Author Topic: The Donald  (Read 129199 times)

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
Re: The Donald
« Reply #1890 on: January 31, 2020, 12:59:20 PM »
Absolutely unbelievable.   He’s getting away with this.
A confederacy of dunces.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline princedpw

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: January 31, 2020, 01:15:47 PM »

It has been clear he was going to be acquitted since before the house even began to investigate.  I'm shocked you are shocked.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: January 31, 2020, 01:16:53 PM »

Offline Hobbes

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: January 31, 2020, 06:08:10 PM »
No surprise...the majority of the "impartial jurors" of this "trial" have decided that they have no interest in hearing witness testimony or in reviewing evidence before they "deliberate" and pronounce Trump innocent. I wonder if the American public will be as disinterested in this sham as they have been about such trivial things as human rights, gender equality, sexual rights, the environment, health care, etc. I'm really, really disgusted at the depths to which a once proud nation has fallen.
It's not denial...I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

Offline OrangeBlack

• Marlie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: January 31, 2020, 06:47:01 PM »

Even worse I'm not sure he isn't going to win the next election??? The US is a severely divided Country.
To be honest...I'll be shocked if Trump doesn't win the next election.  Other than moderate Biden having a decent chance....who do the Democrats really have that can beat Trump.  This country won't elect a radical progressive such as Sanders or Warren.  As well, moderates Pete & Klobuchar are too much of a longshot to get the nomination.   The wild card is Bloomberg; however, right now....it seems like he'd rather just buy airtime than actually go out there & meet people. 

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: January 31, 2020, 07:11:22 PM »

Even worse I'm not sure he isn't going to win the next election??? The US is a severely divided Country.
To be honest...I'll be shocked if Trump doesn't win the next election.  Other than moderate Biden having a decent chance....who do the Democrats really have that can beat Trump.  This country won't elect a radical progressive such as Sanders or Warren.  As well, moderates Pete & Klobuchar are too much of a longshot to get the nomination.   The wild card is Bloomberg; however, right now....it seems like he'd rather just buy airtime than actually go out there & meet people. 

Same here.  The last time everyone thought Hillary was a sure-fire to beat Trump, guess what happened.

Won’t be the least bit surprised at all if Trump wins it all again.

Offline Hobbes

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: February 01, 2020, 07:19:21 AM »

Same here.  The last time everyone thought Hillary was a sure-fire to beat Trump, guess what happened.

Which do you think he will opt for after his re-election: King Trump, Emperor Trump, or Dictator-for-Life Trump? (I assume that his facility with language -- or lack thereof -- would preclude "Trump Rex")

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: February 01, 2020, 08:21:27 AM »

Which do you think he will opt for after his re-election: King Trump, Emperor Trump, or Dictator-for-Life Trump? (I assume that his facility with language -- or lack thereof -- would preclude "Trump Rex")
Dictator for Life has a nice death knell to the Republic sound to it lol.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Sucker punching Logan Couture
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: February 01, 2020, 09:30:32 AM »
The idea that America won't elect a "radical progressive", which is basically what Republicans call any Democrat vaguely to the left of Mussolini, is based largely in the same thinking that said Trump couldn't win.
Sports are like the reward of a functioning society
- Sean Doolittle

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Sucker punching Logan Couture
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: February 03, 2020, 01:29:02 PM »

In kind of a neat way the whole "Trump thinks the Kansas City Chiefs play in Kansas" thing really is a neat encapsulation of his entire presidency.

1. There are a lot of people who don't know that the city we talk about as "Kansas City" in sports and songs is actually in Missouri and it's not a huge mistake to make...provided that person isn't President of the United States. Of course that doesn't really come to light if...

2. The President, and I think we lose sight of how ridiculous this is, is on twitter making the same stupid mistakes about geography as random idiots. Of course that's compounded by...

3. Any Human being with even a vague sense of humility would say "Ooops, I meant Missouri" or something but for someone who calls himself the world's greatest genius who's never ever made a mistake he deletes the post and tweets out a corrected one, paradoxically establishing what a dullard he is as if his original tweet hasn't already been captured for posterity. This of course leads to...

4. The surreal Orwellian ridiculousness of his sycophantic bootlickers explaining how actually, if you think about it, since Kansas City, Kansas does exist then the fact that the team doesn't play in that city or state doesn't actually make the tweet incorrect.

Living in a world this stupid is really, really draining. 
Sports are like the reward of a functioning society
- Sean Doolittle

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: February 03, 2020, 01:38:47 PM »
I didn't even care about the whole thing until his idiot followers started with the whole "actually the President was right" stuff.

edit: I just realized that there's a very good chance when the team visits the White House one of them will be forced to admit the team plays in the state of Kansas.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 01:45:44 PM by CarltonTheBear »

Offline Hobbes

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: February 03, 2020, 05:28:42 PM »
Presumably on Wednesday Trump will be on the phone to Putin, Xi Jinping, and assorted other world leaders who might like to have Trump owe them favours in exchange for as much illegal hacking and other dirt-digging they can do on assorted Democratic party presidential hopefulls. It will be pretty much carte blanche from now on for sitting presidents to use the power of their office to benefit themselves and their parties for re-election.

Makes me wonder if there is any crime at all that he could commit that would actually result in something happening? His boast that he could shoot someone in broad daylight in NYC without repercussions seems to be a lot more factual than one would have thought at the time he made the statement.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 07:21:54 PM by Hobbes »

Offline Frank E

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: February 03, 2020, 06:22:15 PM »
OK, hands up if you knew that KC Chiefs played in Missouri?

Offline Joe S.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: February 03, 2020, 07:04:11 PM »
Admittedly I’m late to the game, but I just finished all 7 seasons of Veep and, paraphrasing JLD in one of her Emmy speeches it’s funny how the show went from satire to social commentary.

Offline L K

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: February 03, 2020, 07:53:30 PM »
The hilarity is that his lawyers argued that it wasn't so much that his actions are not above punishment but just above punishment while he is President.  So he would still face a potential murder charge if he shot and killed someone, but only after he stops being President.

They think this is a sound argument.