Author Topic: Franson, Santorelli to NSH for 1st round pick, Brendan Leipsic, Olli Jokinen  (Read 23569 times)

Online L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
maybe they take this first and trade with a bozak or a winnik for a better 1st? just a thought

Don't sleep on where Nashville's pick might end up. They could very easily have LA in the first round.

And they will always be a Pekka Rinne injury away from being playoff fodder.  I think Nashville has a roster that is primed for a deep playoff run but it could easily fall off the tracks.

Regardless having two first round picks is never a bad thing.

TMLfans.ca

Offline TML fan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
What's Jokinen's contract status?

$2.5M cap number this year, UFA afterwards. So he's only a Leaf for a couple of months.

Good....good.

Offline Stickytape

• Veteran
    • View Profile
I hope Jokinen somehow finds his way back onto a playoff-bound team by the deadline, though I don't really see that happening. At least his wife is staying positive:

Katerina Jokinen ‏
@MrsJoki

Never did like mustard yellow

Online L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
Just a year ago Jokinen had 43 points.  A team with cap space and on the borderlines of a playoff team might take a stab at him for next to nothing but I can't see anything more than that at best.  But even if the Leafs could pull out a 7th round pick for him, that's prime "pick a Swede" territory.

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
maybe they take this first and trade with a bozak or a winnik for a better 1st? just a thought

Don't sleep on where Nashville's pick might end up. They could very easily have LA in the first round.

where does a first round exit put that pick?

I think it depends on who else gets knocked out in the first round. If Nashville has the highest point total of those teams it would be 19th, I think.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
I think it depends on who else gets knocked out in the first round. If Nashville has the highest point total of those teams it would be 19th, I think.

1st to 14th are the non-playoff teams. Then the 8 teams knocked out of the 1st round, ranked by points. So assuming that Nashville has the most points of teams knocked out of the 1st round they'd draft 22nd.

Offline pmrules

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
Yeah....seems about right in terms of a package.

Is the prospect kid playing centre or wing?   I've seen both mentioned. 

Offline jdh1

• Rookie
    • View Profile
I like the deal...Plus it gives them time to put together a deal for one or two of the core.

Offline Omallley

• Global Moderator
  • Rookie
    • View Profile
I'm not overwhelmed by the return, but it certainly isn't a bad one.

Interested to see Leipsic with the Marlies...

Online Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile

I'm sure the man ultimately responsible for this disaster cannot make any deals at all without Shanahan, Hunter et al approving it.

I would hope not. He's currently employed by the Calgary Flames.

Lol. That was tart.

Offline LuncheonMeat

• Veteran
  • Reverse Tank!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Franson, Santorelli to NSH for 1st round pick, Brendan Leipsic, Olli Jokinen
« Reply #100 on: February 15, 2015, 02:12:47 PM »
Poile, by all accounts, is a pretty clever GM. A late round first a 3rd rounder and a salary dump isn't a great return fro two sought after players come deadline time. I think he knew Franson and Santo's value would have only gone up in the coming weeks. Smart move and good deal for Nashville.

Did the Leafs get what they wanted? Probably not, but we'll see how the picks they got turn out before we know for sure.

I'm giving the trade a C for the Leafs and a B+ for Nashville.

I'd be somewhat surprised if any other team moved a 1st round pick at the deadline. I absolutely thought Franson deserved a 1st but a lot of teams are reportedly very hesitant to move one this year. So getting a pick like that back is a success no matter how you look at it.

We also have a team to cheer for in the playoffs now!   :P

This from Leaf's Notebook on the MLHS site - recent trades and what they fetched  Not really spectacular returns for anyone:

Lee Stempniak               3rd
Marcel Goc                       3rd+5th
Dustin Penner               4th
Ales Hemsky               3rd+5th
Matt Moulson, Cody McCormick   2nd, 2nd, Torrey Mitchell
Tuomo Ruutu               Cond. 3rd, Andrei Loktionov
Derek Roy                       Kevin Connauton 2nd
Raffi Torres               3rd
“How many people from Ontario play in the National Hockey League? Once we make it safe, they’re coming home. Mark my words, they’ll be coming.”
~ Mike Bacock, in an open letter to Steven Stamkos Drew Doughty John Tavares

Offline lamajama

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Franson, Santorelli to NSH for 1st round pick, Brendan Leipsic, Olli Jokinen
« Reply #101 on: February 15, 2015, 02:19:31 PM »
I'm sure the man ultimately responsible for this disaster cannot make any deals at all without Shanahan, Hunter et al approving it.

I would hope not. He's currently employed by the Calgary Flames.

Good one. He started it with his decision to not tear it down probably due to his ego but Nonis certainly has applied the ribbon and bow. Baffling buyouts, incredulous Cap Management and Clarkson. Not so much for the player as for the structure of the contract.
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.

Offline moon111

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 15, 2015, 02:55:22 PM »
Hopefully this helps the team get worst/better draft pick.  Convinces others that it's time to pack their bags and leave the club for greener pastures.  Starts an arm's race in the Western.  If Nashville gets Franson, who gets Phaneuf?  With a salary cap, Leafs can replaces players with UFAs. 

1st used for Jesper Lindgren, right-handed D-man who played with Nylander?
R.I.P. Maureen.  You'll always be with us.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 15, 2015, 03:16:08 PM »
So Franson is open to coming back. If we move Phaneuf (or other salary anchors), would you bring him back to anchor a developing blue line (Rielly, Gardiner, Percy, Granberg, Loov), or would you just let Robidas player-coach the next year+?

Sounds like Olli doesn't want to play here either. Do you think we can flip him in a package to a borderline contender in need of centre depth (Calgary? NYI?) for a 2nd/3rd + salary dump?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 03:17:51 PM by herman »

Offline Tigger

• All Star
  • You can play
    • View Profile
"My father was born shortly after the Wright Brothers" Charlie Duke

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #104 on: February 15, 2015, 03:22:31 PM »