Author Topic: The Donald  (Read 114511 times)

Offline Hobbes

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: The Donald
« Reply #1875 on: January 07, 2020, 08:36:51 PM »
Well this escalated quickly. Can't believe this is going to happen
What's going to happen?
That stupid ignoramus is going to drag the world into war.
It's not denial...I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

Offline Hobbes

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: January 07, 2020, 08:42:43 PM »
I guess we can't say we weren't warned about it though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KV_nIgg008

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #1876 on: January 07, 2020, 08:42:43 PM »

Online Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: January 07, 2020, 10:35:07 PM »
Regardless of whether or not Soleimani needed to be taken off the board (and, for the record, I believe he did), the way it happened was still reckless, done without following protocol . . . oh, and, almost certainly an illegal assassination carried out on foreign soil without alerting the local government, which makes it a war crime.

There were better ways to go about this, like how they took down Bin Laden.

"Taken off the board"!!!

There are limited opportunities to do this, and I think they took their shot when they had a good chance with limited other casualties.  It was pretty clean, from what I've seen.

I think I need a little more context until I say this was or wasn't a good move.  Wasn't Pakistan pretty upset about the Obama administration going into Pakistan to kill UBL?
They had shots before and they didn't take them because previous administrations would rather have gotten the Iran nuclear deal done than not. This was done in retaliation to an earlier storming of the US embassy in Iraq, not a chance encounter with a groundhog popping his head above ground.

So here we are, with more conflict than before and a regime now bent on arming themselves. What a shock! What the end game here? They aren't overthrowing Iran's theocracy, and anyone they coaxed into believing that maybe following the west is the way to go isn't believing that anymore.

All for one guy. This isn't a terrorist organization like Al Qaeda that would really feel the impact of their leader getting killed. If a Canadian general was killed do you think there'd be an immediate change in direction? Probably not - there are redundancies for a reason in the military.

You kind of wonder if they'll push even harder against the west with their new general who has a point to prove.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline Hobbes

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: January 08, 2020, 08:08:14 AM »
Soleimani hasn't been hiding. He's been in plain sight for at least the last half dozen years and could have been taken out with minimal casualties pretty much any day of the week. And if taking him out was OBL level necessary, the number of casualties really wouldn't have been all that much of a concern. They would happily have hit a commuter train full of civilians if they'd known with 100% certainty that OBL was on board.

So far nobody in the Pentagon has indicated that there was any unusual or imminent threat that necessitated assassinating Soleimani right this instant. Nobody has attempted to spin it as "we just got word of something and had to act before he carried it out," and anyone who thinks that one of the largest armies in the world would have its plans particularly disrupted by one person's death doesn't know anything at all about how such operations are planned within a military structure/hierarchy. Assassinating Ike a week or two before the Normandy landings wouldn't have changed the operation in the slightest.

It has been pretty obvious that Trump has wanted an ace in the hole plan for his re-election and knows that a president-at-war stands an extremely high chance of winning a 2nd term even if they have extremely low approval ratings. The USA has a history of it, and as you can see from my earlier post, he's directly considered the strategy when he accused Obama of using it 8-9 years ago. He's talked about it on other occasions as well. His moves over the last 3 years set the stage for it perfectly. He pulled out of the nuclear oversight deal without any real justification (none of the other international participants felt that Iran was violating the terms and up until 3 days ago when Iran said that they now consider the treaty null and void, all evidence seems to suggest that they adhered to it). He has constantly used belligerent rhetoric when referring to them. He has disengaged/disentangled most of the US forces in the region from what they were doing in Iran, in spite of it being against the advice of just about any military or political advisor and has left the US' allies in precarious positions. He's been setting the stage for this for 3 years now.

Why assassinate Soleimani right now? Two reasons: it stands a very good chance of kicking off escalations in violence that he can parlay into a limited war with Iran in time to give him the necessary boost at the ballot box that will push enough "patriotic" undecided voters to his side; and it's also perfect timing to distract from the impeachment fiasco/proceedings in the Senate. Cable news (and the American public) have the attention span of a fruit fly so he's now able to manipulate the news cycle for the next little while pretty much at will. Nobody will focus on the sham that's about to be perpetrated by McConnel, et al, when they can be distracted with pretty video of cruise missiles being fired from destroyers, or jets taking off from assorted carriers.

It sickens me to think how many lives are likely to be lost over the coming months simply because this piece of garbage wants to win re-election no matter what the cost.

Offline Boston Leaf

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: January 08, 2020, 08:12:56 AM »
Very good assessment Hobbes... I couldn't agree more..

Online Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: January 08, 2020, 01:48:37 PM »
Soleimani hasn't been hiding. He's been in plain sight for at least the last half dozen years and could have been taken out with minimal casualties pretty much any day of the week. And if taking him out was OBL level necessary, the number of casualties really wouldn't have been all that much of a concern. They would happily have hit a commuter train full of civilians if they'd known with 100% certainty that OBL was on board.

So far nobody in the Pentagon has indicated that there was any unusual or imminent threat that necessitated assassinating Soleimani right this instant. Nobody has attempted to spin it as "we just got word of something and had to act before he carried it out," and anyone who thinks that one of the largest armies in the world would have its plans particularly disrupted by one person's death doesn't know anything at all about how such operations are planned within a military structure/hierarchy. Assassinating Ike a week or two before the Normandy landings wouldn't have changed the operation in the slightest.

It has been pretty obvious that Trump has wanted an ace in the hole plan for his re-election and knows that a president-at-war stands an extremely high chance of winning a 2nd term even if they have extremely low approval ratings. The USA has a history of it, and as you can see from my earlier post, he's directly considered the strategy when he accused Obama of using it 8-9 years ago. He's talked about it on other occasions as well. His moves over the last 3 years set the stage for it perfectly. He pulled out of the nuclear oversight deal without any real justification (none of the other international participants felt that Iran was violating the terms and up until 3 days ago when Iran said that they now consider the treaty null and void, all evidence seems to suggest that they adhered to it). He has constantly used belligerent rhetoric when referring to them. He has disengaged/disentangled most of the US forces in the region from what they were doing in Iran, in spite of it being against the advice of just about any military or political advisor and has left the US' allies in precarious positions. He's been setting the stage for this for 3 years now.

Why assassinate Soleimani right now? Two reasons: it stands a very good chance of kicking off escalations in violence that he can parlay into a limited war with Iran in time to give him the necessary boost at the ballot box that will push enough "patriotic" undecided voters to his side; and it's also perfect timing to distract from the impeachment fiasco/proceedings in the Senate. Cable news (and the American public) have the attention span of a fruit fly so he's now able to manipulate the news cycle for the next little while pretty much at will. Nobody will focus on the sham that's about to be perpetrated by McConnel, et al, when they can be distracted with pretty video of cruise missiles being fired from destroyers, or jets taking off from assorted carriers.

It sickens me to think how many lives are likely to be lost over the coming months simply because this piece of garbage wants to win re-election no matter what the cost.

Hear, hear!
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: January 08, 2020, 05:43:50 PM »

Excellent post, Hobbes.  You pretty much explained it all.

Trump claims he’s no politician.  He’s more ‘politician’ than they all are. 
Not only does he want the glory, but he would stop at nothing to derail/distract from the impeachment proceedings.  This guy is pretty Machiavellian in his own way.

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: January 19, 2020, 07:45:56 AM »
He’s a great golfer, too.  How The Donakd woos ‘em:

Risky as it is for Republicans to buck Trump politically, Trump has built personal ties with key members of Congress that have cemented their loyalty. Read Trump’s Twitter feed or listen to his rallies, and he comes off as an unhappy man, filled with grievances and self-obsessed. But that scabrous persona isn’t what he necessarily shows Republican lawmakers, nor is it what they care to see. “Trump has been extremely good at taking care of the parochial interests of members of Congress, and they appreciate that,” former Republican Representative David Jolly of Florida told me, adding that he’s discussed the president with his former colleagues. “I talked to one member who said, I wish he wouldn’t do these things, but privately, he’s a really nice guy and he’s really good to me.”

Read all about it:
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/01/how-trump-beat-impeachment/604357/

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: January 24, 2020, 05:59:41 PM »

Just in case you ever forget what kind of people the Trump administration has in its ranks

Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: January 24, 2020, 06:08:42 PM »
This was the part of the interview where Pompeo walked out btw:

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: January 24, 2020, 06:27:54 PM »
There was also this today:

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: January 25, 2020, 07:55:02 AM »
Looks like it was the other way around:

Star Trek’s logo inspiration:

Offline L K

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: January 31, 2020, 08:13:19 AM »
Absolutely unbelievable.   He’s getting away with this.   

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: January 31, 2020, 09:28:28 AM »

Too many GOP senators are more concerned about their chances of being re-elected if they piss off Trump's base than they are about protecting the constitution, the balance of power between the executive branch and the congressional branch, and the standards for the office of the president in general. Hopefully, it comes back to bite many of them, but, I don't have much hope in that.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Bates

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: January 31, 2020, 12:03:54 PM »

Even worse I'm not sure he isn't going to win the next election??? The US is a severely divided Country.