Author Topic: So, about Phil Kessel...  (Read 50095 times)

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: So, about Phil Kessel...
« Reply #150 on: April 15, 2015, 10:30:58 AM »
Kessel looks like a chipmunk, that is not going to change even if we went on a concentration camp diet.
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

Offline pmrules

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 15, 2015, 10:33:58 AM »
I just can't understand why Kessel has a problem with Dave Feschuk.  Whatever could it be.

You think Feschuk's the problem???

;)

Offline Coco-puffs

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 15, 2015, 10:38:49 AM »
I just can't understand why Kessel has a problem with Dave Feschuk.  Whatever could it be.

Funny, I think that comment wasn't one of the more atrocious in that article.  Feschuk is quite the douchebag.

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 15, 2015, 10:39:48 AM »

Funny, I think that comment wasn't one of the more atrocious in that article.  Feschuk is quite the douchebag.

He just can't write on Kessel without mentioning his weight in some way or another.  No evidence that he's ever looked into it further either.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 15, 2015, 12:11:45 PM »
Being a "columnist" is such a sweet gig. Why would anybody even call themselves reporters?

Offline Heroic Shrimp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 15, 2015, 12:44:57 PM »

He just can't write on Kessel without mentioning his weight in some way or another.  No evidence that he's ever looked into it further either.

You weight analytics guys...  Kessel fails the eye test, man.  Round face means fat, end of story.

And don't get me started on that other fatty, Charlie Brown.
Supersize my Freedom Fries

Offline L K

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 15, 2015, 12:59:28 PM »

You weight analytics guys...  Kessel fails the eye test, man.  Round face means fat, end of story.

Do we get to suspend Feschuk for his crappy grammar?

Offline TDotMassive

• Prospect
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 15, 2015, 04:40:49 PM »

French Fry Phil is done!  ;D

All kidding aside... Kessel is still an elite talent and can snipe goals like few others in the world.  Kessel though is not a leader, not a character guy that can lift a team (or even a line apparently)... but on a deep contending team, he doesn't have to be, cause he will be centered by that guy, who will lift HIM up and make him the best Kessel he can be.  Toronto has not been able to provide that for him, that's management's fail.  His lack of effort this year though, and sometimes apparent lack of conditioning (this is apparently debatable), is his fail.  I do think though, if he gets traded to a contender with a real center, watch him smash the 40 goal mark.

Offline Mostar

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 15, 2015, 05:07:00 PM »
I concur. I wouldn't be quick to lose Phil if I thought the Leafs could do that, but getting a handful of guys like that is gonna take some time.

Offline Al14

• Veteran
  • Leafs fan for life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 18, 2015, 10:23:57 AM »
I concur. I wouldn't be quick to lose Phil if I thought the Leafs could do that, but getting a handful of guys like that is gonna take some time.

That's the problem, Kessel is already near to the peak of his prime.  With his lack of off season training, he's more likely to decline faster physically than most.  We don't have time to retain him, and, try to surround him with the type of players he needs to succeed.

I think we need to find Kessel a new home with a team that thinks they're a Kessel away from contending.  Get the most return we can and move on from Mr. 2 1sts and a 2nd!  Thanks Burke!

Offline Bullfrog

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 18, 2015, 01:33:27 PM »

That's the problem, Kessel is already near to the peak of his prime.  With his lack of off season training, he's more likely to decline faster physically than most.  We don't have time to retain him, and, try to surround him with the type of players he needs to succeed.

What's your source for that dubious claim?

Offline Heroic Shrimp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 18, 2015, 01:49:13 PM »

Isn't the lack of exclamation points a clear indication of well-reasoned and well-supported claims?
Supersize my Freedom Fries

Offline Bullfrog

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 18, 2015, 04:05:11 PM »
I'm a skeptic, HS, I demand irrefutable evidence.

Unless we're talking about homeopathic medicine. Diluted water cures all.

Offline Pick

• Prospect
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 18, 2015, 09:56:17 PM »

If you say something often enough it somehow becomes the truth. You are right, we really don't know what Phil's off-season training is like. All we can judge is his on-ice performance and he's been this teams highest point scorer for how many seasons?

Phil didn't enjoy one of his better years but most of the NHL stars saw their totals drop this year (Art Ross trophy was won with the fewest point total since like the '60s - shortened seasons not included).

Kessell's gotta go. He's the highest paid player on a team that has performed miserably and he really hasn't helped his cause by winning anybody's heart. But the criticism he gets on this board is way over the top and in most cases not based on known facts.

The same goes for Phaneuf. Kessel and Phaneuf get the most criticism around here but for anybody watching without bias, these two guys are the most intense on the team. If they lack passion, then the rest of the team lacks a pulse.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 19, 2015, 09:26:15 PM »

If you say something often enough it somehow becomes the truth. You are right, we really don't know what Phil's off-season training is like. All we can judge is his on-ice performance and he's been this teams highest point scorer for how many seasons?

Phil didn't enjoy one of his better years but most of the NHL stars saw their totals drop this year (Art Ross trophy was won with the fewest point total since like the '60s - shortened seasons not included).

Kessell's gotta go. He's the highest paid player on a team that has performed miserably and he really hasn't helped his cause by winning anybody's heart. But the criticism he gets on this board is way over the top and in most cases not based on known facts.

The same goes for Phaneuf. Kessel and Phaneuf get the most criticism around here but for anybody watching without bias, these two guys are the most intense on the team. If they lack passion, then the rest of the team lacks a pulse.

Strong post, Pick. Welcome to the board and thanks for contributing to the discussion!
#BeBlessed