Author Topic: Jays Roster Discussion  (Read 51668 times)

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • TORONTO RAPTORS 2019 NBA CHAMPIONS!
    • View Profile
Re: Jays Roster Discussion
« Reply #960 on: August 07, 2019, 08:28:06 PM »
P Zach Godley from the Arizona Diamondbacks comes to the Jays via waivers.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #960 on: August 07, 2019, 08:28:06 PM »

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: August 12, 2019, 05:01:59 PM »
Glavis is gone, for squat, another brilliant get nothing for something move by the Blue Jays brass.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Online Joe S.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: August 12, 2019, 07:30:30 PM »
I just don’t understand this team anymore. How is Galvis worth absolutely nothing ?

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: August 12, 2019, 07:34:57 PM »

The trade deadline was two weeks ago guys.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Online Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: August 12, 2019, 07:36:13 PM »
I just don’t understand this team anymore. How is Galvis worth absolutely nothing ?

I feel like I don't understand something about baseball assets and trading, because he certainly looked to be worth something more than nothing to me.

Perhaps someone can let us know why he was waived, besides the fact they needed the at bats and room for the kids.

Online Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: August 12, 2019, 07:36:49 PM »

Sure, but I'm sure they were looking to move him then, no?

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: August 12, 2019, 07:51:14 PM »

Probably not. They probably thought it was a good idea to keep him around to play the rest of the year if Bichette struggled and needed more time in the minors. Once Bichette established that he's going to be able to  play in the majors then the reality was with Biggio at 2nd and Vlad at 3rd that Galvis was probably going to be on the bench for 90% of the remaining games. This way he gets to keep playing.

The market for Galvis at the deadline would have been pretty lethargic regardless. He's on a one year deal so he'd only have been of interest to contenders and off the top of my head most if not all of the contenders have a better SS than Galvis. Galvis isn't a good enough hitter to have a ton of value as a DH/PH type so he'd almost certainly have been seen as a backup infielder/injury insurance so even if you'd wanted to deal him at the deadline and risked not having a major league SS for August and September the return is probably a C or D level prospect.
-Mark Twain

Offline Andy

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: August 12, 2019, 07:53:44 PM »
Struggling to get to a .300 OBP, horrible BB:K rate, $5 million price tag and he turns 30 this year. Players like this can be signed in the offseason pretty cheaply and easily; that's just the weird new economic landscape that has developed the past few years in the MLB. And Cincinnati didn't have anywhere near the first pick either, meaning a whole bunch of teams declined to pick up even a free Galvis.

Offline Captain Canuck

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: August 12, 2019, 08:05:41 PM »
Poor asset management (again)!
Surely we could have got something for Galvis at the deadline instead of just losing him on waivers!!!
We are talking about a guy who is leading the team in hits, runs, doubles, RBIs...you can't tell me he is worth NOTHING!
Andy, "struggling to get a .300 OBP" describes 2/3 of the fricken team...sorry I don't buy the downplay of Galvis.

At this rate Jays management better hope every single pitching prospect they have pans out because they are giving away assets for pennies on the dollar and in this case for free.  :o

Online Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: August 12, 2019, 08:07:27 PM »
Do we think then that the Jays are doing a good job with asset management?

Online Joe S.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: August 12, 2019, 08:10:04 PM »

I am aware. And how was he worth absolutely nothing then as well.

Online Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: August 12, 2019, 08:12:36 PM »

Probably not. They probably thought it was a good idea to keep him around to play the rest of the year if Bichette struggled and needed more time in the minors. Once Bichette established that he's going to be able to  play in the majors then the reality was with Biggio at 2nd and Vlad at 3rd that Galvis was probably going to be on the bench for 90% of the remaining games. This way he gets to keep playing.

The market for Galvis at the deadline would have been pretty lethargic regardless. He's on a one year deal so he'd only have been of interest to contenders and off the top of my head most if not all of the contenders have a better SS than Galvis. Galvis isn't a good enough hitter to have a ton of value as a DH/PH type so he'd almost certainly have been seen as a backup infielder/injury insurance so even if you'd wanted to deal him at the deadline and risked not having a major league SS for August and September the return is probably a C or D level prospect.

So, not worth nothing if properly timed Bichette call up?

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: August 12, 2019, 08:17:10 PM »
Struggling to get to a .300 OBP, horrible BB:K rate, $5 million price tag and he turns 30 this year. Players like this can be signed in the offseason pretty cheaply and easily; that's just the weird new economic landscape that has developed the past few years in the MLB. And Cincinnati didn't have anywhere near the first pick either, meaning a whole bunch of teams declined to pick up even a free Galvis.

I think that's a little unfair to Galvis. He's having a pretty good offensive year by WAR. Problem is that value is only meaningful if he's playing every day and there just weren't opportunities for that. Here are the contending teams and their SS's:

New York: Torres/Grigorious
Boston: Bogaerts
Tampa: Adames
Cleveland: Lindor
Minnesota: Polanco
Houston: Correa
Oakland: Siemian
Atlanta: Swanson
Washington: Turner
Mets: Rosario
Phillies: Segura
Cubs: Baez
St. Louis: DeJong
Milwaukee: Arcia
Los Angeles: Seager

With the exception of Arcia, I don't think there's anyone there I'd take at-bats away from to give to Galvis. Backup infielders just aren't worth that much.
-Mark Twain

Offline Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: August 12, 2019, 08:18:38 PM »
I am aware. And how was he worth absolutely nothing then as well.

It was reported at the time by Scott Mitchell of TSN that there wasn't much interest in Galvis or Smoak and he repeated that today after Galvis was claimed:

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: August 12, 2019, 08:18:55 PM »
So, not worth nothing if properly timed Bichette call up?

It seems to me as though they may have handled Bichette pretty well.
-Mark Twain

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #974 on: August 12, 2019, 08:18:55 PM »