Author Topic: The Donald  (Read 133824 times)

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: The Donald
« Reply #1935 on: April 08, 2020, 11:42:26 AM »
#BeBlessed

Offline princedpw

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: April 08, 2020, 12:07:36 PM »
What was he waiting for?

Offline Frank E

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: April 08, 2020, 12:20:23 PM »
Pretty impressive turnaround for Biden over the past month or so.

Offline L K

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: April 08, 2020, 12:34:40 PM »
It was fun watching the Supreme Court vote remotely to ban mail in voting extension for Wisconsin during their elections.

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: April 08, 2020, 01:05:55 PM »
What was he waiting for?
For Joe to start coughing😂
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

Offline Frycer14

• Veteran
  • Director of Hockey Strategy in training
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: April 21, 2020, 05:19:00 PM »

Offline WAYNEINIONA

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: April 21, 2020, 08:14:37 PM »

Pretty much what most people expected. Just another shot at Trump trying to be the savior of America.

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: April 21, 2020, 09:49:22 PM »

Pretty much what most people expected. Just another shot at Trump trying to be the savior of America.
Why is it in human nature to so readily trust a conman?
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: May 30, 2020, 01:15:48 PM »
The vote going the other way would not have solved racism/sexism/discrimination, merely continued to hide it. It's hard to defeat something that people deny the existence of. We've seen it ourselves here: they keep doing it because they don't know it's wrong.

It's out in broad daylight now. Between Brexit, Russia, France, ISIS, Boko Haram, and a Trumpublican US, we have tremendous fuel for education right on our door steps.

The election result is a great conversation starter to reach out to those of differing minds. Siloing with those we already agree with will only further the divides.

That would be great, but a lot of the people that were emboldened by Trump are willfully ignorant. There's no conversation to be had with them, or any education that's going to reach them. They're akin to 5 year olds with their fingers in their ears (and, yes, I acknowledge there are many with the same attitude on the other side, as well). These aren't people that are doing things because they don't know they're wrong, they're people who genuinely hold these positions and attitudes. Too many of them are beyond reach.

Their young children, on the other hand, hopefully are not. They're the ones that need to be educated, to be exposed to other races and cultures, and to have the values of equality and respect for basic human rights and dignities enshrined within them. We need to fix the future generations, because, the unfortunate truth is, large swathes of the current generations are broken beyond repair.

The problem is that the hatred just continues.  You can expose children to as much as you want but the values that their parents place on them seem to override what society is trying explain to them.  Like at the hatred that exists in the middle east and how long it has been going on for.  It's pretty simple to say "Hey if you stop hating one another, and stop fighting, things might get better", but they just don't want to let it go.

Be that as it may, I can't stop hoping; I can't say, this or that person is irredeemable. Because that route will lead to the Age of Ultron (or whatever AI singularity apocalypse you choose).

So yeah, it's going to suck (and be even more dangerous literally) for the next little while, but I know the oppression of what is good and noble will lead to some of the brightest works of humanity.

The indoctrinated hate mentioned does seem like a formidable wall. There's a reason such regimes abolish elements of society like free press and education up front. We have to keep talking about it, and try to build ideas towards solutions.

Where's your Pepsi now, 2016 herman? Sigh
#BeBlessed

Offline Bender

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: May 30, 2020, 02:15:57 PM »
The vote going the other way would not have solved racism/sexism/discrimination, merely continued to hide it. It's hard to defeat something that people deny the existence of. We've seen it ourselves here: they keep doing it because they don't know it's wrong.

It's out in broad daylight now. Between Brexit, Russia, France, ISIS, Boko Haram, and a Trumpublican US, we have tremendous fuel for education right on our door steps.

The election result is a great conversation starter to reach out to those of differing minds. Siloing with those we already agree with will only further the divides.

That would be great, but a lot of the people that were emboldened by Trump are willfully ignorant. There's no conversation to be had with them, or any education that's going to reach them. They're akin to 5 year olds with their fingers in their ears (and, yes, I acknowledge there are many with the same attitude on the other side, as well). These aren't people that are doing things because they don't know they're wrong, they're people who genuinely hold these positions and attitudes. Too many of them are beyond reach.

Their young children, on the other hand, hopefully are not. They're the ones that need to be educated, to be exposed to other races and cultures, and to have the values of equality and respect for basic human rights and dignities enshrined within them. We need to fix the future generations, because, the unfortunate truth is, large swathes of the current generations are broken beyond repair.

The problem is that the hatred just continues.  You can expose children to as much as you want but the values that their parents place on them seem to override what society is trying explain to them.  Like at the hatred that exists in the middle east and how long it has been going on for.  It's pretty simple to say "Hey if you stop hating one another, and stop fighting, things might get better", but they just don't want to let it go.

Be that as it may, I can't stop hoping; I can't say, this or that person is irredeemable. Because that route will lead to the Age of Ultron (or whatever AI singularity apocalypse you choose).

So yeah, it's going to suck (and be even more dangerous literally) for the next little while, but I know the oppression of what is good and noble will lead to some of the brightest works of humanity.

The indoctrinated hate mentioned does seem like a formidable wall. There's a reason such regimes abolish elements of society like free press and education up front. We have to keep talking about it, and try to build ideas towards solutions.

Where's your Pepsi now, 2016 herman? Sigh

We are in the worst timeline.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Sucker punching Logan Couture
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: May 30, 2020, 09:02:22 PM »
I said it a while ago with regards to the most important schism in politics not being left/right but pro or anti-revolution but I think we're seeing the evidence of that now. The more and more people think they're playing a rigged game without meaningful democracy and the more and more the winners of that game take the attitude of "Tough luck, losers. I got mine" then the more and more you're likely to see this sort of violence and resistance. This is what leads to the revolutions in other countries that we read about briefly before moving to the sports page and we're no more evolved or civilized than the people in those places are.

Simply put, the status quo no longer works for a lot of people and if you're one of the lucky few who it does work for you're either going to be in favour of massive reform or, well, you're going to see people throwing bricks.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 09:06:01 PM by Nik Bethune »
Sports are like the reward of a functioning society
- Sean Doolittle

Offline Bender

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: May 31, 2020, 12:44:50 AM »
I said it a while ago with regards to the most important schism in politics not being left/right but pro or anti-revolution but I think we're seeing the evidence of that now. The more and more people think they're playing a rigged game without meaningful democracy and the more and more the winners of that game take the attitude of "Tough luck, losers. I got mine" then the more and more you're likely to see this sort of violence and resistance. This is what leads to the revolutions in other countries that we read about briefly before moving to the sports page and we're no more evolved or civilized than the people in those places are.

Simply put, the status quo no longer works for a lot of people and if you're one of the lucky few who it does work for you're either going to be in favour of massive reform or, well, you're going to see people throwing bricks.

With that level of social stratification as well as outright institutional racism & massive erosion of basic democracy? Yeah man, something's got to give here, especially when you've got an administration that has basically failed the American people in every possible way except for maybe the already entrenched elite.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: June 01, 2020, 07:01:18 PM »
Most people (who aren't heavy internet users) are probably only catching the marches on their news outlet of choice, who are trying very hard to both-sides this. This thread, that I was catching piecemeal previously but now consolidated, is horrifying, heartbreaking, and I (not directly affected or involved) am livid.

Anyone who insists on All/Blue Lives Mattering/But the Looting these issues is siding with the bad guys.
#BeBlessed

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Sucker punching Logan Couture
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: June 01, 2020, 07:17:37 PM »

Sports are like the reward of a functioning society
- Sean Doolittle

Offline WAYNEINIONA

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: June 01, 2020, 09:11:57 PM »

I can't tell you where I'd like to stick that gun.