Author Topic: The Official Movie Thread  (Read 107904 times)

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Movie Thread
« Reply #1185 on: February 10, 2020, 11:15:44 AM »
How about Marriage Story? I saw an honest trailer jokingly refer to it as Kramer v. Kramer lol.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: February 10, 2020, 11:38:34 AM »
How about Marriage Story? I saw an honest trailer jokingly refer to it as Kramer v. Kramer lol.

I've never seen Kramer vs. Kramer so I don't know if the comparison works but I think it's a lot like all of Baumbach's movies. If you have a high tolerance for getting in depth with the troubles and issues faced by upper class artistic types then it has good writing and performances. The downside is it felt genuinely at times like being on the inside of a collapsing marriage which, again, strains the definition of being traditionally entertaining.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #1186 on: February 10, 2020, 11:38:34 AM »

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: February 10, 2020, 01:26:49 PM »
Ive been wanting to see Parasite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma1rD2OP85c

You should also watch Snowpiercer
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 07:22:51 AM by herman »
#BeBlessed

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: February 14, 2020, 08:03:29 PM »

I've never seen Kramer vs. Kramer so I don't know if the comparison works but I think it's a lot like all of Baumbach's movies. If you have a high tolerance for getting in depth with the troubles and issues faced by upper class artistic types then it has good writing and performances. The downside is it felt genuinely at times like being on the inside of a collapsing marriage which, again, strains the definition of being traditionally entertaining.
Kramer vs Kramer was the biggest cop out ending in the history of cinema, a great movie up to the very end and then ruined by an unbelievable ending. Without ruining it to much for those who have not seen it.  The last shot in the movie should have been tears running down Dustin Hoffmans face as he looks out the window and see's his son and Meryl Streep walking away.  What BS.   
I haven't seen Parasite but am now eager to do so.
Without seeing it hard to comment, but the Oscars used to have best Foreign Language Awards for foreign language films, and we have now had two best picture Nominees, one a winner in Parasite, the other was Roma which I don't think won.  Ce la Vie as 1917 did win best cinematography which it so certainly deserved.
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: February 14, 2020, 08:10:18 PM »
Without seeing it hard to comment, but the Oscars used to have best Foreign Language Awards for foreign language films

They still do. Parasite won that as well.
-Karl Marx

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: February 14, 2020, 08:16:02 PM »
Without seeing it hard to comment, but the Oscars used to have best Foreign Language Awards for foreign language films

They still do. Parasite won that as well.
Good for that, but I don't believe they were accepted in the Best Picture category before a few years ago when they opened it up.  Can you imagine some of Truffaut's and Fellini's films accepted, Sajat Ray from India, Kurasawa from Japan. All genius film makers.
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: February 14, 2020, 08:29:17 PM »
Good for that, but I don't believe they were accepted in the Best Picture category before a few years ago when they opened it up.

There was never any actual rule about foreign language films being considered for best picture it's just rare. But prior to Roma movies like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Life Is Beautiful were Best Picture nominees along with a few others over the years.
-Karl Marx

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: February 14, 2020, 08:38:25 PM »
Good for that, but I don't believe they were accepted in the Best Picture category before a few years ago when they opened it up.

There was never any actual rule about foreign language films being considered for best picture it's just rare. But prior to Roma movies like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Life Is Beautiful were Best Picture nominees along with a few others over the years.
Tru Dat Nik and thanks for the heads up ;  Life is Beautiful won three Academy Awards (including Best Foreign Language Film and Best Actor for Benigni). It was also nominated for Best Picture.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon has won over 40 awards, and was nominated for 10 Academy Awards, including Best Picture, and won Best Foreign Language Film, Best Art Direction, Best Original Score and Best Cinematography,[5] receiving the most nominations ever for a non-English language film at the time, until 2018's Roma tied this record.

Interesting research:  Even though a separate prize has existed for foreign language films since the 1956 Academy Awards, such films continue to be eligible for Academy Awards in other categories, including Best Picture, provided that they have been commercially released in Los Angeles County and that they comply with the special rules governing those categories.
                                           Sunryn Suzuki