Author Topic: Franson, Santorelli to NSH for 1st round pick, Brendan Leipsic, Olli Jokinen  (Read 23570 times)

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Also, as Chris Johnson just reminded me on twitter, we should all be sending massive "Thank-You" cards to Josh Gorges right now.

It should also remind us why, ultimately, Nonis should not be the GM of this team anymore.

TMLfans.ca

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
Also, as Chris Johnson just reminded me on twitter, we should all be sending massive "Thank-You" cards to Josh Gorges right now.

It should also remind us why, ultimately, Nonis should not be the GM of this team anymore.

I agree and everything but this sort of thing is what I think Nonis is fine at. If he's just calling around the league and gauging players values and scouting amateurs then fine. I don't want him doing the rebuilding but I think he can manage the tearing down.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Online Bullfrog

• All Star
    • View Profile
Two pending UFAs turned into a 1st and a decent prospect? I'm happy with that return.

I really liked Santorelli, but not enough to keep him. I agree with Nik; it'd be crazy not to trade him.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Looks like a very reasonable return to me.
As mentioned, this ups our tank game and brings back a 1st and flippable assets. I was worried one of our trade bait players would get injured.

This exodus is going better than the one under Fletcher already.

Online Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
As mentioned, this ups our tank game and brings back a 1st and flippable assets. I was worried one of our trade bait players would get injured.

Fletcher started fine, got decent value at the deadline for Antropov, Ponikarovsky Kilger.

Then Finger, Schenn*, Steen, Frogren and Van Ryn happened.

*Burke managed to salvage this, but the initial price to move up 2 spots to get Schenn was high
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 12:09:24 PM by Deebo »

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile

Fletcher started fine, got decent value at the deadline for Antropov, Ponikarovsky, Stempniak.

*Burke managed to salvage this, but the initial price to move up 2 spots to get Schenn was high

Your timeline is a little off. They got Stempniak for Steen.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 12:09:36 PM by Deebo »
-Karl Marx

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile

Yeah. The tank-force is getting stronger and stronger.
"The Maple Leafs are like a ship with a hole in the bottom, leaking water, and my job is to get the ship pointed in the right direction." --Steve Jobs for Brendan Shanahan.

Offline lamajama

• Veteran
    • View Profile
I'm sure the man ultimately responsible for this disaster cannot make any deals at all without Shanahan, Hunter et al approving it.

Nonis, thank God, is not the GM of this team in responsibilities just in title.
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
I'm sure the man ultimately responsible for this disaster cannot make any deals at all without Shanahan, Hunter et al approving it.

I would hope not. He's currently employed by the Calgary Flames.
-Karl Marx

Online Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile

Fletcher started fine, got decent value at the deadline for Antropov, Ponikarovsky, Stempniak.

Your timeline is a little off. They got Stempniak for Steen.

Yeah, I changed it to Kilger.

Online Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile

That article last week made some sense in suggesting that the mandate this past summer is different from the new mandate this month.  I can't blame Nonis for trying to cobble together a playoff team roster, if that's what he was told to do.

I like the deal just fine, even if just to get those two off the roster to further help the slide.

For the first time, I actually believe the Leafs are going in a new direction, and I'm encouraged by that.

Online Peter D.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Leafs get a 1st so I'm happy. Maybe they could have gotten more separately, maybe (probably) not. Either way, they got good value for two pending UFA's. Who knows, maybe they re-sign here. Not too upset about moving Santo -- the Leafs can just find the next MacArthur/Santorelli trying to rediscover themselves on a 1-year deal this summer.

And of course, this surely doesn't make the team better. Which is good. :)

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
Fletcher started fine, got decent value at the deadline for Antropov, Ponikarovsky Kilger.

Ponikarovsky and Antropov were both dealt away by Burke. Fletcher moved Kilger, Belak and Gill.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Online Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile

Ponikarovsky and Antropov were both dealt away by Burke. Fletcher moved Kilger, Belak and Gill.

Fletch was Steen for Stempniak too, right?

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile

Still, a second and a fifth for Gill was pretty good. I mean that second ended up being...Jimmy Hayes.

Dammit, Fletcher.
-Karl Marx

TMLfans.ca