Author Topic: Undisclosed team makes offer for Franson  (Read 7192 times)

Offline Madferret

• Veteran
  • CHUCK NORRIS X2
    • View Profile
Re: Undisclosed team makes offer for Franson
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2011, 11:18:52 AM »
A player & a 2nd for a guy who has been a healthy scratch pretty much all season? Sounds fishy...

Maybe the player is Wayne Redden

I'm pretty sure if it was Redden Burke's doors would be blown all over the place.

Really? For another $6M dman? I just cant imagine

....as in he'd rip the doors off and throw them around in anger.....

Offline Tigger

• All Star
  • You can play
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2011, 11:23:02 AM »
A player & a 2nd for a guy who has been a healthy scratch pretty much all season? Sounds fishy...

Maybe the player is Wayne Redden

I'm pretty sure if it was Redden Burke's doors would be blown all over the place.

Really? For another $6M dman? I just cant imagine

....as in he'd rip the doors off and throw them around in anger.....

Ah, here I was thinking Wade sneezed or something...
"My father was born shortly after the Wright Brothers" Charlie Duke

Offline cw

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2011, 11:24:54 AM »
Back when they landed Franson, I felt he was 6/7 dman that was suspect defensively. Since his arrival, he's done nothing to change that impression.

I suspect a part of their thinking may relate to Keith Aulie. He's a team worst -9 for the Marlies (second worst on the Marlies is -5). I haven't seen a lot of the Marlies yet but he wasn't sharp when I did see him and I have seen other reports that conclude he's struggled.

As well, Lashoff and Aulie (who seemed to play better more recently) have been hurt.

If one of the Leafs top 6 get hurt and they've dumped Franson, we'd be looking at #10 on the depth chart playing in the Leafs top 6 right now. That might make a GM slow down on making a deal.

Stebro

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2011, 11:25:31 AM »
I say do it, and if we get a player as well I certainly hope that it will be a big speedy winger.

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2011, 11:41:56 AM »
Back when they landed Franson, I felt he was 6/7 dman that was suspect defensively. Since his arrival, he's done nothing to change that impression.

I suspect a part of their thinking may relate to Keith Aulie. He's a team worst -9 for the Marlies (second worst on the Marlies is -5). I haven't seen a lot of the Marlies yet but he wasn't sharp when I did see him and I have seen other reports that conclude he's struggled.

As well, Lashoff and Aulie (who seemed to play better more recently) have been hurt.

If one of the Leafs top 6 get hurt and they've dumped Franson, we'd be looking at #10 on the depth chart playing in the Leafs top 6 right now. That might make a GM slow down on making a deal.

Yeah, I mean its only a matter of time before one of the D get hit with the injury bug.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline cw

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2011, 12:48:28 PM »

Yeah, I mean its only a matter of time before one of the D get hit with the injury bug.

Moments ago, I just heard this interview with Burke:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2011/11/16/burke_turco/

Burke says Lashoff is done for the season due to injury. And he reinforced my point about injuries feeling the minute they trade a dman, someone would get hurt.

Burke also annihilates the rumour about Turco:
"We have zero interest in Marty Turco. None. Nada,"
but concedes they'll be sniffing around looking for a goalie if Reimer doesn't return soon.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 12:50:33 PM by cw »

Offline Bender

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2011, 01:14:07 PM »
"I'm getting deluged with offers for him."

Burke is surprised that the Leafs haven't had a D injury this year yet, which is the reasoning he wants to keep Franson for now.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline TML fan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2011, 04:04:26 PM »
Even Sportsnet calls him Colbourne. Maybe he should just change his name?  :P

Offline A Weekend at Bernier's

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2011, 04:06:18 PM »

Burke is surprised that the Leafs haven't had a D injury this year yet, which is the reasoning he wants to keep Franson for now.

No way.  This is a case of Burke trying to maximize value, not keep an insurance policy.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2011, 05:28:27 PM »

No way.  This is a case of Burke trying to maximize value, not keep an insurance policy.

It's not really an insurance policy. Burke's spoken in the past about how playoff teams need 8-10 NHL defencemen in their system. Now that he's finally getting close to that number here, why would he trade one of them away?

Offline Bender

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2011, 05:36:27 PM »

I'm not making this up. He stated this in today's interview.

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Sucker punching Logan Couture
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2011, 05:44:11 PM »

So Burke's plan to maximize Franson's value is to keep him in the press-box as a struggling team's 7th defenseman?

Savvy.
Sports are like the reward of a functioning society
- Sean Doolittle

Offline caveman

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2011, 07:51:23 PM »
It's getting to the point of being ridiculous. Franson is a big,young D-man with some talent. Making him sit for almost every one of the first 20 games makes no sense. Play him or trade him.

Offline Bender

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2011, 07:53:12 PM »
It's getting to the point of being ridiculous. Franson is a big,young D-man with some talent. Making him sit for almost every one of the first 20 games makes no sense. Play him or trade him.

Well, imo there's no real rush. Two of our main callups have injuries in the A right now. If one of our D goes down we have a more capable NHLer to fill in than an AHL callup. That's fine by me. You don't want to be in the same mess as we are now with the forwards due to injury.

Offline A Weekend at Bernier's

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2011, 10:43:45 AM »

So Burke's plan to maximize Franson's value is to keep him in the press-box as a struggling team's 7th defenseman?

Savvy.

Rather short sighted of you, Nik, or maybe I'm lost in the ambiguity of your response.  Burke's proclamations aside, I don't believe he'd keep a player like Franson sitting in the pressbox in the event a starter gets hurt.  I agree sitting him is not making Franson look great, but I also think GM's would look at the totality of a player brings and not simply the fact that he's had a rough patch to start a year with a new team. 

Burke is waiting for the right deal to be offered and Franson will be moved, simple as that.  In my opinion, saying that he does not want to move Franson because a Leafs' defenceman will get hurt is simply a way of telling other GMs that Burke will not move CF simply for the sake of moving him.