Author Topic: The Official TV Thread  (Read 148797 times)

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: The Official TV Thread
« Reply #1665 on: February 14, 2020, 08:13:05 PM »
Just watched the Documentary on Arron Hernadez on Netflix, crazy what he did.  Murdered 3 people, 2 just before signing a 5 year 40 Million contract with the and then murdered his fiances sisters boyfriend (who was a friend of his) a few streets from his mansion.  He also tried to murder another guy. 
A tremendous athlete who was more than completely fu_ked up.

Also they were going to cancel Ray Donovan without tying up the story lines. One of my favorite all time series. I just heard they are doing either more episodes or a film to conclude so many great seasons of watching Liev Schreiber and Jon Voight tearing up the scenery.
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: February 15, 2020, 04:13:53 AM »
Just watched the Documentary on Arron Hernadez on Netflix, crazy what he did.  Murdered 3 people, 2 just before signing a 5 year 40 Million contract with the and then murdered his fiances sisters boyfriend (who was a friend of his) a few streets from his mansion.  He also tried to murder another guy. 
A tremendous athlete who was more than completely fu_ked up.

I read the book written by his brother entitled “The Truth about Aaron.”

Here is my review as seen on Kobo:
https://www.kobo.com/ca/en/ebook/the-truth-about-aaron

(5-star rating) A Sobering Read
This book written by Jonathan Hernandez, brother of NFL superstar Aaron Hernandez and the many troubles, problems, and personal trauma that plagued him throughout his life. While some may dismiss this book as a sop story in defence of yet another criminally-driven NFL player, most will look upon this story as a sobering read and reminder of what the perils of undetected CTE -- a severe brain disease primarily attriutable to both football players and athetes in physical or contact sports. While Aaron Hernandez did suffer early cildhood trauma -- he was sexually molested by a male as early as age six and would later play a role in his sexual gender preferences -- the major thing that stands and what appears to be the cause of his emotional, sychological, and mental-abnormal states is directly related to CTE. Aaron Hernandez was a young, highly skilled athlete who eventually would become the second highest paid tight end in the league, and for whom life seemed too difficult for him to make any sense of it. His choice of friends, his inability to make proper decisions ~& choices, his many mood swings, his homosexuality (he had a daughter by way of his girlfriend and the woman he loved but just could't provide neither intimacy wich made him feel guilty), etc., etc. Jonathan Hernandez portrays his beloved brother as a troubled soul who couldnt face his demns to get the help he needed, and the writer who believes that perhaos they (his family) should have done more for Aaron.

by L.D. on 6 February, 2019
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 04:28:18 AM by hockeyfan1 »

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #1666 on: February 15, 2020, 04:13:53 AM »

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: February 22, 2020, 11:29:17 PM »

Something else I'd recommend is Hulu's new reworking of High Fidelity starring Zoe Kravitz. Somehow they took a novel about a disaffected white male North Londoner and his existential crisis and have reimagined it with a biracial bisexual woman in Brookyn and it's both shockingly faithful to the source with some really clever updates for modern times.

Nick Hornby's stuff has always seemed tailored to those of us who are driven by our obsessions even when they hurt us(which seems applicable tonight) and this is no exception. Plus an absolutely incredible soundtrack.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: February 23, 2020, 07:37:40 PM »

Something else I'd recommend is Hulu's new reworking of High Fidelity starring Zoe Kravitz. Somehow they took a novel about a disaffected white male North Londoner and his existential crisis and have reimagined it with a biracial bisexual woman in Brookyn and it's both shockingly faithful to the source with some really clever updates for modern times.

Nick Hornby's stuff has always seemed tailored to those of us who are driven by our obsessions even when they hurt us(which seems applicable tonight) and this is no exception. Plus an absolutely incredible soundtrack.

That's good to hear. I was excited to hear that they were doing this.