Author Topic: 2017 Trade Deadline Watch  (Read 12853 times)

Offline TBLeafer

• Veteran
  • One with the Shanaplan!
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 Trade Deadline Watch
« Reply #90 on: February 15, 2017, 02:46:14 PM »

Offline mr grieves

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 16, 2017, 03:42:02 PM »
Besides the major, long-term need (a top-pairing defenseman), I think there's a relatively low cost, beneficial trade the Leafs could make for a depth forward. Surely we can improve on Gauthier, Smith, and Froese. Laich?

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #91 on: February 16, 2017, 03:42:02 PM »

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 16, 2017, 03:45:05 PM »
Besides the major, long-term need (a top-pairing defenseman), I think there's a relatively low cost, beneficial trade the Leafs could make for a depth forward. Surely we can improve on Gauthier, Smith, and Froese. Laich?

Is there really a purpose served there though? Isn't the sort of push/pull of "How much we'd have to spend to acquire someone who'd make a real difference" vs. "The benefits of the difference they'd make" kind of render it a futile exercise?
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 16, 2017, 04:06:53 PM »
Unless a top-5 1RD is disgruntled with his team and insists on being traded only to the Leafs, I see no reason to spend at this deadline.

All I'm hoping to see are UFAs being moved out for futures, and maybe eating a bad but short contract for another prospect stuck behind a logjam.

I can see Froese getting the call up if Smith departs.

Polak + Smith for a 2018 2nd and 2019 2nd, anyone? It's like a PK combo deal.
#BeBlessed

Online louisstamos

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Treestar
« Reply #94 on: February 16, 2017, 04:12:47 PM »
All I'm hoping to see are UFAs being moved out for futures, and maybe eating a bad but short contract for another prospect stuck behind a logjam.

I like this idea - look for playoffs teams that are close to the cap but want to buy at the deadline, and take a hefty (but expiring) player contract off their hands if it comes a pick and/or prospect.  Other team gets cap space, we get potential futures.  But I would only do this on D - on forward, I think we're pretty much going into the playoffs with the guys we have.

Edit: upon quick inspection - the Flyers are a team ripe for this.  No cap space, may be looking to buy.  We could take either Streit or Del Zotto off their hands if they're looking to pick up someone else at FWD or D.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 04:19:48 PM by louisstamos »

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 16, 2017, 04:13:33 PM »
I'm willing to accept that JVR is probably not moving at the deadline but if that's the case they should really explore moving Komarov.
-Karl Marx

Offline Andy

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 16, 2017, 04:56:23 PM »
I'm willing to accept that JVR is probably not moving at the deadline but if that's the case they should really explore moving Komarov.

Well I have been under the impression that the use of Komarov strictly with Kardi and continually on the PP is based on the intent of moving him at the deadline. I'm hoping that that's the case because otherwise I'm not really sure what he's bringing to the team (and to the top 6).

Offline Jolly good show chaps

• Rookie
  • Pip pip
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 16, 2017, 05:05:19 PM »
Is there a deal to be had with Anaheim and taking one of their bad contracts plus lesser of one of their D prospects in exchange for two decent forward prospects and a pick? Fair enough if this is a bit cloud cuckoo land...

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 16, 2017, 05:09:21 PM »
Is there a deal to be had with Anaheim and taking one of their bad contracts plus lesser of one of their D prospects in exchange for two decent forward prospects and a pick? Fair enough if this is a bit cloud cuckoo land...

Seems to me like the devil would be in the details on that one.
-Karl Marx

Offline mr grieves

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 16, 2017, 05:58:53 PM »

Is there really a purpose served there though? Isn't the sort of push/pull of "How much we'd have to spend to acquire someone who'd make a real difference" vs. "The benefits of the difference they'd make" kind of render it a futile exercise?

Eh. If you could get an expiring UFA with some penalty killing and playoff experience for a lower pick or even one of our three* 2nds, I think the marginally better play, plus the benefit of having someone used to playing in tight games down the stretch, would be nice to have around.

* for now. If they're moving Polak, Hunwick, Bozak, Komarov, and/or JvR between now and the draft, they should have a couple more.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 16, 2017, 07:34:59 PM »
Mirtle confirmed that all of our infirm are actually on LTIR as of very early in the season. I.e. We have ~15M in space.
www.twitter.com/mirtle/status/832313740108365830

https://theathletic.com/38871/2017/02/16/mirtle-making-sense-of-the-maple-leafs-crazy-salary-cap-situation/
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-trade-deadline-team-needs-toronto-maple-leafs/

Wheel and deal.

I agree with Mirtle's take to conservatively limit the bonus overage. But some prospects are going to be worth the spend of eating a bad contract.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 07:50:12 PM by herman »
#BeBlessed

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 16, 2017, 07:42:48 PM »
Mirtle confirmed that all of our infirm are actually on LTIR as of very early in the season. I.e. We have ~15M in space.
www.twitter.com/mirtle/status/832313740108365830

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-trade-deadline-team-needs-toronto-maple-leafs/

Wheel and deal.
Mirtle tweeted that Dubas and 2 Leafs scouts at the Colorado/Buffalo game tonight

Lol more than half the league has scouts at the game.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 07:44:41 PM by Zee »

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 16, 2017, 08:14:57 PM »
Eh. If you could get an expiring UFA with some penalty killing and playoff experience for a lower pick or even one of our three* 2nds, I think the marginally better play, plus the benefit of having someone used to playing in tight games down the stretch, would be nice to have around.

* for now. If they're moving Polak, Hunwick, Bozak, Komarov, and/or JvR between now and the draft, they should have a couple more.

I think they only have two 2nds after the Andersen trade.
-Karl Marx

Online L K

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 16, 2017, 08:34:52 PM »

I think they only have two 2nds after the Andersen trade.

Don't forget the draft pick compensation the Leafs have to give up for Babcock and Lou.

Offline TBLeafer

• Veteran
  • One with the Shanaplan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 17, 2017, 10:59:34 AM »
Those were 3rd rounders and they've already confirmed to have parted with them.

As for scouts on hand for last night's Buffalo game... there were a LOT of scouts from around the league.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 12:39:27 PM by TBLeafer »