Author Topic: The Official TV Thread  (Read 144792 times)

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
Re: The Official TV Thread
« Reply #1635 on: August 20, 2019, 10:02:48 AM »
The fragmented digital streaming environment is getting really annoying.

Agreed. Eventually we are going to have as many streaming services as we do cable channels. Thus, rendering the benefits of streaming null and void. We will just have streaming bundles instead of cable bundles.

Well, that's sort of the point. All the money people were saving by cutting cable and streaming was money that ended up not going to big media companies. They were always going to try to get that money back.

Yes, of course, we all knew they were going to get it back, and I'm happy to pay in some respects since there's more flexibility with what you choose to pay for, but I wonder if we're going to see more and more fragmentation and other companies breaking away from Netflix/Hulu/Crave to have in house options. It may get to the point of absurdity.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #1635 on: August 20, 2019, 10:02:48 AM »

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: August 20, 2019, 04:27:43 PM »
Yes, of course, we all knew they were going to get it back, and I'm happy to pay in some respects since there's more flexibility with what you choose to pay for, but I wonder if we're going to see more and more fragmentation and other companies breaking away from Netflix/Hulu/Crave to have in house options. It may get to the point of absurdity.

We probably will(NBC is going to have their own for sure) but like we discussed a while back it's probably not sustainable for all of these companies to exist in the long run. Netflix's whole business model right now is about continuous growth and there's evidence that they're running out of people to sign up.

We're probably going to see a rapid expansion as these big companies jockey to be one of the handful of ones that survive.

Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Offline LuncheonMeat

• Veteran
  • Reverse Tank!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: September 22, 2019, 02:18:17 AM »
Short of buying discs (the only option I can find at this point), does anyone know where I can stream SCTV. I'm trying to convince my American wife about what a great show this was growing up. She's actually taken me to a number of live Kids in the Hall shows here in Seattle, but she has never seen an episode of SCTV.

Thanks!
“How many people from Ontario play in the National Hockey League? Once we make it safe, they’re coming home. Mark my words, they’ll be coming.”
~ Mike Bacock, in an open letter to Steven Stamkos Drew Doughty John Tavares

Online Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: September 22, 2019, 08:23:51 AM »
Short of buying discs (the only option I can find at this point), does anyone know where I can stream SCTV. I'm trying to convince my American wife about what a great show this was growing up. She's actually taken me to a number of live Kids in the Hall shows here in Seattle, but she has never seen an episode of SCTV.

Thanks!

I don't think there are any "legal" streaming sites for SCTV. You can always see short clips on YouTube but other than that discs are your option

Offline LuncheonMeat

• Veteran
  • Reverse Tank!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: September 22, 2019, 05:46:08 PM »

Thanks!

I don't think there are any "legal" streaming sites for SCTV. You can always see short clips on YouTube but other than that discs are your option

Thanks, Zee. It's a shame, but that's kind of what I figured.
“How many people from Ontario play in the National Hockey League? Once we make it safe, they’re coming home. Mark my words, they’ll be coming.”
~ Mike Bacock, in an open letter to Steven Stamkos Drew Doughty John Tavares

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: September 22, 2019, 11:54:08 PM »
Emmy night in l.A. as “Game of Thrones” won for Outstanding Series, beating out seven other nominees.

Phoebe Waller-Bridge won two awards for her role in “Fleabag”, which was also named Outstanding Comedy Series, a BBC/Amazon production.

The comedy-drama “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”, a Prime (Amazon) production set in the late ‘50’s picked up two.

The Canadian comedy production “Schitt’s Creek” was nominated, as was Eugene Levy. 
Sandra Oh was nominated but lost out to her co-star in the Oustsnding Lead Actress category for the series “Killing Eve”.

The list is endless.

View it here:
https://www.cnet.com/news/emmys-2019-live-updates-and-all-the-winners-reactions-bill-hader-phoebe-waller-bridge-game-of-thrones-fleabag-chernobyl/

« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 11:56:12 PM by hockeyfan1 »

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: November 16, 2019, 10:01:28 PM »
The Mandalorian has been pretty fun and cute so far.

Offline Arn

• Veteran
  • Belfast Giant, Toronto Maple Leaf
    • View Profile
    • Kingdom of the Giants
« Reply #1642 on: November 18, 2019, 05:15:58 AM »

It's such a shame we have to wait til March next year to watch it in the UK*

*legally
I Saw Jay McClement Score.

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: November 18, 2019, 07:29:05 AM »
I've started watching two shows on Apple TV+(came free for a year with the new phone).

The Morning Show - 8/10 so far. Pretty good show with a great cast. First seasons appears to be exclusively dealing with the Me Too movement.

See - 7/10. I've only watched one episode. It's a pretty cool concept. 200 years in the future, after a disease wiped out all but 2 million people, the remaining humans attempt to survive. The catch is, all remaining humans were left blind. I give it a 7 instead of higher as I'm not sure if the blind part will grow tiresome, or if it'll be difficult to believe after a while.

Offline L K

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: November 18, 2019, 09:02:12 AM »

I don't think I have seen merchandise out on shelves yet, but that cute thing is going to make them a lot of money.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: November 18, 2019, 10:39:53 AM »

I don't think I have seen merchandise out on shelves yet, but that cute thing is going to make them a lot of money.

I do have one gripe and it's fairly esoteric, and it's the same gripe I have with Infinity War: Disney doesn't know or care about the difference between forging and casting.

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: November 18, 2019, 11:09:39 AM »

I've also liked the first two episodes. It's fairly lightweight and at times I think it's plagued by the same stuff that have made the recent Star Wars movies sort of hit or miss but it's fine.

I'm not really sure what to make of the Disney service yet. I'd thought it was going to be Disney and Fox's library but it seems like it's just going to be Disney and whatever Fox has that's family friendly. Unless they put a ton of original Marvel and Star Wars stuff on it and soon, I don't think I'm going to be keeping it.
-Karl Marx

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: November 18, 2019, 11:56:51 AM »
The Marvel slate of new shows is kicking up soon (2020). There are a lot of them. Some of the movies (eg Infinity War) still have to run their course on Netflix but they’ll move over then.

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: November 18, 2019, 12:06:01 PM »
The Marvel slate of new shows is kicking up soon (2020). There are a lot of them. Some of the movies (eg Infinity War) still have to run their course on Netflix but they’ll move over then.

Unless my information is out of date, the only Marvel original series planned for 2020 is the Falcon/Winter Soldier one and that's slated for "Fall 2020". So we're still probably a year or so out from that.

Having all of the Marvel Movies in one place is neat but I've also seen all of them and I don't rewatch them a lot.
-Karl Marx

Offline L K

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: November 18, 2019, 12:16:48 PM »

I've also liked the first two episodes. It's fairly lightweight and at times I think it's plagued by the same stuff that have made the recent Star Wars movies sort of hit or miss but it's fine.

I'm not really sure what to make of the Disney service yet. I'd thought it was going to be Disney and Fox's library but it seems like it's just going to be Disney and whatever Fox has that's family friendly. Unless they put a ton of original Marvel and Star Wars stuff on it and soon, I don't think I'm going to be keeping it.

I wonder how much of that is an HBO/Crave problem with streaming in Canada.   A lot of Fox movies are on Crave and I don’t know how that is affecting licensure.   My understanding was that Disney+ was going to be a lot of the kid friendly stuff while Hulu would get more of the adult themed stuff.   We don’t have Hulu in Canada so that has a limitation here at least but I think Crave has some of that stuff on licence for streaming.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #1649 on: November 18, 2019, 12:16:48 PM »