Author Topic: 2015 NHL Entry Draft  (Read 180471 times)

Offline Heroic Shrimp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 NHL Entry Draft
« Reply #405 on: April 10, 2015, 07:01:05 PM »
Marner's hurt and won't play in game 2 tonight, which sucks.

Domi's out, too.
Supersize my Freedom Fries

Offline L K

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: April 10, 2015, 07:06:01 PM »

Domi's out, too.

Hit to the head.  Kurtis MacDermid got suspended 8 games for the hit on Domi.  Mason Marchment is suspended indefinitely at this point for the injury to Marner.  Marchment pretty much crosschecked Marner in the face.

Hit on Domi: http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/video/index/id/37fbe6b9593527f56ac79f2f35d895e5
Hit on Marner: http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/video/index/id/671cf421150fcd829189d8dc24bf4691

Both are suffering concussion-like symptoms.  The Marner one drives me nuts as the ref watches the play and doesn't do anything.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 07:19:56 PM by L K »

Offline Lynx

• Prospect
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: April 10, 2015, 07:48:11 PM »

Domi's out, too.

That's gotta just about be the end of the series then.

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: April 10, 2015, 09:06:40 PM »
McDavid has 5 goals in game 2.

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: April 10, 2015, 09:18:22 PM »

The Leafs should select him if he's still available at 4.
"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.." --Isaac Asimov.

Offline LuncheonMeat

• Veteran
  • Reverse Tank!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: April 10, 2015, 10:29:51 PM »

Domi's out, too.

Hit to the head.  Kurtis MacDermid got suspended 8 games for the hit on Domi.  Mason Marchment is suspended indefinitely at this point for the injury to Marner.  Marchment pretty much crosschecked Marner in the face.

Hit on Domi: http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/video/index/id/37fbe6b9593527f56ac79f2f35d895e5
Hit on Marner: http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/video/index/id/671cf421150fcd829189d8dc24bf4691

Both are suffering concussion-like symptoms.  The Marner one drives me nuts as the ref watches the play and doesn't do anything.

Wow, those were both pretty brutal plays.  Has Mason been watching old videos of his dad playing?
“How many people from Ontario play in the National Hockey League? Once we make it safe, they’re coming home. Mark my words, they’ll be coming.”
~ Mike Bacock, in an open letter to Steven Stamkos Drew Doughty John Tavares

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: April 10, 2015, 11:14:05 PM »
I might argue that a 30 minute a night defenseman would be more valuable, but that's just me.  Not that I'm implying that Hanifin will necessarily be that kind of 30 minute a night Shea Weber type of force.

30 minute defencemen aren't a real thing, though. There are guys that can play that much sometimes, but no one plays that much on a regular basis - at least, not on a team that's successful in any way. A 1st line centre generally has more impact on the play when they're on the ice. They're going to have a greater influence on the team's offensive production and can have as significant an impact on the team's defence.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: April 10, 2015, 11:28:18 PM »
I might argue that a 30 minute a night defenseman would be more valuable, but that's just me.  Not that I'm implying that Hanifin will necessarily be that kind of 30 minute a night Shea Weber type of force.

30 minute defencemen aren't a real thing, though. There are guys that can play that much sometimes, but no one plays that much on a regular basis - at least, not on a team that's successful in any way. A 1st line centre generally has more impact on the play when they're on the ice. They're going to have a greater influence on the team's offensive production and can have as significant an impact on the team's defence.

Point noted but we're talking Hanifin vs somebody who is not McDavid or Eichel.  And a top defenseman will always be on the ice more than a top centerman.  So I'd lean Hanifin, though it's hardly a slamdunk.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: April 10, 2015, 11:44:18 PM »
Point noted but we're talking Hanifin vs somebody who is not McDavid or Eichel.  And a top defenseman will always be on the ice more than a top centerman.  So I'd lean Hanifin, though it's hardly a slamdunk.

Yeah, but, ice time does not necessary equal impact. I maintain a 1st line centre - even one of Strome's likely ceiling - will have more impact than someone with Hanifin's likely ceiling will. If Strome's off the board, then, yes, take Hanifin, but, if he's not, you take Strome. Ideally, you need both, but the 1st line centre is the more important piece and the one that is almost impossible to find outside of the top 5 picks of the draft. Top defencemen are fairly frequently picked in the 2nd round.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: April 11, 2015, 12:31:36 AM »

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: April 11, 2015, 12:36:27 AM »

Yeah, but, ice time does not necessary equal impact. I maintain a 1st line centre - even one of Strome's likely ceiling - will have more impact than someone with Hanifin's likely ceiling will. If Strome's off the board, then, yes, take Hanifin, but, if he's not, you take Strome. Ideally, you need both, but the 1st line centre is the more important piece and the one that is almost impossible to find outside of the top 5 picks of the draft. Top defencemen are fairly frequently picked in the 2nd round.

OK, but I think your obsession leads to an impression that scoring repression comes not through aggression or blueline compression or +/– transgression but instead a succession of puckish possession.  This may be digression but I must offer confession that all this has left me with manic depression.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: April 11, 2015, 10:23:08 AM »

OK, but I think your obsession leads to an impression that scoring repression comes not through aggression or blueline compression or +/– transgression but instead a succession of puckish possession.  This may be digression but I must offer confession that all this has left me with manic depression.

I appreciate your concession.

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: April 11, 2015, 10:59:20 AM »

I agree completely. While many here are saying its a long process, we shouldn t worry too much about drafting by position, you never know if we get a second chance at drafting a center in the top five again for this rebuild.
"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.." --Isaac Asimov.

Offline Al14

• Veteran
  • Leafs fan for life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: April 11, 2015, 11:42:54 PM »

There would have to be a HUGE 3 team brain fart for that to happen!

Offline Kessel Run

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: April 12, 2015, 12:15:26 AM »
Healey suggesting the Leafs may pick Crouse....ugghhhh