Author Topic: The Official Health and Fitness Thread  (Read 68060 times)

Offline AlmosGirl

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Health and Fitness Thread
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2011, 11:34:28 AM »
So last week was my birthday... Which also marked two years since my last cigarette (after ~19 years of smoking.) It's crazy, I could sooooo go for one right now... I don't think I'll ever fully recover from that addiction. :(

Congrats on the 2 yrs of no-smoking and happy belated birthday!  I agree with Mordac, it never really goes away.  I've been smoke-free for almost 6 years (this Christmas) and I still have those twinges but it's easier to forget about it now.  However, when I smell smoke outside of a store or something, it totally gags me out!

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2011, 11:34:28 AM »

Offline Stebro

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2011, 11:52:57 AM »
I want to get into better shape, I'm not in a bad shape, I just want to get more muscles etc, but im to friggin tired, I have no energy at all. It's not a problem physically. And whenever I start I hear this voice in my head, it's constantly saying "boring, boring, boring", and then I tell it to expand and it says "waste of time, waste of time, waste of time". Hmmm.
Life only demands from you the strength that you possess. Only one feat is possible; not to run away.

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2011, 11:57:57 AM »
Thanks AG... Stebro, try just a couple long, brisk walks a week to start. Fire up your favourite tunes on you iPod or MP3 or whatever and enjoy your surroundings. The more you do that, the more you'll want to do... trust me, I've been there.

Offline TheMightyOdin

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2011, 02:37:47 PM »
More exercise actually leads to more energy.  So if you are tired then you obviously can't handle your daily life workload with ease and should increase your strength and stamina.
The Catalyst?

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2011, 12:07:54 PM »
Interesting article on Marlie Mike Zigomanis and his vegan diet lifestyle.  Thought it would warrant a mention in this thread....

http://www.thestar.com/living/article/1080043--high-performance-herbivore-?bn=1
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 12:16:29 PM by hockeyfan1 »

Offline Rick Couchman

• Administrator
  • Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2011, 02:41:39 PM »
Simply put, I have a new F/T job. It's one I'm taking very, very seriously.  I have hired MYSELF to lose 150 lbs through a weight loss and fitness journey.  Due to my ongoing depression and anxiety, the doctors won't let me work.  So I'm spending alot of time doing nothing.  Well not anymore

I need to control diabetes, thyroidism, blood pressure, sleep apnea, mood...  Losing weight and finding fitness will help beat almost all of those things.  They're all obesity related to a large part.

So over the next 18 mths to 2 years, I WILL lose 150 lbs through lean, clean eating and daily fitness.  Cardio is the main start and I'l add weight training in a month or so.

This 350 lb fatass will complete this journey.  If I don't my doctor has hinted that my time is running out.

Offline moon111

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2011, 03:59:50 PM »
My mom was over-weight.  She became diabetic.  Then her blood pressure spiked so high it damaged her kidneys and eyes.  She finally tried to do something about it, spend every second day on a dialysis-machine, started exercising and it gave her a few years.  But in the end, the damage was done.  She passed away as her kidneys failed completely.  She missed getting to know any of her four grandkids.  However, in that time she tried to get healthy and look after herself, she lived more, was less depressed, and happier then she ever was.  I don't like remembering her before she got sick.
Rick, I really hope you can find that flicker of spirit like my mom did.  Only find it before something seriously happens.
R.I.P. Maureen.  You'll always be with us.

Offline Trolloc

• Prospect
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2011, 04:32:33 PM »
Simply put, I have a new F/T job. It's one I'm taking very, very seriously.  I have hired MYSELF to lose 150 lbs through a weight loss and fitness journey.  Due to my ongoing depression and anxiety, the doctors won't let me work.  So I'm spending alot of time doing nothing.  Well not anymore

I need to control diabetes, thyroidism, blood pressure, sleep apnea, mood...  Losing weight and finding fitness will help beat almost all of those things.  They're all obesity related to a large part.

So over the next 18 mths to 2 years, I WILL lose 150 lbs through lean, clean eating and daily fitness.  Cardio is the main start and I'l add weight training in a month or so.

This 350 lb fatass will complete this journey.  If I don't my doctor has hinted that my time is running out.

I dropped from 230 to around 170.  Since then I have been fluctuating from 160-180.

My best advice the following:

1) Take Small Steps - Your going to want to see weight disappear quick. I am guessing you will see it disappear quick. You will clean up your diet and in the first weeks lose 10 + pounds. After that initial slide, you will be brought back to the reality of losing 1 to 2 pounds a week. This is where I've failed many times, giving up on my diet. The reality is if you're losing 1 to 2 pounds a week....that is normal. You can't let small gains discourage you.

If you can average 7 pounds a month, you can lose 72 pounds in a year. I recommend each week you live your life a bit healthier. You won't be able to jog tomorrow or not eat junk from the get go. Get your diet better slowly. If you eat two bags of chips a week and drink 10 cokes, cut down to one bag and  8 cokes one week, half a bag and 4 cokes the next. Just each week make small improvements.

2) Write down and record everything - Take a photo today of your body and put it on your fridge. Write down every meal. This helps you make your life style a habit and properly measure your improvements. Same goes for exercises.

3) Dedicate 3 Days to Fitness - You may increase it when you're in better shape. But your body needs to rest. If you become too tired from working out too much, you're more likely to fail on your goal. Again, start small and build up what you do slowly. Take four days a week to rest your body.

4) Your Going to Fail - It is going to happen. You're going to have days you regress by eating that big mac combo. Failure is not the end of your diet...it is just a speed bump. If you fail, just get back to where you  were . So many times I ended my diets when I failed. A perfect game is great... but so is a complete game. You don't need a perfect game, there will be mistakes...the key is to keep your composure and get back into the game.

Best of luck, feel free to contact me if you need someone to chat too.

Offline Rick Couchman

• Administrator
  • Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2011, 10:38:11 PM »

I dropped from 230 to around 170.  Since then I have been fluctuating from 160-180.

My best advice the following:

1) Take Small Steps - Your going to want to see weight disappear quick. I am guessing you will see it disappear quick. You will clean up your diet and in the first weeks lose 10 + pounds. After that initial slide, you will be brought back to the reality of losing 1 to 2 pounds a week. This is where I've failed many times, giving up on my diet. The reality is if you're losing 1 to 2 pounds a week....that is normal. You can't let small gains discourage you.

If you can average 7 pounds a month, you can lose 72 pounds in a year. I recommend each week you live your life a bit healthier. You won't be able to jog tomorrow or not eat junk from the get go. Get your diet better slowly. If you eat two bags of chips a week and drink 10 cokes, cut down to one bag and  8 cokes one week, half a bag and 4 cokes the next. Just each week make small improvements.

2) Write down and record everything - Take a photo today of your body and put it on your fridge. Write down every meal. This helps you make your life style a habit and properly measure your improvements. Same goes for exercises.

3) Dedicate 3 Days to Fitness - You may increase it when you're in better shape. But your body needs to rest. If you become too tired from working out too much, you're more likely to fail on your goal. Again, start small and build up what you do slowly. Take four days a week to rest your body.

4) Your Going to Fail - It is going to happen. You're going to have days you regress by eating that big mac combo. Failure is not the end of your diet...it is just a speed bump. If you fail, just get back to where you  were . So many times I ended my diets when I failed. A perfect game is great... but so is a complete game. You don't need a perfect game, there will be mistakes...the key is to keep your composure and get back into the game.

Best of luck, feel free to contact me if you need someone to chat too.

Great suggestions - and congrats on the loss!

Offline Bullfrog

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2011, 08:03:35 AM »
Good for you, Rick!  The body/mind is one complete system. You can't expect to be completely healthy in one and not the other. So i'm glad you're starting this journey.

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2011, 08:15:56 AM »
Please keep us posted, Rick... Best of luck... Put all than junk food $ away... You're gonna need that for new clothes!

Offline AlmosGirl

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2011, 12:00:59 PM »
Sending many supportive hugs to you Rick!

Trolloc's suggestions are awesome.

I started last January and by May had lost 12 lbs.  Throughout the summer, I didn't really try, kinda ate what I wanted with some exercise here and there.  I didn't gain anything but I didn't lose anything either. 

Oct. 1st hubby and I decided to get eating better again and he had hit the 280lb mark.  He's 6'1" but it was catching up to him and he freaked.  We pretty much cut out carbs for one thing.  If we have any, it's very very small portions.  We eat chicken and fish alot and more lean meats.  I bought the George Foreman grill and I love that thing.  Lots of salads, veggies and fruit.  Pop is a treat and lots of water.  I drink about 4 bottles a day and hubby does 6 or more.  Hubby runs, I can't run (planter facitis) but I do an exercise cardio video or ride my bike (at least 30 mins a day - 5 to 6 days a week).

Anyhow, hubby is down 42lbs total and I'm down another 13 lbs for a total of 25 lbs for me.  I'm finally able to get into most of my clothes before I got pregnant with #3.  I do find that men lose alot faster but hubby has also had those weeks where it fell off fast and then a few weeks where it slowed down but we've just kept pushing. 

I know for me, I feel much better, not bloated as much and more energy.  I want to lose at least another 20lbs and hubby another 30lbs.  Will it take longer than I'd like, maybe so but I'm doing it at my pace.  I'm nowhere near starving myself and if I feel like a treat once a week, then I do that for myself.

Were here for you Rick!  No matter what!

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2011, 12:18:41 PM »
I've lost about 60lbs since getting married about 15 months ago and I still have a long way to go.  Sometimes I'll fall down, but always getting back up is the key.  I like what Trolloc said about not having to have a perfect game, just a complete one.

What has helped me a lot is having one cheat day a week, it's a day where you can basically indulge, eat what you want and as much as you want.

It helps psychologically knowing that you can skip that burger and have it on your cheat day.  It also supposedly helps your body burn fat.  I also found when I eat helps, not having a large meal after 3/4 pm if I can avoid it and doing something in the evening after that meal, even if it's just for a walk with the dog.

For me it's been a slow and steady process that I could speed up with a greater commitment to exercise, but I'll work it out eventually.

Best of luck to you Rick and to anyone else fighting the good fight, you have another supporter in me.

Offline Peter D.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2011, 12:20:20 PM »
In the last 8 months or so, I've lost about 15 pounds.  I was just over 200 at the time and have now dipped just below 190.  When I stepped on the scale I was concerned that something may be wrong because I didn't plan on losing weight, let alone a drop like that.  However, looking back, I do attribute a portion of it to the stress I have documented before on this site.  Having a kid certainly plays a role, as I sometimes skip meals running around after her.  Beyond that though, I play ball hockey once or twice a week; don't go out as much thus meaning less alcohol/beer; cut out my daily bagel/tea biscuit/muffin here at work and instead bring my own yogurt and granola parfait; and I rarely eat out.

Good luck Rick!  Keep us updated on your progress.  I have a buddy I play hockey with who went from about your size to around 200 lbs. over the same time frame you project.  I didn't know him when he was bigger, and when I saw a picture I was shocked.  He keeps that picture with him in his car as a reminder to never allow himself to get back to that phase in his life -- similar to what Trolloc suggested.

Advice from him to other "bigger" guys on our team was that you don't necessarily have to cut out everything; it's all portion control.  Don't disallow cravings.  But it's small stuff that adds up.  If you go to a restaurant, instead of having three pieces of bread, have one.  If you take two sugars with your coffee/tea, cut it down to one.  He suggested that if you look at it on an annualized basis, it means, for instance, you'd be consuming 365 less packs of sugar. 

There will be bumps, but it certainly can be done.

Offline TheMightyOdin

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2011, 12:52:34 PM »
I've realized Rick that everything works as long as you keep doing it. One fitness program maybe more intense and give you faster results then another but your journey is a marathon not a race.

Even if you only lost 1-2 pounds per week they will add up. It just takes commitment and consistency.
The Catalyst?

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2011, 12:52:34 PM »