Author Topic: The Official Movie Thread  (Read 142636 times)

Offline L K

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Movie Thread
« Reply #1275 on: January 18, 2022, 10:29:15 PM »
Yeah I don’t get Eternals. Just finished it and I spent the entire time wondering why I was supposed to care about any of them.    It felt like a very flat movie. 

Offline Frank E

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: January 19, 2022, 09:38:40 AM »
Where do you stream that LK?

https://www.justwatch.com/ca/

This site is great to find out where the hell something is streaming. Just make sure you've got the /ca at the end.

Thanks Frog.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #1276 on: January 19, 2022, 09:38:40 AM »

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: January 19, 2022, 06:58:32 PM »
Yeah I don’t get Eternals. Just finished it and I spent the entire time wondering why I was supposed to care about any of them.    It felt like a very flat movie.

Yes I felt the exact same way. It ended. I turned off the TV. The whole family just stood up and walked away from the TV. No discussion. No comments. That's not normal for us as a family.

Offline Bullfrog

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: January 23, 2022, 06:44:26 PM »
Well, I watched it. Not too much to add that hasn't already been said. Maybe it's important for canon, but why did it have to be in the overall Marvel universe? That is, the really lame reasoning for not intervening against Thanos could have been avoided. Also, this might have made for a decent 2nd Eternals movie. There needed to be a first that explained who they were better.

Aside from the plot (which is slightly important), the humour someone ruined it. I was confused if it was supposed to be a comedy or a dramatic action movie. Trying to do it all did not work.

I'm also no astro-physicist, but if a celestial needs tremendous amounts of energy to develop, why not grow inside a star?

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: January 26, 2022, 09:14:53 AM »
I think it would have been better served in the tv series format. It's a pretty large ensemble and each one has some chunky history to develop story from that got short changed. I would not have minded a 'History Re-write of the week' for 4 episodes before coalescing into the season's arc in earnest. In film form, I cared about no one. Except Lauren Ridloff's Makkari was really fun and sassy in her criminally brief screen time.

Watched it last night, and this is largely along the lines of what I felt, as well. Could have made for a very interesting limited series. Introduce the characters more slowly and deliberately, develop more backstory, etc. There was potential there, but a little much to try to cover in ~2:30.

With the concepts and stories the MCU is now starting to introduce, this could develop into a real issue. They're getting into some of the more "out there" stuff that, not all that long ago, would have seemed too far from the mainline stories and characters to be massmarketed - magic, a wide pantheon of gods, the multiverse, the whole Secret Invasion series, etc. - and these definitely include some sillier characters in situations they're going to want to present in a more serious fashion. There will be a tricky balance of humour, spectacle, and drama for them to navigate. We've seen Marvel handle that with some success in the past (and they've done a really good job of it with their Disney+ series so far), so, hopefully, they can get back on track with the next few films. Going to interesting to see how a lot of it plays out.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Online Arn

• Veteran
  • Belfast Giant, Toronto Maple Leaf
    • View Profile
    • Kingdom of the Giants
« Reply #1280 on: January 26, 2022, 12:40:22 PM »
I worry that it’s getting too much. Having to watch 3 or 4 series of 6 episodes on top of all the movies in case you miss bits and pieces that impact the movie storyline is, I think, dangerous territory and one that I’m not sure they can get right.

I say that having watched most of it so far…

Eternals was dreadful and comfortably the worst thing they’ve produced yet.
I Saw Jay McClement Score.

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Jerk Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: January 26, 2022, 12:44:06 PM »
With the concepts and stories the MCU is now starting to introduce, this could develop into a real issue. They're getting into some of the more "out there" stuff that, not all that long ago, would have seemed too far from the mainline stories and characters to be massmarketed - magic, a wide pantheon of gods, the multiverse, the whole Secret Invasion series, etc. - and these definitely include some sillier characters in situations they're going to want to present in a more serious fashion. There will be a tricky balance of humour, spectacle, and drama for them to navigate. We've seen Marvel handle that with some success in the past (and they've done a really good job of it with their Disney+ series so far), so, hopefully, they can get back on track with the next few films. Going to interesting to see how a lot of it plays out.

I think what we're seeing is a result of where they were before Disney bought Fox and reacquired the rights to the Fantastic Four/Xmen and so on. They were running fairly low on bankable characters after having used what they did in the first Avengers movies and the TV shows on Netflix so they turned to some pretty dire IP's with some good results(Shang-Chi) and some bad.

I imagine that after this current crop we're going to see a hard right turn into X-Men and Fantastic Four stuff maybe culminating in a Secret Wars-ish mega movie.
I wish to hell I’d never said "Winning isn’t everything it’s the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you’ve won.
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Bullfrog

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: February 13, 2022, 01:26:53 PM »
I forgot how awful/awesome Highlander is.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: February 13, 2022, 09:57:21 PM »
OH DIP, that's a pretty big reveal in the Dr. Strange trailer
"Can't let the poison get to you"
#BeBlessed

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: February 14, 2022, 12:16:47 PM »
Thank you ;)
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: February 14, 2022, 12:25:30 PM »
Watched The Power of the Dog on Netflix, its one of this years main Oscar contenders, very dark and slow moving. New Zealand stands in for Montana pretty well. Reminded me of There Will be Blood in some ways.
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

Offline Iafrate

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: February 14, 2022, 12:31:49 PM »

Nothing says authenticity like having a Frenchman play a Scotsman - French accent and all. But none of us seemed to care back then.

If this happened today Christopher Lambert would be cancelled. Probably also for playing Japanese god Raiden in mortal kombat.

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: February 24, 2022, 01:20:45 PM »
Watched most of Dune on the tube last night, my wife and son didn't understand it at all.  I think having read the book a zillion times made it super enjoyable for me, not so much for them.  Going to watch the rest tonight.
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

Offline Iafrate

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: March 06, 2022, 09:12:59 PM »
Went to see Batman today and really enjoyed it. It is a little long but that didn’t bother me.

You know what this movie felt like? A mash up of the tell tale Batman game and the Arkham series of Batman games. I felt like I was watching a movie adaptation of those games.

This movie kinda felt like the 2nd half of Batman begins and all of the dark knight.

Anyway, if you like dark Batman, you’ll like this movie.

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Jerk Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: March 27, 2022, 11:44:31 PM »

More fights at the Oscars than at the Leafs game.
I wish to hell I’d never said "Winning isn’t everything it’s the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you’ve won.
- Vince Lombardi