tavares situation. My point was more that there would be ample reason to hire Lamoriello even if the Tavares/Kovalchuk situations didn't exist as a PR move.
-Karl Marx

Offline Bullfrog

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 04, 2018, 08:29:07 AM »
Lamoriello is the president of hockey operations and is definitely above Snow. Per the Islanders: "He will have full authority over all hockey matters with the organization."

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 04, 2018, 09:12:47 AM »
Lamoriello is the president of hockey operations and is definitely above Snow. Per the Islanders: "He will have full authority over all hockey matters with the organization."

He's essentially in Shanahan's equivalent seat there.
#BeBlessed

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 04, 2018, 09:31:14 AM »

Yeah, I'm not sold. Like I said, there's lots of reasons for them to throw fans a bone like that without actually making structural changes and I'm not sure it makes a lot of sense to hire him in that capacity without firing Snow. Unless, as herman says, he's effectively in Shanahan's role which amounts to not really running the club on a day to day basis.
-Karl Marx

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 04, 2018, 09:36:23 AM »
"President of hockey operations" can mean different things to different teams. Some teams it's basically the GM. Some teams is an overseerer like Shanny. Some team it's just a glorified "senior adviser" position.

In Lou's case though, I can't imagine he'd take a job like this if it didn't come with full control and where he was essentially the GM as well.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 04, 2018, 09:40:08 AM »

Yeah, I'm not sold. Like I said, there's lots of reasons for them to throw fans a bone like that without actually making structural changes and I'm not sure it makes a lot of sense to hire him in that capacity without firing Snow. Unless, as herman says, he's effectively in Shanahan's role which amounts to not really running the club on a day to day basis.

I'm trying to recall where I heard/read it, but Shanahan said he was happy for Lou getting what appears to be his job but on the Island. Lou, relative to Shanahan, is not known for being hands off managerially.

In any case, Snow is reportedly very difficult to fire because of his contract stipulations, often described as a 'poison-pill' for the new ownership group. Snow deeply admires and emulates Lamoriello though, so this could be a Sith Lord situation.
#BeBlessed

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 04, 2018, 09:42:23 AM »
In Lou's case though, I can't imagine he'd take a job like this if it didn't come with full control and where he was essentially the GM as well.

If he didn't want to retire and no GM jobs were available? I can. It's a face saving move after getting pushed out by Doogie Howser.
-Karl Marx