Author Topic: Surprise Teams  (Read 4730 times)

Offline Moot Point

• Prospect
    • View Profile
Re: Surprise Teams
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2011, 10:43:25 PM »
On the other side of the coin for surprise teams is Columbus.  WOW 1 win all season.
I guess we're optimists because we are Maple Leaf Fans.

Offline cw

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2011, 09:32:35 AM »
Team            Win%
TORONTO    0.750
DALLAS        0.727
EDMONTON  0.700

Those would be my biggest surprises.

Boston and Vancouver struggling after the Cup final isn't a total surprise but the Bruins at .300 is worse than I would have predicted.

Mild surprises would include Colorado, Florida and Ottawa doing as well as they have to start the season. The Rangers offensive woes are also a little surprising to me.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2011, 09:32:35 AM »

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2011, 03:45:18 PM »
What surprises me is that, as of now, there are only 6 teams in whole league with losing records:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm?type=con#&navid=nav-stn-conf

OK, I'm not really surprised.  Parity and OTLs account for it.

Online Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2011, 09:15:57 PM »
What surprises me is that, as of now, there are only 6 teams in whole league with losing records:

True... but I'm a little bit surprised. I didn't think it'd be this close right off the bat.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline cw

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2011, 10:22:20 PM »

True... but I'm a little bit surprised. I didn't think it'd be this close right off the bat.

It finished that way in 2008 (? one of the years since the lockout). Since the lockout (shoot outs = no ties), it ranges between 6-9 teams below .500 win% because there are no longer any ties. 0.500 hockey today compared to when there were no 3 pt games is closer to roughly .550 pts win% because of 3 pt games.

This record deserves an asterisk for example:
Wings set new standard for 100-point seasons
http://redwings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=467737

Offline L K

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2011, 08:38:32 AM »
Surprise players.  Wellwood ate his way back into the league.

Offline Corn Flake

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2011, 11:31:41 AM »
The Avs to me would be the team able to sustain.

offense looks good, with the exception of Dushene who will pick it up at some point... goaltending looks solid with the talented kid and Jiggy looking healthy and good to solidify things and mentor... defense has been better than expected - Eric Johnson might become the legit #1 this year which makes that trade look really really good.

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2011, 03:18:33 AM »
For sentimental reasons, I would choose the Islanders.

Realistically speaking, I would have to go with Colorado.

Offline crazyperfectdevil

• Veteran
  • Dead Inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2011, 03:01:20 AM »
I know the original post considers this without the leafs ..if we could ..let's bring them back for a moment ...I haven't watched the oilers at all so far this year...but they're on a 6 game winning streak ..and i don't know which teams those wins came against other than one was against the caps ..who hadn't lost a game at that point ...anyway ...if you had to choose which team is more "legit"  out of the leafs and the oilers...which would it be?

Offline Dappleganger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2011, 03:21:53 AM »
I know the original post considers this without the leafs ..if we could ..let's bring them back for a moment ...I haven't watched the oilers at all so far this year...but they're on a 6 game winning streak ..and i don't know which teams those wins came against other than one was against the caps ..who hadn't lost a game at that point ...anyway ...if you had to choose which team is more "legit"  out of the leafs and the oilers...which would it be?

Prolly the Leafs are more legit. The Oilers are more inexperienced and you'd have to think that their goaltending will come back to earth eventually.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 03:02:37 PM by dm_for_pm »

Offline Erndog

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2011, 01:00:45 AM »
Kind of funny how a quarter into the season it's only the Panthers who remain in a playoff spot. NOBODY saw that coming.

Offline Madferret

• Veteran
  • CHUCK NORRIS X2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2011, 02:47:10 PM »
Kind of funny how a quarter into the season it's only the Panthers who remain in a playoff spot. NOBODY saw that coming.

Tallon has done a great job there in a pretty short period of time...but you're right I don't think anyone around here had the Cats as a team in the playoff picture. Meow.

Offline cw

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2011, 03:14:22 PM »

I felt that in spite of the loss of Vokoun that they would be improved and they were in it until the last part of last season.

I expected their scoring to improve and it did.

I expected their goaltending to suffer with Vokoun's departure. Statistically, it has not. So that (maybe with their team defence) is what has surprised me or the difference in my expectations.

I'm not entirely shocked they're in the hunt.

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2011, 08:05:17 PM »

Tallon has done a great job there in a pretty short period of time...but
you're right I don't think anyone around here had the Cats as a team in
the playoff picture. Meow.

I had a notion that the Panthers would be an improved team this season, what with all the changes made to the team.  But, to actually believe that they would be in the race for a playoff spot, no, didn't expect them to cone this far so soon.  Stranger things have happened in the NHL this season, and the Panthers position in the standings can count as one.

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2011, 01:20:31 PM »
Funny enough, the Isles still being in the basement surprises me - For a bunch of reasons including feeling that Streit was going to make a sizeable difference there.