Author Topic: Stanley Cup Final: Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Nashville Predators  (Read 4631 times)

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Stanley Cup Final: Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Nashville Predators
« Reply #105 on: June 10, 2017, 06:33:40 PM »
I don't care who's playing, there's nothing like a Saturday night match up in the Cup finals. There's something about Saturday night that just means "hockey" -- I guess it's the tradition of HNIC, but no matter what it is I get extra psyched. Yessiree, there is nothing so good as playoff hockey on a Saturday nighpffffffffffffffffffffffffffttttt

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #105 on: June 10, 2017, 06:33:40 PM »

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 11, 2017, 10:55:07 PM »
Garbage goal, garbage series.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 11, 2017, 11:20:38 PM »

You know, if you think about it, the whole thing of each guy grabbing the cup and skating around with it is kind of a crummy thing to do if the cup is won in the other team's rink.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • #TorontoStrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 12, 2017, 04:57:26 AM »
Congratulations Pittsburgh Penguins, 2017 Stanley Cup Champs!  This is the Pittsburgh franchise's fifth Stanley Cup overall.

And to Sidney Crosby on winning his third career Cup and on being named the Conn Smythe Trophy winner as MVP.

Congratulations are also in order for the Nashville Predators and more specifically their fans  & (country music) celebrities, who turned Music City during the Stanley Cup Finals into an event to remember. Broadway Ave. was alit with everything the city of Nashville could offer in terms of support for their team, and an enthusiasm for the game of hockey here not seen since. Whoa, Nashville!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 08:44:41 AM by hockeyfan1 »

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 12, 2017, 08:18:54 AM »
Good for Phil. Screw this guy:

www.twitter.com/byterryjones/status/874122215763042304

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 12, 2017, 08:47:11 AM »
Good for Phil. Screw this guy:

www.twitter.com/byterryjones/status/874122215763042304

Why would Terry Jones out in Edmonton care about Kessel one way or another? 

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 12, 2017, 09:56:07 AM »
It's a good thing the refs didn't blow a play dead on a puck that was not remotely covered that immediately would have given Nashville a 1-goal lead.  At least Pittsburgh didn't win by a single goal.

Best referees in the world.

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 12, 2017, 04:23:18 PM »
Although most of you didn't seem to enjoy the final, I did. Series highlights for me: Nashville crowd, Malkin/Kessel dynamic, Crosby the pro, NSH D, NSH team game opposed to PIT individuals, Cullen, Murray (2 Stanley Cups as a rookie), back to back, Crosby's legacy strengthened, guys battling through injuries and of course the end of the final game with the Stanley cup presentation and celebration.

I watched a lot of the playoffs and the changes I would like to see include: more penalties, offside review parameters being set (if "x" amount of time passes after an offside the goal is not reviewable and a skate off the ice but on or behind the line is NOT offside), harsher suspensions, protection of superstars, every-other-day games for the final.

I am still not entirely sure how PIT won back to back with the D they have. I always thought of guys like Niedamyer, Pronger, Lidstrom, Keith/Seabrook as being massive reasons teams won but PIT has broke the mold for sure.Maybe the Leafs don't need a new 1A and 1B D to take the next step?
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 12, 2017, 04:39:04 PM »
I am still not entirely sure how PIT won back to back with the D they have. I always thought of guys like Niedamyer, Pronger, Lidstrom, Keith/Seabrook as being massive reasons teams won but PIT has broke the mold for sure.Maybe the Leafs don't need a new 1A and 1B D to take the next step?

The Pens are an outlier, who have 2 of the top 5 forwards in the league on their roster - and had an excellent #1 defenceman for last year's Cup run. They're not exactly a model that can be followed, nor does their success downplay the Leafs' need to improve their blueline.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 12, 2017, 04:54:19 PM »
The Penguins leveraged their tremendous forward depth and well above average goaltending into covering up for their lack of defense. Tactically, they went with high event strategies, giving up more chances against to gain more opportunities, since their forwards were of a class that could capitalize more often than not.

Their weak defense was tasked with playing aggressively at the offensive blueline to make up for their lack of speed and skill, which a) minimized time for the opponents, b) gave their forwards time to lend support.

Our current build is similar, but a tier or two below in parts.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 04:56:31 PM by herman »

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 12, 2017, 08:22:55 PM »

I feel like we go through some version of this every year. Pittsburgh(as well as Tampa and Carolina) won their cups without a superstar on defense. New Jersey and Anaheim won theirs without a top tier centre(Getzlaf eventually became one but wasn't at the time). Chicago, Pittsburgh, Detroit and LA all won cups without elite goaltending and so on.

Flawed teams can win cups and, in fairness, with increasing parity every year a flawed team will win the cup. But you shouldn't aim for those flaws and you can't ignore the strengths of the team that paper over those flaws. Are the Leafs likely to have Crosby and Malkin down the middle? No, so we can't be the Penguins and we shouldn't aim for it.

You can't just measure things by successes. Far more teams have been undone by a bad or mediocre defense in the playoffs than have won in spite of it. You have to play the percentages and they're pretty good that you need top quality defensemen to win.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Arn

• Veteran
  • Belfast Giant, Toronto Maple Leaf
    • View Profile
    • Kingdom of the Giants
« Reply #118 on: June 13, 2017, 06:04:19 AM »
So what you're saying is, we have a chance?
I Saw Jay McClement Score.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 13, 2017, 09:35:52 AM »
Dustin Nielson‏ @nielsonTSN1260
Malkin won 15% of this faceoffs in Game 6, Crosby 21%, crazy.

If we're taking lessons from Pittsburgh's Cup win I hope this one doesn't get forgotten about.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #119 on: June 13, 2017, 09:35:52 AM »