Author Topic: The Official TV Thread  (Read 201809 times)

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: The Official TV Thread
« Reply #1875 on: January 04, 2022, 08:54:04 AM »
WoT seemed like it didn’t have enough time to unfold some stories. Too rushed on plot and not enough character building (hence, mostly unlikeable). Only likeable characters might have been Lan and Egwene who have a range of emotion and motivation beyond surly and bland.
"Can't let the poison get to you"
#BeBlessed

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: January 04, 2022, 12:16:39 PM »
I'm a big fan of the books and am half way through the show. I've found it ok so far, they've definitely tried to make it more gritty than the source material. The biggest issue I've had though is that none of the characters seem very likable.

That's definitely an issue the show is going to have to deal with. All the main characters (outside of maybe Egwene) come across so gruff and unfriendly.
In the books Perrin is supposed to be like a friendly giant, Mat is like Merry and Pippin were at the beginning of LoTR and Rand is more of a friendly boy next door type. I don't know why they aged the characters up to 20, that didn't help at all.

I've only seen one episode with Thom and I'm hoping he's better than the others. He was one of the best characters in the books.

Sent from my Atom using Tapatalk

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #1876 on: January 04, 2022, 12:16:39 PM »

Offline LittleHockeyFan

• BearyBest Leaf Fan
  • Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • game ON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: January 18, 2022, 11:45:04 AM »
After Life.

OMG. Ricky Gervais is a genius. We saw the first two seasons at my son's behest (he loves RG) and it was just captivating. The final season dropped Friday and we watched straight through and then watched all 18 episodes again. It's absolutely wonderful-an honest look at grief and going through the stages.

And the dog of course. The dog just makes it for us.

Offline Guilt Trip

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: January 18, 2022, 05:55:41 PM »
After Life.

OMG. Ricky Gervais is a genius. We saw the first two seasons at my son's behest (he loves RG) and it was just captivating. The final season dropped Friday and we watched straight through and then watched all 18 episodes again. It's absolutely wonderful-an honest look at grief and going through the stages.

Gervais is a genius...I've never watched a show that made me laugh and cry so much in the same episode...Wait yes there was another series that did that ..Its called Derek and it was written by Gervais...it's also brilliant. Love his work.

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: January 18, 2022, 07:15:03 PM »
After Life.

Gervais is a genius...I've never watched a show that made me laugh and cry so much in the same episode...Wait yes there was another series that did that ..Its called Derek and it was written by Gervais...it's also brilliant. Love his work.
I loved the Office and Extras but Season 1 of Afterlife just fell flat with me for whatever reason. My gf loves Derek though!
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: January 18, 2022, 07:24:22 PM »
After Life.

I loved the Office and Extras but Season 1 of Afterlife just fell flat with me for whatever reason. My gf loves Derek though!

I found Afterlife to be much more similar to Gervais real persona. I really enjoyed the first two seasons!

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: January 23, 2022, 12:45:15 PM »
Afterlife is very good, I didn't like Gervais before but he won me over.  Ozark has just released season 4, watched the first two episodes and love the show. 
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

Offline Guilt Trip

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: January 23, 2022, 06:26:43 PM »
Afterlife is very good, I didn't like Gervais before but he won me over.  Ozark has just released season 4, watched the first two episodes and love the show. 
Check out his other series  Derek and his love stand up Humanity...very good.

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Jerk Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: January 31, 2022, 12:08:02 PM »

I've always kind of been mixed on Gervais. In some ways he reminds me a bit of Bill Hicks. A brilliant guy at times but bizarrely interested in choosing really bad targets for a lot of his ire. I did like the first season of Afterlife but wasn't really in the mood for the second and third seasons during the pandemic. Maybe when I need the meditations on death and grief more.

Also, the Righteous Gemstones is great and people should watch it.
I wish to hell I’d never said "Winning isn’t everything it’s the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you’ve won.
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: January 31, 2022, 01:49:19 PM »
Started binge watching Afterlife again after watching season 3.  The final episode of season three is a 4 hanky episode.

All Creatures Great and Small is is another great series, very sweet.  Its been playing on PBS and CBC.
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Jerk Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: February 09, 2022, 03:56:43 PM »

The Simpsons - Still On
South Park - Still On
Family Guy - Still On
American Dad - Still On
Futurama -

Nothing ever really dies, I guess.
I wish to hell I’d never said "Winning isn’t everything it’s the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you’ve won.
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Arn

• Veteran
  • Belfast Giant, Toronto Maple Leaf
    • View Profile
    • Kingdom of the Giants
« Reply #1886 on: February 10, 2022, 06:13:17 AM »
I always enjoyed Futurama the most out of all those. But maybe that was because it was finite.
I Saw Jay McClement Score.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: February 10, 2022, 09:05:22 AM »
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: February 10, 2022, 09:08:51 AM »
No John DiMaggio though :/

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: February 10, 2022, 10:12:17 AM »
No John DiMaggio though :/

Does seem like maybe they're in negotiations to bring him back, though.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 10:15:25 AM by bustaheims »
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan