Author Topic: Armchair GM 2016-2017  (Read 50296 times)

Offline Britishbulldog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Armchair GM 2016-2017
« Reply #330 on: January 06, 2017, 12:48:44 PM »
Evander Kane is going to be Chris Stewart all over again, isn't he?

;D   I am that predictable huh.  Scatchard...Stewart...

You're seeing the dark side of the moon of a really good trait I have.

For serious though, I think you might want to re-evaluate Nylander. Right now he's scoring at a 59/82 pace while getting tossed around the line-up.

Fair enough.  I suspect you are right.  I have been reading the media ripping Nylander for inconsistency, being in Babcock's doghouse, etc which taints my perspective of his stats and the talent I see on the ice. 

For double serious, no Evander Kane. If a guy with those attributes is important, the Leafs should develop one. Or sign one. If the complaints against him in the Nightclub incident are true I would rather the Leafs be a less good hockey team than a better one with him on it.

All joking aside, this is quite serious and had forgotten it when looking at rosters and salaries around the league on various websites.  Point taken and agreed with.
All The Best
Dan

Offline sneakyray

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 07, 2017, 11:18:59 AM »
so if the leafs make the playoffs does babcock win the adams?

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 07, 2017, 11:27:59 AM »

I doubt it. It's pretty hard right now to imagine any scenario in which Tortorella doesn't have it sewn up.

Beyond him there's Boudreau and, if we're going to make a deal about a team doing better than expected, there's Desjardins.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Offline sneakyray

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 07, 2017, 12:36:03 PM »

I doubt it. It's pretty hard right now to imagine any scenario in which Tortorella doesn't have it sewn up.

Beyond him there's Boudreau and, if we're going to make a deal about a team doing better than expected, there's Desjardins.

yeah, I forgot about torts

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 13, 2017, 10:41:39 AM »
http://theleafsnation.com/2017/1/12/if-the-market-for-a-steady-defenceman-is-bad-don-t-play-it

This article was spawned in response to:

Mark Spector: noted critic of the Leafs
Today, when the Toronto Maple Leafs consider trading a winger like James van Riemsdyk for a much-needed defenceman, they won’t be looking at the Subban for Weber deal as a comparable.

The deal that set the bar for the Leafs — and any other team that is rich in forwards but desperate to shore up an Achilles heel blue-line — was the Taylor Hall-for-Adam Larsson trade between the New Jersey Devils and Edmonton Oilers.

[...]

If Leafs fans thought Chiarelli got fleeced in the Hall deal, at least one scout we spoke with said Toronto won’t get a player as good as Larsson in return for the older van Riemsdyk, who has a modified no-trade clause and is one season away from becoming an unrestricted free agent.

“There’s no comparison between Hall and JVR,” said the scout, who thinks the Leafs will have to sweeten the pot. “You’re not trading (Mitch) Marner, so (William) Nylander has got to be the guy. He’s skilled, but how good?”

The Leafs are exactly where Edmonton was a year ago: Stocked with young talent up front, but with a blue-line corps that needs at least two quality NHL defencemen. Chiarelli knew he could deal from strength, though even he must have been surprised when he found himself trading a 70-point winger for a 15-point defenceman.

While it is a good article (the one that Jeff wrote), the best part is reading the comments.
#BeBlessed

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 13, 2017, 11:59:45 AM »
Considering the market, our playstyle, and the assets that we have to deal with, I think we should be targeting an on-the-cusp defenseman from an on-the-cusp team (think Carrick with Washington), probably from the Western Conference, with an already stable-ish top-6.

How does this sound?
To CalgaryTo Toronto
Tyler BozakMatt Stajan
Brandon Bollig or whatever cap dump
Rasmus Andersson

Calgary is a bit thin in the middle and Bozak is going to be a scoring upgrade, pushing either Bennet or Monahan down to the 4th line. Stajan gets to come home (vet presence who has done the Leafs dance) and can anchor the 4th line with skill and class. Bollig is a cap dump they've already buried; this could flex to a higher number (Wideman) if mid-range picks come back our way.
#BeBlessed

Offline Frank E

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 13, 2017, 12:34:44 PM »
Considering the market, our playstyle, and the assets that we have to deal with, I think we should be targeting an on-the-cusp defenseman from an on-the-cusp team (think Carrick with Washington), probably from the Western Conference, with an already stable-ish top-6.

How does this sound?
To CalgaryTo Toronto
Tyler BozakMatt Stajan
Brandon Bollig or whatever cap dump
Rasmus Andersson

Calgary is a bit thin in the middle and Bozak is going to be a scoring upgrade, pushing either Bennet or Monahan down to the 4th line. Stajan gets to come home (vet presence who has done the Leafs dance) and can anchor the 4th line with skill and class. Bollig is a cap dump they've already buried; this could flex to a higher number (Wideman) if mid-range picks come back our way.

You can do better than that herman, I expect more from you.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 13, 2017, 12:50:49 PM »
You can do better than that herman, I expect more from you.

Friday, man.
#BeBlessed

Offline Frank E

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 13, 2017, 12:52:28 PM »
http://www.tsn.ca/landeskog-duchene-could-be-on-the-table-as-avs-rebuild-1.649580

OK boys and girls, anyone think they should try to get Shattenkirk before July 1?

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 13, 2017, 01:21:46 PM »
http://www.tsn.ca/landeskog-duchene-could-be-on-the-table-as-avs-rebuild-1.649580

OK boys and girls, anyone think they should try to get Shattenkirk before July 1?

If, and only if, he comes with an extension already signed.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Frank E

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: January 13, 2017, 02:28:39 PM »

FINE...and the problem with trading with the Avs is that they're obviously going to want futures in return, and I don't think the Leafs are ready to start trading away picks/prospects at this point.

I know that article herman posted was suggesting that the Leafs just hold off until the market adjusts, but JVR and Bozak have a best-before date with their contracts and stuff, so I'm not sure that "just wait" is really a viable option.

I'm all for patience with developing the young talent, but this is still a rebuild, and assets need to be converted.  I think they should want to make a move by this deadline with those guys. 

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 13, 2017, 02:30:04 PM »

FINE...and the problem with trading with the Avs is that they're obviously going to want futures in return, and I don't think the Leafs are ready to start trading away picks/prospects at this point.

I know that article herman posted was suggesting that the Leafs just hold off until the market adjusts, but JVR and Bozak have a best-before date with their contracts and stuff, so I'm not sure that "just wait" is really a viable option.

I'm all for patience with developing the young talent, but this is still a rebuild, and assets need to be converted.  I think they should want to make a move by this deadline with those guys. 

You know Shattenkirk plays for St. Louis, right?

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: January 13, 2017, 02:34:07 PM »

If you figure on what St. Louis would want in terms of a rental for Shattenkirk...no?

Unless, I mean, if you could work out a JVR for Shattenkirk thing with an extension agreed to beforehand then I suppose so but even then I'd rather deal JVR for futures and then try to just sign Shattenkirk.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Offline Frank E

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 13, 2017, 02:36:59 PM »

You know Shattenkirk plays for St. Louis, right?

Damn it...

Offline Frank E

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 13, 2017, 02:40:41 PM »

If you figure on what St. Louis would want in terms of a rental for Shattenkirk...no?

Unless, I mean, if you could work out a JVR for Shattenkirk thing with an extension agreed to beforehand then I suppose so but even then I'd rather deal JVR for futures and then try to just sign Shattenkirk.

NEVERMIND!