Author Topic: Kadri Misses Meeting - Sent Home  (Read 14165 times)

Offline cw

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Kadri Misses Meeting - Sent Home
« Reply #165 on: March 15, 2015, 04:35:24 PM »
Wilson: ''I never felt that Nazem ever listened to me''
http://www.tsn.ca/video/wilson-i-never-felt-that-nazem-ever-listened-to-me-1.230332

"...if we had drawn a hard line with him and sent him down to the minors and made an example of him early on in his career..."

This was something that caught my ear when I heard it. Kadri played 29 and then 21 NHL games in his first two seasons under Wilson. In his first season he was cut from training camp, called up in November, sent back down in January after 17 games, and then called back up in March after the deadline.

Season 2, it looked like he might make the team out of camp but injured his knee late in preseason. He played in 3 NHL games in late October after he recovered before being sent to the AHL. Stayed there until late December when he was called up and played 16 games before again being sent back down. Then he was called up for a pair of games late in the season.

The team did take a pretty tough approach towards Kadri when Wilson was his coach. That's actually something I remember a lot of people complained about. So if Wilson can't even properly describe how the team handled him I'm not going to put a lot of stock into the other things he says. He's clearly on TV because he has an axe to grind and saying these things makes for good ratings.

Fair points made on Wilson.

Upon reflection, Burke, Nonis, Eakins, Wilson, Carlyle, Horachek & Shanahan have all criticized Kadri over the years and I don't recall a good case being made that it wasn't accurate criticism.

I realize Don Cherry's position but there is a case to be made that they were not getting through otherwise ... criticism via the media is often one of the last resorts.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #165 on: March 15, 2015, 04:35:24 PM »

Offline Rebel_1812

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 15, 2015, 04:42:39 PM »
The bigger issue with wilson is how he lasted so long as the coach if he had issues with many of his players.

They say 1/3 of the players like the coach (often because the coach likes them and they've benefited from that with more ice time), 1/3 of the players don't like the coach (often because the coach doesn't like them as much and they've suffered from that with less ice time) and 1/3 are on the fence ... with the coach in his early seasons trending towards against him in later seasons if they don't keep winning.

So Wilson, like many NHL coaches, was going to have problems with a number of his players. That alone doesn't disqualify him from doing an ok job. I wasn't a big fan of his nor did I hate him.

In spite of Don Cherry, Kadri had issues with his game and professionalism. Eakins noted them. Wilson noted them. So did Carlyle. Now Horachek and Shanahan. I have some respect for all of those guys and it's very unlikely they're all wrong.

I did hate wilson and think he is by far the worse coach the leafs have had since the 80s.  Your right some players will like you and some will not.  You don't want to have issues with your best player in kessel and your player of the future in kadri.  You better have a good relationship with the best players else your team will not perform well; which they didn't.

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 15, 2015, 04:46:03 PM »
http://www.tsn.ca/video/wilson-i-never-felt-that-nazem-ever-listened-to-me-1.230332

Coach’s Corner: Nazem Kadri will leave in two years
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/coachs-corner-nazem-kadri-will-leave-two-years/

This is going to be a painful process ...

Ron Wilson really needs to go away.  I don't really care for the guys who come out of the woodwork an start retroactively backtalking.  Much less a guy who openly admits an axe to grind and references a 49 game stint with the Leafs on his proof that Nazem didn't listen to him.  Wilson's a blowhard.  I don't care for Cherry in the least because he rarely makes sense and is usually wrong when you can understand what he says, but his constant "I don't kick things when they are down" (spoiler alert, he does) would be some good advice for some of the idiots running the broadcast  and sports media.  Where was Wilson before the collapse.  Coming out after the fact, openly admitting a bias and then spouting off stuff in a vague enough way to be impossible to dispute but also not providing anything concrete is useless click-baiting. 

I've lost interest in the Leafs and it took a hell of a lot to get me to that point.  But I lost interest in the Toronto sports media long before that.  Adding more of this useless garbage only pushes me farther away from that.  I have been cable free for a few years now and use NHL Gamecenter with a US account to watch Leafs games.  I don't watch TSN.  I don't go to their website anymore, I'm completely done with the shoddy "journalism" around the Leafs. 

I'm happy to read blogs and catch the stories through those and the message board but I'm just tired of not only real negativity but contrived stories to keep people who have long since become irrelevant in the sporting world relevant.

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2015/3/14/8214559/in-defence-of-nazem-kadri
That and they offer no nuanced analysis. Omg Calgary is in the playoffs but not the Leafs therefore Calgary is a good team! Except there are tons of issues in their despite being in the playoffs. I read somewhere that they are basically the Colorado of this year based on shooting percentages.

Furthermore, Im reminded of Larionovs article recently about how coaches are asking for the simple play. Sometimes you need to allow players to be creative and let them thrive that way.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline LuncheonMeat

• Veteran
  • Reverse Tank!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 15, 2015, 05:05:17 PM »

"...if we had drawn a hard line with him and sent him down to the minors and made an example of him early on in his career..."

This was something that caught my ear when I heard it. Kadri played 29 and then 21 NHL games in his first two seasons under Wilson. In his first season he was cut from training camp, called up in November, sent back down in January after 17 games, and then called back up in March after the deadline.

Season 2, it looked like he might make the team out of camp but injured his knee late in preseason. He played in 3 NHL games in late October after he recovered before being sent to the AHL. Stayed there until late December when he was called up and played 16 games before again being sent back down. Then he was called up for a pair of games late in the season.

The team did take a pretty tough approach towards Kadri when Wilson was his coach. That's actually something I remember a lot of people complained about. So if Wilson can't even properly describe how the team handled him I'm not going to put a lot of stock into the other things he says. He's clearly on TV because he has an axe to grind and saying these things makes for good ratings.

Upon reflection, Burke, Nonis, Eakins, Wilson, Carlyle, Horachek & Shanahan have all criticized Kadri over the years and I don't recall a good case being made that it wasn't accurate criticism.

I realize Don Cherry's position but there is a case to be made that they were not getting through otherwise ... criticism via the media is often one of the last resorts.

Gary Roberts was on a show last week (TSN?), and was discussing the Kadri situation a bit.  He brought up Kadri coming to him a few summers ago to get in shape, which is the season he was criticized by Eakins for coming to camp with terrible body fat composition.  His tone was interesting, along the lines of he came once and I never heard from him again. 

Kadri strikes me as a guy who is being pulled in all different directions, and is a bit confused about what he actually needs to do.  I wonder if a guy like Shanahan, someone who as a player would have probably been a good role model,  might be able to get through to him.
“How many people from Ontario play in the National Hockey League? Once we make it safe, they’re coming home. Mark my words, they’ll be coming.”
~ Mike Bacock, in an open letter to Steven Stamkos Drew Doughty John Tavares

Offline Al14

• Veteran
  • Leafs fan for life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 15, 2015, 07:00:16 PM »

Gary Roberts was on a show last week (TSN?), and was discussing the Kadri situation a bit.  He brought up Kadri coming to him a few summers ago to get in shape, which is the season he was criticized by Eakins for coming to camp with terrible body fat composition.  His tone was interesting, along the lines of he came once and I never heard from him again. 

Kadri strikes me as a guy who is being pulled in all different directions, and is a bit confused about what he actually needs to do.  I wonder if a guy like Shanahan, someone who as a player would have probably been a good role model,  might be able to get through to him.

If Shanahan can't get through to Kadri, then, I'm afraid no one can! 

Kadri had the chance to work with Gary Roberts, and, by the sounds of it, he didn't like the work ethic Roberts promotes.

If being exposed to two great former hockey players can't motivate you to be your best, then, it may be time for the Leafs to trade Kadri for the best return possible.

Offline LuncheonMeat

• Veteran
  • Reverse Tank!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 17, 2015, 01:45:45 PM »
So Shanahan imposed a 3-game suspension on Kadri, taking him to task for not being professional.  Assuming he gets suspended by the league for a few games for last night's head shot, is this interpreted as more unprofessional behavior?  Or is it a non-factor since it was a hockey play?  Just wondering if Kadri gets himself into more trouble with this.
“How many people from Ontario play in the National Hockey League? Once we make it safe, they’re coming home. Mark my words, they’ll be coming.”
~ Mike Bacock, in an open letter to Steven Stamkos Drew Doughty John Tavares

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 17, 2015, 03:38:28 PM »
So Shanahan imposed a 3-game suspension on Kadri, taking him to task for not being professional.  Assuming he gets suspended by the league for a few games for last night's head shot, is this interpreted as more unprofessional behavior?  Or is it a non-factor since it was a hockey play?  Just wondering if Kadri gets himself into more trouble with this.

Probably a case of if the League suspends him, then that is punishment enough.  I don't think I have ever seen a team get there player in trouble for something like a suspect hit if the League chooses not to suspend the player.
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be.” - Khalil Gibran

Offline Chris

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 17, 2015, 04:50:55 PM »

Probably a case of if the League suspends him, then that is punishment enough.  I don't think I have ever seen a team get there player in trouble for something like a suspect hit if the League chooses not to suspend the player.

Hard to tell if there was intent to injure in that play, it was so fast. If the league suspends, fine, but I think at most a couple of games.

I think the team might have more of a problem with his tirade at the end of the game that netted a bunch of penalties.

Offline Al14

• Veteran
  • Leafs fan for life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 17, 2015, 08:39:12 PM »

Hard to tell if there was intent to injure in that play, it was so fast. If the league suspends, fine, but I think at most a couple of games.

I think the team might have more of a problem with his tirade at the end of the game that netted a bunch of penalties.

I only saw the replay twice, however, from what I could tell, this was incidental contact IMHO.  I don't think it was intentional contact by Kadri.  His arms were down, however, it looked like his elbow did rise a bit in response to the contact.  Really unsure!

If Kadri gets anything, it'll be only a game or two.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #173 on: March 17, 2015, 08:39:12 PM »