Author Topic: Armchair GM 2018-2019  (Read 47998 times)

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Armchair GM 2018-2019
« Reply #75 on: April 27, 2018, 09:22:49 AM »
Yeah... I don't see any of Gauthier/Timashov/Bracco having any real trade value at this point. At least not to bring back someone who might have any kind of impact.

If we're looking for moves, Brown needs to be shopped. We all like him I know but you need to give up something to get something, and we're incredibly loaded on the right side anyway.

Brown, Zaitsev, and our 1st would be something that I'd be trying to sell around the league... with the hope that other people see Zaitsev more like Babcock does as opposed to how I see him.

I was thinking of them as part of packages, but you're probably right it has to be primarily an NHL transaction.

I've read recently (or heard, but can't remember the source) that prior to the Hamonic deal, Anaheim really mulled deeply about JvR for one of their D (or was it Andersen+?), but it didn't fully materialize (or our ask was too high).

Is Anaheim going to take one more big swing while Getzlaf is still mobile and Kesler's body parts are still intact? They're not going to want to be anywhere near the cap if they're rebuilding/retooling and we have cheap parts. Same thing for Carolina.
#BeBlessed

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #75 on: April 27, 2018, 09:22:49 AM »

Offline Andy

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 27, 2018, 09:41:11 AM »
Gauthier was born in Laval, was a former 1st rounder, and has size. If that ain't a perfect fit for our Hab friends, I don't know what is!

Soooo......Gauthier + Zaitsev for Weber??? Maybe also throw in a decent pick for some salary retention on Weber?

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 27, 2018, 09:52:15 AM »
Gauthier was born in Laval, was a former 1st rounder, and has size. If that ain't a perfect fit for our Hab friends, I don't know what is!

Soooo......Gauthier + Zaitsev for Weber??? Maybe also throw in a decent pick for some salary retention on Weber?

I've said this before but I'd push pretty hard on Weber. I think if they canned Bergevin there could have been a decent chance of Montreal shopping him, but I can't see Bergevin trading him. It'd be humiliating, especially with Subban getting the Norris nom.

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 27, 2018, 09:55:12 AM »

I've said this before but I'd push pretty hard on Weber. I think if they canned Bergevin there could have been a decent chance of Montreal shopping him, but I can't see Bergevin trading him. It'd be humiliating, especially with Subban getting the Norris nom.
I would crap myself if they somehow got Webber. I would literally pick my spot for the parade.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 27, 2018, 09:56:19 AM »
You want to have an impact trade for a D-man?  Make Kadri the main piece.  He's coming off a record goal-getting year, plays a 2-way game, and is signed for several more years at a very reasonable price. 

This frees Nylander to move to center, where he should be, and opens his spot on the top line for Kapanen.

Although I am not entirely sold on signing Tavares, if you use Kadri to get a top-pairing defenseman then you can use all that cap space on Tavares if you want.  If he re-signs with NYI before the deadline, then try to re-sign Bozak as 3C.

Sure it's a gamble if you can't get either Tavares or Bozak or at least Bozak's equivalent, but to me Kadri is our most promising trade chip.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 27, 2018, 09:57:30 AM »
You want to have an impact trade for a D-man?  Make Kadri the main piece.  He's coming off a record goal-getting year, plays a 2-way game, and is signed for several more years at a very reasonable price. 

This frees Nylander to move to center, where he should be, and opens his spot on the top line for Kapanen.

Although I am not entirely sold on signing Tavares, if you use Kadri to get a top-paring defenseman then you can use all that cap space on Tavares if you want.  If he re-signs with NYI before the deadline, then try to re-sign Bozak as 3C.

Sure it's a gamble if you can't get either Tavares or Bozak or at least Bozak's equivalent, but to me Kadri is our most promising trade chip.

If he brought in an under-30 top-3 RD with some term, yeah I'd consider moving him for sure.

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 27, 2018, 09:58:11 AM »

Although I am not entirely sold on signing Tavares, if you use Kadri to get a top-paring defenseman then you can use all that cap space on Tavares if you want.  If he re-signs with NYI before the deadline, then try to re-sign Bozak as 3C.

If he brought in an under-30 top-3 RD with some term, yeah I'd consider moving him for sure.

That's precisely what I had in mind.  I'm no good at making specific trade proposals.  Any suggestions as to who would fit the bill?

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 27, 2018, 10:05:51 AM »

That's precisely what I had in mind.  I'm no good at making specific trade proposals.  Any suggestions as to who would fit the bill?

Not saying there's an immediate fit for all these teams, but these are the guys I'd like to have on the team, to varying degrees (and most are impossible to pry):
Lindholm, Manson, Montour
Slavin, Pesce, maybe Faulk
Ekblad (though pricey)
Hamilton
Trouba
Girard
Provorov
Werenski, Jones
Severson
Chabot
McAvoy
#BeBlessed

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 27, 2018, 10:16:53 AM »

Not saying there's an immediate fit for all these teams, but these are the guys I'd like to have on the team, to varying degrees (and most are impossible to pry):
Lindholm, Manson, Montour
Slavin, Pesce, maybe Faulk
Ekblad (though pricey)
Hamilton
Trouba
Girard
Provorov
Werenski, Jones
Severson
Chabot
McAvoy

It should be possible to get either Anaheim or Carolina to part with one of those guys.

I think I would target the Canes.  A new GM may wish to make his mark.

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 27, 2018, 10:46:17 AM »
Our trade chips:
On D one of Gardiner/Dermott/Reilly and at W one of Kappi/Johnsson and picks.

Potential return (I tried to include only "realistic" targets, expiring contracts or teams looking for a shakeup):

Car: Faulk
Dal: Methot
Edm: Russell
LA: Doughty/Martinez/Muzzin
Min: Dumba (doubt it but maybe budget constraints?)
MTL: Petry/Weber (post firing of their GM)
NSH: Ellis (dream on)
Ott: Karlsson/Ceci
Phi: MacDonald
Pit: Oleksiak
SJ: Martin/Braun/Dillon
STL: Gunnarsson/Bouwmeester (actually think B is a fairly realistic option and the type of D Tor is lacking)
VAN: Edler/Del Zotto

Potential UFAs:
Johnson, Hamhuis, Thorton, Carlsson
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 10:48:40 AM by cabber24 »
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2018, 10:47:21 AM »
Don't be disrespectful.
Don't be disrespectful.
Don't be disrespectful.
Don't be disrespectful.
Don't be disrespectful.

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2018, 10:50:03 AM »
Don't be disrespectful.
Don't be disrespectful.
Don't be disrespectful.
Don't be disrespectful.
Don't be disrespectful.
No one is giving away grade A Dman with wonderful contracts. Throw out solutions not shade.

Online Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 27, 2018, 10:57:08 AM »
Don't be disrespectful.
Don't be disrespectful.
Don't be disrespectful.
Don't be disrespectful.
Don't be disrespectful.
No one is giving away grade A Dman with wonderful contracts. Throw out solutions not shade.

Perhaps WIGWAL, and I, misunderstand your proposal.

Are you suggesting we trade one of Gardiner, Dermott, and Rielly, as well as Kapanen or Johnsson, in order to secure the services of Kris Russell?

Offline Andy

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 27, 2018, 10:59:14 AM »

Yea, I guess one major roadblock is Bergevin and him wanting to save as much face as possible on that Subban deal. It's a shame; I think it would work well (or some variation of that deal) for both teams.

Online azzurri63

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 27, 2018, 11:08:24 AM »

Yea, I guess one major roadblock is Bergevin and him wanting to save as much face as possible on that Subban deal. It's a shame; I think it would work well (or some variation of that deal) for both teams.

I would stay away from Weber. Not sure why people want to fork out assets, take on a ridiculous contract for a guy that is fading, slowing down and going to be hurt more often than not. He wa great defenseman but those days are long gone. I personally don't think he has that many years left. He played hard and think it's starting to catch up on him. If his contract was reasonable or Mtl retained a huge chunk then maybe but otherwise I hope management stays away.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #89 on: April 27, 2018, 11:08:24 AM »