Author Topic: Armchair GM 2018-2019  (Read 50564 times)

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Armchair GM 2018-2019
« Reply #90 on: April 27, 2018, 11:23:05 AM »
I would stay away from Weber. Not sure why people want to fork out assets, take on a ridiculous contract for a guy that is fading, slowing down and going to be hurt more often than not. He wa great defenseman but those days are long gone. I personally don't think he has that many years left. He played hard and think it's starting to catch up on him. If his contract was reasonable or Mtl retained a huge chunk then maybe but otherwise I hope management stays away.

Weber's still playing at a pretty high level. There's definitely some skating issues but he can pass the puck well enough to offset those, and playing beside a guy like Rielly would take a lot of pressure off him too.

This season he put up a 54.27% CF and scored 16 points in 26 games. Last season he still put up positive possession numbers in difficult minutes while dragging Alexei Emelin around and scored 42 points. He still definitely has a few more years left as a top pairing defenceman.

Obviously, a Doughty or Karlsson would be preferred but after that he's probably the best defenceman of those "rumoured" to be available.

His contract isn't great for sure (although given the last 3 years are at $1mil it's safe to assume he won't be playing those), but desperate times would call for desperate measures.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 11:26:27 AM by CarltonTheBear »

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 27, 2018, 11:26:56 AM »
Don't be disrespectful.
Don't be disrespectful.
Don't be disrespectful.
Don't be disrespectful.
Don't be disrespectful.
No one is giving away grade A Dman with wonderful contracts. Throw out solutions not shade.

Perhaps WIGWAL, and I, misunderstand your proposal.

Are you suggesting we trade one of Gardiner, Dermott, and Rielly, as well as Kapanen or Johnsson, in order to secure the services of Kris Russell?
I listed our valued trade chips and listed who I thought could be possibly available from other teams. For Kris I would say picks.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #91 on: April 27, 2018, 11:26:56 AM »

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 27, 2018, 11:28:11 AM »
Leave Weber alone, to old and injury prone.
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 27, 2018, 11:30:00 AM »
Carlton's take is the correct take.

I also agree that it's going to be tough to get him, given the habs media will directly compare the return to a return on Subban.

But having said that, the habs say they're rebuilding, so I would have to think they'd definitely listen to offers. 

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 27, 2018, 11:44:52 AM »

Prior to this season he never missed more then 4 games for 9 straight seasons. Given his style of play that's actually pretty remarkable.

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 27, 2018, 11:45:18 AM »

Prior to this season he never missed more then 4 games for 9 straight seasons. Given his style of play that's actually pretty remarkable.
If he retires it's not on us.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Offline Dappleganger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 27, 2018, 11:52:02 AM »
Put me in the acquiring Weber group if he can be had. He'd be serviceable on the Leafs even if his play is in decline.

Offline Andy

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 27, 2018, 11:56:56 AM »

If he retires it's not on us.

This is another reason I don't think it's thaaaat big of a risk. You can probably get Montreal to retain a bit of that cap hit too. Obviously the "aesthetics" of the deal is the main sticking point here. If Weber had been an FA signing for them, this could have been an easy move.

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 27, 2018, 12:10:36 PM »

I think people are going to have to come around to the fact that if they want the Leafs to make a major addition on the blueline they're not going to be able to be the choosiest beggars in the world. It's either going to involve paying through the nose or taking on someone with warts.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 27, 2018, 12:25:50 PM »

I think people are going to have to come around to the fact that if they want the Leafs to make a major addition on the blueline they're not going to be able to be the choosiest beggars in the world. It's either going to involve paying through the nose or taking on someone with warts.

Not blueline, but speaking of warts, I bet Spezza could be had for peanuts to fill a hole at centre.

He's got 1 year to go, and he's due $7.5m real money.

Offline Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 27, 2018, 12:31:10 PM »

Not blueline, but speaking of warts, I bet Spezza could be had for peanuts to fill a hole at centre.

And 7.5 million in cap hit. No thanks.

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 27, 2018, 12:42:58 PM »

Cap space really isn't an issue next season:  https://capfriendly.com/teams/mapleleafs

I'm looking at low asset cost options to fill the 3rd line centre job, but with some offensive upside.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 27, 2018, 12:57:40 PM »
I think our centre deficiency doesn't require too much creativity to deal with.
Swing for the fences for Tavares. That's an easy one. If it doesn't work, see what Thornton is looking for for 1 year. Internally, the options are: Nylander, Aaltonen. 4C is either Aaltonen or cheap UFA filler (maybe even Bozak).

Improvements to the backend are where more creativity and assessment are required, because a real-deal player will require moving a real-deal player in return (which shuffles things). Zaitsev started to round into form this season, stilted a run as it was. I am not entirely ready to cut bait there unless a better opportunity lands in our laps.

I'd love to see Martin Marincin get a fresh new chance with the Leafs. He has looked good with Zaitsev in the past.

This honestly would not bother me, but probably isn't Babcock's cup of tea:
Rielly - Gardiner
Marincin - Zaitsev
Dermott - Carrick
#BeBlessed

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 27, 2018, 01:09:32 PM »
I think our centre deficiency doesn't require too much creativity to deal with.
Swing for the fences for Tavares. That's an easy one. If it doesn't work, see what Thornton is looking for for 1 year. Internally, the options are: Nylander, Aaltonen. 4C is either Aaltonen or cheap UFA filler (maybe even Bozak).

Improvements to the backend are where more creativity and assessment are required, because a real-deal player will require moving a real-deal player in return (which shuffles things). Zaitsev started to round into form this season, stilted a run as it was. I am not entirely ready to cut bait there unless a better opportunity lands in our laps.

I'd love to see Martin Marincin get a fresh new chance with the Leafs. He has looked good with Zaitsev in the past.

This honestly would not bother me, but probably isn't Babcock's cup of tea:
Rielly - Gardiner
Marincin - Zaitsev
Dermott - Carrick

I will take this post as an invitation to debate further in a respectful manner.

You're an absolutely bananas crazy person on the defense lineup you posted there. 

I don't think Nylander ends up at centre, especially after the past 7 games.  And really, Aaltonen might fill the 4th line spot, or maybe not.  I think he'd be a backup plan, at best.

I'm all for going after Tavares and Thornton, but I think that's a long shot.  I'm more thinking of Spezza as a 3rd line centre, assuming we strike out on those 2 guys.

Where we'll agree is that if they want a quality RHD, it'll cost us a very good roster player.  I'd be fine with that, as long as his name isn't Auston or Mitch.

Offline Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 27, 2018, 01:14:20 PM »

Cap space really isn't an issue next season:  https://capfriendly.com/teams/mapleleafs

I'm looking at low asset cost options to fill the 3rd line centre job, but with some offensive upside.
I realize that but Spezza is hardly an offensive guy going by last year's stats.
78 GP   8G    18A    26PTS   -12 .... I can't see the Leafs paying 7.5 million for that.