Author Topic: Jays Roster Discussion  (Read 52529 times)

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
Re: Jays Roster Discussion
« Reply #525 on: September 09, 2017, 07:19:14 AM »
Roberto Osuna's pitches aren't quite what they used to be...

Year   Fourseam  Sinker  Change  Slider  Cutter
 2014     93.80         0.00     78.64    83.41     0.00 
 2015     96.37        95.57    83.13    88.70     0.00   
 2016     96.60        96.09    83.77    87.14    92.30
 2017     94.94        94.48    83.74    86.09    90.50

https://www.brooksbaseball.net/velo.php?player=532077&b_hand=-1&gFilt=&pFilt=FA&time=year&minmax=ci&var=mph&s_type=2&startDate=03/30/2007&endDate=09/09/2017

(via theathletic/brooksbaseball):

https://theathletic.com/96077/2017/09/08/jonah-keri-what-should-the-blue-jays-do-with-closer-roberto-osuna/

« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 08:31:36 AM by hockeyfan1 »

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #525 on: September 09, 2017, 07:19:14 AM »

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: September 20, 2017, 09:51:27 AM »
Excited they have resigned Estrada to one year extension. The guys has been lights out except the first half of this year.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Offline Arn

• Veteran
  • Belfast Giant, Toronto Maple Leaf
    • View Profile
    • Kingdom of the Giants
« Reply #527 on: September 25, 2017, 04:27:21 AM »
It's hard to judge much of what happens in September but both Hernandez and - to a lesser extent - Urena have shown a bit of something. Possible they'll both be on the roster next year?

Stroman has definitely show he's a top level ace pitcher as well.

But I reckon it'll be difficult for the Jays to bounce back towards the top of the division again next year...
I Saw Jay McClement Score.

Offline sickbeast

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: September 25, 2017, 09:05:18 PM »
It's hard to judge much of what happens in September but both Hernandez and - to a lesser extent - Urena have shown a bit of something. Possible they'll both be on the roster next year?

Stroman has definitely show he's a top level ace pitcher as well.

But I reckon it'll be difficult for the Jays to bounce back towards the top of the division again next year...
The Jays should be fine next season. They had extremely bad luck with injuries this season. They don't have a lot of holes in the lineup and they have quite a bit of money to spend during the off season. They could very easily get a top flight free agent, maybe even two of them. They need one outfielder to replace Bautista, however they do have Dalton Pompey and also Anthony Alford who they can use there. Hernandez looks ready to me for left field every day. Tulo and Travis should both be back. All that's left is one starting pitcher and they could realistically use Biagini for that. Even if they sign no one they will be semi competitive with the players they already have. This might sound crazy but I hope they sign Bautista as a fourth outfielder and also as a utility player. Barney will be leaving and I can't think of a better guy to keep around as a Blue Jay for life and then make him a coach.

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: September 25, 2017, 09:24:50 PM »

I think right now it's tough to say. The major questions facing the team have to do with aging/injuries. Can Tulo stay healthy as he declines? Can Martin bounce back at 35? Is Travis ever going to be able to stay on the field?

Then there are smaller questions. Is this year an outlier for Smoak? Is Morales really as bad as he's been? Which is the real Roberto Osuna? Who is the #4 starter?

I agree that it's unlikely that the Jays will rebound to a serious division contender but with the second wild card the way it is you can never rule out playoff contention.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Offline Arn

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Kingdom of the Giants
« Reply #530 on: September 27, 2017, 04:50:21 AM »
Playoff contention would be good. I guess if you take out the horrific start the Jays had this year they're probably not far off being close to that second spot even.

Donaldson has been unreal since he got back from his injury, and Hernandez continues to impress. I guess you build your offence round Donaldson taking on the old Bautista role now?

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: September 27, 2017, 10:58:40 AM »
Donaldson has been unreal since he got back from his injury, and Hernandez continues to impress. I guess you build your offence round Donaldson taking on the old Bautista role now?

Maybe. But you have to remember that Donaldson is almost 32 and he's going to need a new contract soon.
-Karl Marx

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: September 27, 2017, 11:36:21 AM »
Playoff contention would be good. I guess if you take out the horrific start the Jays had this year they're probably not far off being close to that second spot even.

At their worst, the Jays were 11 games below .500 - and that was in late April. By the end of May, they had overcome most of that, and were only a game below. They're current 8 games below. Without the bad start, they'd probably be 4 games above .500 right now. Every AL playoff team is at least 9 games above. Even without the bad start, with the way they've played over the course of the season, the Jays would be on the outside looking in.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: September 28, 2017, 02:12:23 AM »
Excited they have resigned Estrada to one year extension. The guys has been lights out except the first half of this year.

I've heard people say something similar but, aside from the fact that saying someone has been "lights out" except for half the year isn't saying much, it doesn't really jive with his numbers either. These are Estrada's ERAs by month:

April: 2.70
May: 3.49
June: 9.11
July: 6.48
August: 5.35
September: 3.48

First Half ERA: 5.15
Second Half ERA: 4.50

Now, you wrote your post before him getting rocked tonight when he was coming off three very good September starts but even then his year doesn't break down into first half good, second half bad. He was pretty good to start the year, terrible in the middle of the year and then rebounded a bit at the end.

That said, I think he was a little better this year than his numbers indicate. He suffered from an absurdly high opponents' BABIP in June which you'd want to ascribe at least a little bit to bad luck(although it was super low for most of September so...?) and some of his bad numbers have to be attributed to the crazy amount of HR hit this year.

That said I think we should adjust our expectations downward for him a little. Can a 35 year old Estrada be a valuable pitcher? I think so. Much more than a pretty good #3? Eh...
-Karl Marx

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: September 28, 2017, 05:02:56 PM »
Tulo has yet to show up in TOR and now his D is slipping... yikes. What a monstrosity that contract has become. Complete different player in COL. I would like to think the Jays will better next year, younger and faster but I am worried about Travis/Tulo/Martin being able to contribute their share.

Love the pitching.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: September 28, 2017, 05:30:36 PM »
Tulo has yet to show up in TOR and now his D is slipping... yikes. What a monstrosity that contract has become. Complete different player in COL. I would like to think the Jays will better next year, younger and faster but I am worried about Travis/Tulo/Martin being able to contribute their share.

Important to keep in mind that a pretty significant chunk of the difference between Tulowitzki in COL and here is park effects.
-Karl Marx

Offline Arn

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Kingdom of the Giants
« Reply #536 on: September 29, 2017, 03:58:08 PM »
Talk from the Yankee TV announcers  (I had to watch the YES feed ugh) that Donaldson was potentially being traded to Cardinals over the winter.

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: September 29, 2017, 04:01:07 PM »
Talk from the Yankee TV announcers  (I had to watch the YES feed ugh) that Donaldson was potentially being traded to Cardinals over the winter.

It's not the worst idea in the world if, and this are two big ifs, you think Vlad Guerrero is a 3B long-term and you think he'll be ready sooner rather than later.
-Karl Marx

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: September 29, 2017, 04:10:11 PM »

It's not the worst idea in the world if, and this are two big ifs, you think Vlad Guerrero is a 3B long-term and you think he'll be ready sooner rather than later.
Jays owe it to their fans to try hard to resign him.

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: September 29, 2017, 04:23:28 PM »
Jays owe it to their fans to try hard to resign him.

I'm a Jays fan and if Guerrero is ready to take over mid-season next year or 2019 I'd actually rather they not sign a 32 year old Donaldson to a 20+ million dollar multi-year deal. Especially if there are options to put that money into the rotation.
-Karl Marx

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #539 on: September 29, 2017, 04:23:28 PM »