Author Topic: Tank Nation UNITE!!!  (Read 156747 times)

Offline Jolly good show chaps

• Rookie
  • Pip pip
    • View Profile
Re: Tank Nation UNITE!!!
« Reply #690 on: February 18, 2015, 11:18:20 AM »
Columbus and New Jersey both won last night. Starting to build a decent little cushion there for 5th. And just 4 points out of 4th right now, but Carolina has 2 games in hand. Friday's game against them is going to be big. I BELEAF!

We've got to lose - otherwise I can't see us finishing any lower than 5th.  Carolina were my big hope to overtake the Leafs since the Coyotes are just awful.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #690 on: February 18, 2015, 11:18:20 AM »

Offline sickbeast

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: February 18, 2015, 04:00:21 PM »
Friday night is a big game for the tank! Go hurricanes go! LOL

Offline Bill_Berg

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: February 19, 2015, 08:24:03 AM »
We're only 6 points back of the Oilers after they beat Boston.

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: February 19, 2015, 09:17:58 AM »

7, to be exact.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: February 19, 2015, 09:22:02 AM »

7, to be exact.

And it'll probably have to be 8 as the Leafs will likely hold the tie-breaker over Edmonton.

Offline Boston Leaf

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: February 19, 2015, 09:42:22 AM »
Lets gut this team now and play Marlies... top 3 pick would be so sweet... If we had 3rd pick and ya know it goes MacDavid/Eichel do Leafs go Hannifan or Strome? Not what fans want but what do you think they do?

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: February 19, 2015, 09:50:14 AM »
I can't overstate how badly they need to lose the next game. They could 2 pts out of 4th or 6 if they win..
"The Maple Leafs are like a ship with a hole in the bottom, leaking water, and my job is to get the ship pointed in the right direction." --Steve Jobs for Brendan Shanahan.

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: February 19, 2015, 10:00:11 AM »
I can't overstate how badly they need to lose the next game. They could 2 pts out of 4th or 6 if they win..

Actually I think you are overstating it. Realistically the Leafs are going to pick between 4-8 and the rebuild really isn't going to hinge on where they pick from that range. It's a good draft and there will be good players available regardless of where they pick. A proper rebuild is going to be a long haul regardless of who their draft pick is this year.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: February 19, 2015, 10:05:27 AM »
@reporterchris 

Kyle Dubas, speaking at Conn Smythe dinner, on #leafs: "We have to do things the right way. That may mean starting from the beginning."

Close as we've come to someone in management actually quoted on that.

Offline Rebel_1812

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: February 19, 2015, 10:16:37 AM »

Actually I think you are overstating it. Realistically the Leafs are going to pick between 4-8 and the rebuild really isn't going to hinge on where they pick from that range. It's a good draft and there will be good players available regardless of where they pick. A proper rebuild is going to be a long haul regardless of who their draft pick is this year.

That is a pessimistic attitude towards losing ;-)

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: February 19, 2015, 10:29:54 AM »

That is a pessimistic attitude towards losing ;-)

Yeah. Pessimism toward pessimism.
"The Maple Leafs are like a ship with a hole in the bottom, leaking water, and my job is to get the ship pointed in the right direction." --Steve Jobs for Brendan Shanahan.

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: February 19, 2015, 10:56:39 AM »

What do you mean by long haul?  5 years?  3 years?  I only ask because I think the Leafs are in a better position today than they were at the end of JFJ's term.  There are some nice pieces in the system whereas when JFJ was let go there wasn't much.  If they can get an elite talent this year and an elite talent next year, they may be knocking on the door of respectability in year 3. 
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gibran

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: February 19, 2015, 11:38:04 AM »
@reporterchris 

Kyle Dubas, speaking at Conn Smythe dinner, on #leafs: "We have to do things the right way. That may mean starting from the beginning."

Close as we've come to someone in management actually quoted on that.

I want to give Kyle a hug.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: February 19, 2015, 11:41:35 AM »
What do you mean by long haul?  5 years?  3 years?  I only ask because I think the Leafs are in a better position today than they were at the end of JFJ's term.  There are some nice pieces in the system whereas when JFJ was let go there wasn't much.  If they can get an elite talent this year and an elite talent next year, they may be knocking on the door of respectability in year 3.

The odds are very long that the Leafs draft a player who will be able to step in and be an "elite" player in their first few seasons this year. We shouldn't be gameplanning like that's a certainty. It's not impossible but realistically we should give the team at least three years to get their ducks in a row before we start having expectations for them.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: February 19, 2015, 12:11:32 PM »

The odds are very long that the Leafs draft a player who will be able to step in and be an "elite" player in their first few seasons this year. We shouldn't be gameplanning like that's a certainty. It's not impossible but realistically we should give the team at least three years to get their ducks in a row before we start having expectations for them.

This is true. Outside of winning the lottery, even if they end up with a Dylan Strome, his career path is likely similar to Ryan Johansen's, which means he's probably 5 years away on draft day from making an impact.  Can't fast track a rebuild.  We fans should know that better than anyone.
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gibran

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #704 on: February 19, 2015, 12:11:32 PM »