Author Topic: Capitals @ Leafs - Apr. 23rd, 7:00pm - SN, Fan 590  (Read 7210 times)

Offline disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Capitals @ Leafs - Apr. 23rd, 7:00pm - SN, Fan 590
« Reply #195 on: April 23, 2017, 11:34:07 PM »
Future so, so bright moving forward.

Fitting that the first goal of the season and the final goal of the season scored by your future captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs: Auston Matthews.

Actually pleased how badly all the guys took it. We'll be back, as God as my fricking WITNESS... we will be back.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #195 on: April 23, 2017, 11:34:07 PM »

Offline x.jr.benchwarmer

• Marlie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 23, 2017, 11:38:38 PM »
Watching Matthews play in the offensive zone, and  make the right play so many times, and with such fine instincts, was such a treat this year.

And he was the Leafs best player tonight, IMHO, both with and without the puck. 

I can really see the team potentially being built around him.

On top of everything else, he has such poise and calmness that belies his young age.

It was a really fun year to watch.

Offline mr grieves

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 24, 2017, 12:01:41 AM »
While things started well enough for him, Marner faded and didn't deliver the big game we were hoping for. Can't win when the powerplay's not going, and only one line is scoring 5 on 5.

And the fourth line was on for both. They looked good -- lots of motors on those boys -- but results weren't great.

Online Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 24, 2017, 12:16:58 AM »
I bet you if Polak were in the series and not Marincin and the Leafs lost in 6 we would be harping on Polak. I do not at all think we were a Polak away from either winning the series or forcing a game 7.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline Capital Leaf

• Prospect
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 24, 2017, 01:45:13 AM »
Not sure he's better defensively then Carrick.  And he's a right shot like Polak.  It's odd they thought more highly of Carrick all year then all of a sudden Marincin is getting more ice? Weird to me. Carrick 67 games played and Marincin 25 games.

N

Again, they were asking Marincin to try and fill in for Polak and what he does/did. Carrick played more all year but Babs never really trusted him in defensive situations(only 18 minutes of SH time all year).

Marincin, though he didn't get in as much, was relied on heavily in a defensive role when he was in, playing almost 4 times as much shorthanded as Carrick did all year.

So when Polak, their defensive minded penalty killing defenseman went down, it does fit with Babcock's internal logic for him to try and use Marincin in that similar role instead of Carrick. Whether or not you agree with Babcock, well, that's your call.

Good points but keep in mind Marincin played 6 more minutes then Carrick in game 1 with Polak in the lineup.  I find this quite surprising considering the fact that Marincin would have been a healthy scratch had Zaitsev been in the line up for that game.  Marincin was there 7th D all year.  Something must have happened in game 1 to move Marincin ahead of Carrick.  What that something is remains a mystery to me.

Online Heroic Shrimp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 24, 2017, 02:02:16 AM »

Class.
Supersize my Freedom Fries

Online hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • TORONTO RAPTORS 2019 NBA CHAMPIONS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 24, 2017, 03:08:58 AM »

Class.

The picture alone is worth a million words.

The rest...priceless.   

Thank you, Capitals.  And Congrats!  (from a Leafs fan to you!) :)

Offline scottishleaf

• Prospect
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 24, 2017, 03:39:07 AM »
Heart breaker of a loss but with the loss comes a lot of pride and realisation that this young team is the real deal and will be back to compete again next season and will be stronger, fitter and better prepared for the challenges ahead.

So unlucky to not take it back to Washington for a game 7 which I think they deserved but even so they ran the Caps so very close.

Looking forward in anticipation to October more than I have for many's a long year!
“Our demands most moderate are – We only want the earth!”

Offline mr grieves

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 24, 2017, 03:51:46 AM »
So unlucky to not take it back to Washington for a game 7 which I think they deserved but even so they ran the Caps so very close.

Was it "unlucky," really?

I mean, by the end of the series, the Leafs had no powerplay, a mediocre penalty kill, and only one line that could score 5v5. Trotz had figured them out, and a lot of the team hit a wall. Kadri's line faded as the series progressed. Marner's line never really showed up. The 4th line had one game where they exceeded expectations, but other than that... they were a fourth line. And an already weak defense lost a guy who'd played really well for the last quarter (Polak) and had one of their top 3 coming back from an injury and not looking very good at all. A few heroic performances from Hunwick and Marincin were followed by them coming back to earth.

I look at the series and think Babcock might've been at fault for not mixing things up when it became clear some players were starting to fade (if Brown or Marner or Kapanen isn't going to be what he can be, why the heck not throw Sosh or Leivo in?). On the other hand, I think he might've wanted to see -- and to let the players see -- where they were. So, can't complain. This was a great development opportunity. But I can't really say they were unlucky not to win.

Offline scottishleaf

• Prospect
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 24, 2017, 05:16:33 AM »

Was it "unlucky," really?

I mean, by the end of the series, the Leafs had no powerplay, a mediocre penalty kill, and only one line that could score 5v5. Trotz had figured them out, and a lot of the team hit a wall. Kadri's line faded as the series progressed. Marner's line never really showed up. The 4th line had one game where they exceeded expectations, but other than that... they were a fourth line. And an already weak defense lost a guy who'd played really well for the last quarter (Polak) and had one of their top 3 coming back from an injury and not looking very good at all. A few heroic performances from Hunwick and Marincin were followed by them coming back to earth.

I look at the series and think Babcock might've been at fault for not mixing things up when it became clear some players were starting to fade (if Brown or Marner or Kapanen isn't going to be what he can be, why the heck not throw Sosh or Leivo in?). On the other hand, I think he might've wanted to see -- and to let the players see -- where they were. So, can't complain. This was a great development opportunity. But I can't really say they were unlucky not to win.

On balance of play in the game last night I thought they were unlucky not to get the winning goal, certainly had some chances. Didn't quite get the breaks. That's the way these things go.

Agree re special teams, it cost us more and more as the series progressed and was a crucial factor in losing the series, if the powerplay had clicked in the 3rd period of game 5 then we might have been heading back for game 6 with a chance to eliminate.

In a series as close as that was then it's the small details that count.

As you say this was a great development opportunity; a real bonus and the experience will hopefully pay dividends as the team continues to develop.

“Our demands most moderate are – We only want the earth!”

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 24, 2017, 07:35:08 AM »
Anyone know the goal scoring streak in the playoffs? Because Matthews scored in four straight.

(Reggie Leach 1979 with 10 games)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 07:39:20 AM by herman »

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 24, 2017, 07:37:53 AM »
This was the best case scenario for the Caps.

They faced and overcame some early adversity from a team that was Penguins-lite and only lost a weakness on defense to injury. Pittsburgh didn't have difficulty with Columbus on the scoresheet, but when they're not scoring, the Blue Jackets just try to kill you.

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 24, 2017, 08:16:53 AM »
What a great season, so much promise, now we face expectations as we should, we can see the talent assembled. Lou somehow you have to pull a stud D-Man out of a hat. How that will be possible, I have no clue but we do need that one ingredient as we seem to have an A-1 goalie and a great forward corp. Just one shut down superhero D-Man. 
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 24, 2017, 08:52:07 AM »
It's disappointing because much like when we lost to Boston I think that the road to the Cup finals through the East is very much wide open if we got our of the 1st round.

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 24, 2017, 09:08:52 AM »
Hopefully the biggest thing gained from this playoff series is that Shattenkirk isn't worth the money.

Expectations certainly changed for me with how well the team played but defensive at times they got stuck running around. 

Outside of their one big game, the 4th line wasn't very good.  They got steadily outplayed by the Beagle/Wilson line.  I certainly hope they don't think it wise to pay the 4th line 7+ million dollars to provide 20 combined points next year.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #209 on: April 24, 2017, 09:08:52 AM »