Author Topic: The Donald  (Read 133823 times)

Offline L K

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: The Donald
« Reply #2370 on: September 24, 2020, 09:22:40 AM »
I'm assuming your comment was in regard to the Breonna Taylor charges?

That's just a woefully awful situation.  There really wasn't anything better that was going to come out of that scenario as far as charges go.  They technically were at the right house.  They technically had the right to fire back when they were fired upon.  They technically don't have to knock or announce who they are.   They technically don't have to wear uniforms to identify as police.  They technically got a valid warrant from the judge.

So in the end the only guy who can really face charges is the guy sitting outside the apartment firing into the wall and windows.  I think they reviewed ballistics and he wasn't the one who shot Breonna so you technically can't charge him with manslaughter because he didn't shoot her.

It's a whole lot of technically built into a system that protects incompetence.

Offline Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: September 24, 2020, 09:55:10 AM »
I'm assuming your comment was in regard to the Breonna Taylor charges?

That's just a woefully awful situation.  There really wasn't anything better that was going to come out of that scenario as far as charges go.  They technically were at the right house.  They technically had the right to fire back when they were fired upon.  They technically don't have to knock or announce who they are.   They technically don't have to wear uniforms to identify as police.  They technically got a valid warrant from the judge.

So in the end the only guy who can really face charges is the guy sitting outside the apartment firing into the wall and windows.  I think they reviewed ballistics and he wasn't the one who shot Breonna so you technically can't charge him with manslaughter because he didn't shoot her.

It's a whole lot of technically built into a system that protects incompetence.
They had a witness that said the cops identified themselves before entering. It's just bad chain of events that quickly escalated after the first shot.

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: September 24, 2020, 11:51:47 AM »
Just build the Northern wall already. Jesus H. Christ.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: September 25, 2020, 11:48:57 AM »
As Bruce Cockburn so ably but it "Don't let the system fool you, all they want to do is rule you"
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

Offline Bender

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: September 25, 2020, 12:04:08 PM »
As Bruce Cockburn so ably but it "Don't let the system fool you, all they want to do is rule you"

If I had a rocket launcher, indeed!  ;D
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Sucker punching Logan Couture
    • View Profile
« Reply #2375 on: September 27, 2020, 05:34:47 PM »

It never fails to amaze me. Is he smart? No. A good public speaker? No. A decent and committed family man? No. Now, proof positive that he's not even a particularly successful businessman.

But he's entirely taken over the conservative movement.
Sports are like the reward of a functioning society
- Sean Doolittle

Offline Hobbes

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: September 27, 2020, 06:18:50 PM »

It never fails to amaze me. Is he smart? No. A good public speaker? No. A decent and committed family man? No. Now, proof positive that he's not even a particularly successful businessman.

But he's entirely taken over the conservative movement.

Really he's just a very good snake oil salesman leading a party that has been very little other than a snake oil consortium since Reagan's years.
It's not denial...I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

Offline Frycer14

• Veteran
  • Director of Hockey Strategy in training
    • View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: September 27, 2020, 08:42:06 PM »
I'm truly conflicted with the alarmist talk regarding the state of the nation and transfer of power if Trump truly refuses to concede.

On one hand, it sounds like a bad movie plot and you feel almost silly getting sucked in, but on the other hand, a growing number of seemingly intelligent people are speaking about it being a real possibility of strife and violence. 

Offline Bender

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: September 27, 2020, 09:01:12 PM »
I'm truly conflicted with the alarmist talk regarding the state of the nation and transfer of power if Trump truly refuses to concede.

On one hand, it sounds like a bad movie plot and you feel almost silly getting sucked in, but on the other hand, a growing number of seemingly intelligent people are speaking about it being a real possibility of strife and violence.

The road to fascism is paved with people saying it can't happen here.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: September 27, 2020, 10:07:30 PM »
#BeBlessed

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: September 27, 2020, 10:21:07 PM »

And lined with people telling others they?re overreacting.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: September 27, 2020, 10:25:23 PM »
How did he get national security clearance? Clearly there is an avenue for extortion. How is the most powerful position in the country so easily exploited?
#BeBlessed

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Sucker punching Logan Couture
    • View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: September 27, 2020, 10:34:07 PM »
Really he's just a very good snake oil salesman leading a party that has been very little other than a snake oil consortium since Reagan's years.

I guess that's the thing I don't get. If he were a slick talker like Bill Clinton, sure. Or even the sort of central casting figurehead dope Reagan was, ok. But he's a barely coherent fraud in a bad wig. How that translates into being a good salesman is what puzzles me.
Sports are like the reward of a functioning society
- Sean Doolittle

Offline Bender

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: September 27, 2020, 10:38:50 PM »

And lined with people telling others they?re overreacting.

I mean, all the arguments against taking any of what Trump does or says seriously are very bizarre. The President shouldn't be able to hide behind the classic middle school line "I was just joking" or "I wasn't actually serious." I have never heard a candidate or President ever say that the election is rigged. I understand there are issues with the way American democracy is administered but at the same time there at least has to be some baseline agreement on that democracy, so when a President says the election is rigged he is using his platform to sow doubt about the very fabric of American democracy, which he will double back on if he wins. This is in addition to saying mail in ballots are rife with fraud (they aren't) and when asked about a peaceful transfer of power deflected and said "there will be a continuation of power." I don't care what anyone's politics are, that is seriously Friged up.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 10:41:45 PM by Bender »

Offline Bender

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: September 27, 2020, 10:40:32 PM »

I guess that's the thing I don't get. If he were a slick talker like Bill Clinton, sure. Or even the sort of central casting figurehead dope Reagan was, ok. But he's a barely coherent fraud in a bad wig. How that translates into being a good salesman is what puzzles me.

He's not a good salesman to anyone who has a bull#$#%-o-meter running. To people who don't I can easily see how he takes people in. "Believe me... it's gonna be great... trust me... you wouldn't believe it... it's the best thing ever." Lots of people get swept up in that.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 10:42:08 PM by Bender »