Author Topic: Nonis using depth to go shopping....  (Read 173097 times)

Offline Rebel_1812

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Burke using depth to go shopping....
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2011, 11:23:49 AM »
i don't mind trading either bozak or gunnarson.  Aulie is a defensive dman like gunnarson but plays more physical, which makes gunnarson expendable.  Bozak couldn't put up good offensive numbers while playing with Kessel shows me that he is a 3rd liner at best.  I will not miss him either.

Offline pnjunction

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2011, 11:48:36 AM »
i don't mind trading either bozak or gunnarson.  Aulie is a defensive dman like gunnarson but plays more physical, which makes gunnarson expendable.

I don't know about that, I've noticed Gunnarsson doing decent work on the second PP unit so far.  Aulie remember did not impress enough in the preseason to make the team, while Gunnarsson is getting the 3rd most minutes of all D-men on the team right now (behind only the top pair of Phaneuf and Liles) and playing on both special teams.

That said I think Aulie has potential.  I like most of our depth guys but somebody will probably have to go...
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 11:51:47 AM by pnjunction »

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2011, 11:48:36 AM »

Offline sneakyray

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2011, 12:18:24 PM »
for some reason I got a picture in my head of bozak making a tim's run with burke's order.

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2011, 09:03:11 AM »
ESPN.COM:  The Bolts and Habs are believed in search of blueline help, with Custance citing “an NHL source” claiming the two teams had contacted the Toronto Maple Leafs about a deal involving one of the Leafs blueliners.
link: http://spectorshockey.net/wordpress/2011/10/25/nhl-rumors-tuesday-october-25-2011/

Offline Bleeding Blue & White

• Rookie
  • TMLFans Blogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2011, 09:11:33 AM »
The habs have nothing we wan't except for camalleri
"Make your own Luck" - Chris Jones. My life philosophy

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2011, 09:16:53 AM »

Assuming we're looking strictly at forwards, I also quite like MaxPac and to a lesser extent, Moen.

Offline Erndog

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2011, 09:38:00 AM »

Assuming we're looking strictly at forwards, I also quite like MaxPac and to a lesser extent, Moen.

Pacioretty is awesome.  His release is Kessel-like.  He can really wire it.  He's also pyshical and doesn't mind going in the dirty spots.

I have a couple friends who are huge Hab fans and they tell me that other than PK and Price he is probably the 3rd most untouchable guy.

I think he would be great with Kulemin-Grabovski on the 2nd line.

Unless we are offering something like Schenn (or another overpayment) I don't see them moving him. 

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2011, 09:49:39 AM »

Pacioretty is awesome.  His release is Kessel-like.  He can really wire it.  He's also pyshical and doesn't mind going in the dirty spots.

I have a couple friends who are huge Hab fans and they tell me that other than PK and Price he is probably the 3rd most untouchable guy.

I think he would be great with Kulemin-Grabovski on the 2nd line.

Unless we are offering something like Schenn (or another overpayment) I don't see them moving him.

Apparently he's hurt now too... Bad time for the Habs!

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2011, 12:19:12 PM »
Odds are they're talkign about someone like Franson, which means picks and/or prospects in return - and not likely of the high end variety either.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2011, 12:20:34 PM »
Odds are they're talkign about someone like Franson, which means picks and/or prospects in return - and not likely of the high end variety either.

Perhaps... Though  wouldn't mind trying to trade a d-man + good forward for a better one.

Offline BlueWhiteBlood

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2011, 12:21:24 PM »

That certainly creates a spot. The only problem I see with something like that is that when we call up a replacement, that player might get picked up on waivers. It's conceivable that they would bring up a waiver exempt player, but then you run the risk of not playing that player as much as they need to be played to improve.
BWB

Offline Tigger

• All Star
  • You can play
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2011, 12:29:07 PM »

Agreed, my gut says Burke isn't looking to settle for that.
"My father was born shortly after the Wright Brothers" Charlie Duke

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2011, 12:32:13 PM »
That certainly creates a spot. The only problem I see with something like that is that when we call up a replacement, that player might get picked up on waivers. It's conceivable that they would bring up a waiver exempt player, but then you run the risk of not playing that player as much as they need to be played to improve.

But for a guy like Lashoff they'll have to expose him to waivers at some point if he's ever going to see the NHL again so they might as well do it now. I don't think there's a terrible risk he gets claimed.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Offline BlueWhiteBlood

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2011, 12:38:08 PM »
But for a guy like Lashoff they'll have to expose him to waivers at some point if he's ever going to see the NHL again so they might as well do it now. I don't think there's a terrible risk he gets claimed.

Maybe, but with a few teams looking right now after injuries, I think the risk goes up. To me, Burke has to do whats best for the Leafs, not Lashoff. I believe the risk was less when sending him down when every other team was making waiver moves, but now is a different story.

It could go the way you think, I'm just throwing it out there, that the Leafs may have to deal with bringing up a younger player that could see some time in the pressbox and not on the ice.

I agree with Tigger though, that Burke is probably looking for a bigger deal when he moves his depth.
BWB

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2011, 12:42:00 PM »
Maybe, but with a few teams looking right now after injuries, I think the risk goes up. To me, Burke has to do whats best for the Leafs, not Lashoff. I believe the risk was less when sending him down when every other team was making waiver moves, but now is a different story.

I'm not advocating they do anything for Lashoff's sake, I'm saying that regardless of when they call up Lashoff they'll need to expose him and the risk now isn't much greater than it would be at another time. If they can't bring up Lashoff because he'll get claimed then they're basically just stashing him in case of emergency in which case he's of such minor value to the team that losing him to waivers isn't a big deal anyway.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx