Author Topic: Jays Roster Discussion  (Read 52377 times)

Offline Andy

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Jays Roster Discussion
« Reply #420 on: June 30, 2017, 07:58:50 PM »
There was no intended snark in that comparison, but wow, that is a rich complaint coming from you.

Carrera's previous two years with the Blue Jays have been, respectively, atrocious and not very good. Again, you're only talking about his limited at bats this year.

And it is all moot based on my original point: Pearce is raking the ball, hitting around a 1200 OPS in the last month and a half. It's insane to keep benching him and pinch hit for him with an inferior bat.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #420 on: June 30, 2017, 07:58:50 PM »

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: June 30, 2017, 08:18:06 PM »
There was no intended snark in that comparison, but wow, that is a rich complaint coming from you.

Not a complaint. I don't use snark in a derogatory sense. I was just saying that if you're going to be dismissive of the analogy you should at least get it right.

Carrera's previous two years with the Blue Jays have been, respectively, atrocious and not very good. Again, you're only talking about his limited at bats this year.

No, I'm talking about the sum total. Carrera, in his time with the Jays, has an OBP that's virtually the same as Pearce's for his career.

So again, I'd put the thinking at "these guys are both marginal ball players, so I'm going to go with Carrera who's had some success against Fister, has the platoon advantage and adds some speed to the lineup".

Which, I grant you, isn't iron clad reasoning or anything but I still think the most important part is the "marginal ball players" bit.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: July 02, 2017, 04:42:24 PM »
Blue Jays pitcher Jason Grilli traded to the Texas Rangers in exchange for minor league hitter Eduardo Pinto plus cash:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/blue-jays-trade-jason-grilli-rangers-eduard-pinto/
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 04:48:07 PM by hockeyfan1 »

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: July 03, 2017, 06:10:13 AM »
The differences between the Yankees, Red Sox, and the Blue Jays.  What those teams have done that we haven't; roster changes via prospects & youth movement; and what's in store for the future of the Jays as compared to the rest of the A.L....

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/baseball/blue-jays-face-an-uncertain-future-within-fortified-al-east/article35529188/

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: July 04, 2017, 03:28:39 AM »
Blue Jays acquire veteran catcher Miguel Montero from the Chicago Cubs in return for  a player to be named later or cash considerations ( in which Chicago may pay all or some of Montero's $7M contract).

As of late, Montero's reputation has been less than stellar, being called "selfish" by the Cubs organization:

https://www.thestar.com/sports/baseball/2017/07/03/jays-trade-for-selfish-montero-seems-like-act-of-desperation-griffin.html
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 03:32:00 AM by hockeyfan1 »

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: July 04, 2017, 10:26:17 AM »
Game over. To late to find their groove this year. Very frustrating to say the least... batting with runners in scoring position has been horrendous. Sure they have had injuries but they have not capitalized all year on the opportunities they have had. Big hits have been few a far between. I love my Blue Jays but this just isn't their year.

Still believe in the core, a tweak of the roster and a change of luck could go along way next season.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: July 13, 2017, 02:51:53 AM »
Assessing the Jays' assets:  the very good, the so-so, and the downright not-so-good.  The fact that the Blue Jays currently harbour MLB's oldest roster (oldest team) and with the season they've had so far coupled with all of the injuries to key players at one time or other early in the season, and now, as the team enters the second half and with the trade deadline looming, the Jays management brass will need to decide whether to retool or rebuild:

https://theathletic.com/73251/2017/07/05/how-valuable-are-the-blue-jays-assessing-torontos-assets-ahead-of-the-trade-deadline/

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: July 14, 2017, 10:49:20 PM »
The Blue Jays have served notice that several players will be available as per trades (rentals).  This list includes the likes of Estrada, Liriano, Howell, and Smith.

Also on the trading block (though reservedly) are Pearce & J.A. Happ.

This year's trade deadline is July 31st.

Rumours, rumours... https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/07/blue-jays-trade-rumors-estrada-liriano-smith-howell.html

Offline Andy

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: July 15, 2017, 07:58:10 AM »
I think we could let Howell go for, say, a single white flavoured tic-tac.

I'd say maybe they could hold out for an orange flavoured one but that might just be a pipe dream at this point.

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: July 18, 2017, 08:13:06 PM »
Sell, sell, sell.

Sent from my F3113 using Tapatalk

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: July 18, 2017, 09:48:07 PM »
Sell, sell, sell.

Yup. Anyone not signed/controlled past this season should be traded for whatever they can get - and a few guys signed/controlled past this season should be made available, too. There's just too many teams between the Jays and the wildcard.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Online Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: July 18, 2017, 09:54:22 PM »
Sell, sell, sell.

Yup. Anyone not signed/controlled past this season should be traded for whatever they can get - and a few guys signed/controlled past this season should be made available, too. There's just too many teams between the Jays and the wildcard.

The pending FAs aren't doing very well - Estrada, Liriano and Bautista.

Who do you have in mind to move who are controllable beyond this year?
I wouldn't want to move Stroman, Sanchez or Osuna.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: July 18, 2017, 10:04:46 PM »
The pending FAs aren't doing very well - Estrada, Liriano and Bautista.

Not going to get a huge haul for them, no, but they should be able to get something of value back for Bautista and Estrada. Liriano is basically a lost cause.

Who do you have in mind to move who are controllable beyond this year?
I wouldn't want to move Stroman, Sanchez or Osuna.

Those three are probably the only players I put a "not for sale" sign on. I'd definitely listen on Donaldson, who is still a season away from free agency. I wouldn't be pushing him out the door, but, being that he's already in his 30s, he shouldn't be completely off limits. Obviously, moving him would signal the beginning of a full scale rebuild, but, with the age of the core of Jays' offence, that may be the right direction.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Online Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: July 18, 2017, 10:54:31 PM »
Happ probably holds good value.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: July 19, 2017, 08:48:28 PM »
Happ probably holds good value.

Absolutely. He might have the best value of all the players the Jays might actually be willing to move.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #434 on: July 19, 2017, 08:48:28 PM »