Author Topic: Jays Roster Discussion  (Read 51882 times)

Offline Arn

• Veteran
  • Belfast Giant, Toronto Maple Leaf
    • View Profile
    • Kingdom of the Giants
Re: Jays Roster Discussion
« Reply #495 on: July 31, 2017, 04:30:02 PM »
So a few trades going through and possibly a couple more still to come including possibly Happ. Are any of the pieces that have come back potential worthwhile prospects?
I Saw Jay McClement Score.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #495 on: July 31, 2017, 04:30:02 PM »

Offline Andy

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: July 31, 2017, 04:46:42 PM »
So a few trades going through and possibly a couple more still to come including possibly Happ. Are any of the pieces that have come back potential worthwhile prospects?

Hernandez, the OF received for Liriano actually has a lot of potential. He was ranked 6th out of Astros prospects at the beginning of the season and all the lists seem to have him in their top 10. Athletic, good AAA numbers, plays a position of dire need; it's a pretty nice return for a #5 pitcher who hasn't pitched well and whose contract is expiring.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: July 31, 2017, 04:47:18 PM »

None of the three that we know of so far have particularly high ceilings, from the looks of things, but they've all put up pretty decent minor league numbers. Teoscar Hernandez - the prospect they received from Houston - probably gets some MLB time this season. The others are at least a couple years away.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Andy

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: July 31, 2017, 05:21:56 PM »
Here's an updated Jays prospect list: http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2017?list=tor

Granted I'm not sure how accurate mlb.com rankings are but Hernandez slides in at #5.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: July 31, 2017, 05:25:59 PM »
Man, the Dodgers aren't playing around.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Bill_Berg

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: July 31, 2017, 06:30:02 PM »
Man, the Dodgers aren't playing around.

Ya I'll be paying attention to them in the playoffs this year for sure.

Offline Captain Canuck

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: July 31, 2017, 11:48:10 PM »
I like the Liriano trade, pretty solid return. Hernandez looks like a good prospect who is nearly MLB ready, look for him to get a September call-up.
Not sure if Aoki is a throw-in, salary dump move by Houston or if Jays management actually plan on keeping him around until next season. Their latest buzzword has been "controllable" players and Aoki is arbitration-eligible this fall and not an UFA until 2019. Personally, I would like to see him non-tendered and move on (He'll be 35 before next season), but not so sure that is what will happen.

Hard to predict what the future holds for the 2 prospects in the Smith trade. Could be good, could be a waste of time...can't really say at this point with lower-level prospects.

Not surprised that Estrada wasn't dealt as he had no trade value. If he can string together a few starts like he had tonight though he could be a trade target for a contender in August.

Offline sickbeast

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: August 01, 2017, 09:52:29 AM »
This probably ends Jose Bautista's tenure in Toronto.  They're not going to want to block their prospects from the MLB level.

Offline Andy

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: August 01, 2017, 02:32:03 PM »
This probably ends Jose Bautista's tenure in Toronto.  They're not going to want to block their prospects from the MLB level.

Bautista's struggling so badly that even Aoki in right might soon be an upgrade. I don't really see Jose returning in any capacity either.

Offline sickbeast

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: August 03, 2017, 10:02:01 AM »
Jose Bautista has been placed on revocable waivers.  Sad.  It could be the end of an era.

Online Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: August 03, 2017, 10:06:57 AM »
Jose Bautista has been placed on revocable waivers.  Sad.  It could be the end of an era.

Remember all the long-term contract talk last year?

Offline Arn

• Veteran
  • Belfast Giant, Toronto Maple Leaf
    • View Profile
    • Kingdom of the Giants
« Reply #506 on: August 03, 2017, 10:29:53 AM »
At least Donaldson has started to show a bit of the old magic the last few games. He was superb yesterday.
I Saw Jay McClement Score.

Online Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: August 03, 2017, 12:57:36 PM »
So I don't understand how the waiver process works in baseball. What does this mean? Is he still playing for the team?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline sickbeast

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: August 03, 2017, 12:59:05 PM »
So I don't understand how the waiver process works in baseball. What does this mean? Is he still playing for the team?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
It's revocable waivers, so the Jays are basically making him available for trade.  They can pull him back off waivers if they want.  But this pretty much signals that Bautista's days as a Blue Jay are over, if not now, at the end of the season.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: August 03, 2017, 01:37:37 PM »

If a team wants to make a trade after the July 31st deadline then they can only trade a player after they've gone through waivers. What revocable waivers does is let a team put a player on the waiver wire to see if a team makes a claim. If a team does, than they can pull him off waivers but it means any trade won't happen.

So, yes, for now he's still with the team. If he clears waivers though he might get dealt.

I feel like this opens the window a bit to him coming back next year because if he's traded and whoever he's traded to declines his option year he may be willing to come back at a reduced cost. I don't know if the Jays would be in on that but then again I really don't know what the Jays plans are long term.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #509 on: August 03, 2017, 01:37:37 PM »