Author Topic: Players for Monument outside ACC...  (Read 10896 times)

Offline AvroArrow

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Players for Monument outside ACC...
« Reply #90 on: September 08, 2014, 07:09:04 PM »
Because I think you're only looking at this at a micro level instead of at a macro level.

I'm looking at this from the perspective of a fan that 1) doesn't live in TO and will probably never even see it in person and 2) someone who isn't old enough to have watched at least several of the players in it.  For me and others of a similar perspective, this monument holds little to no value.

History has no interest to you? Has no value?

Not really, no.  At least, not for hockey - war memorials are different.

Offline Leafs71

• Veteran
  • I broke your television!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 08, 2014, 09:16:12 PM »
Longer even. When I was in grad school I'd get off the Subway at College Station and the paintings on the wall there and even the old facade of the Gardens resonated with me and my memories of games there.

Same here. The paintings at Carleton bring back memories of watching games at MLG with family. My pickup group rents the  ice once a year (or what's left of it), but I don't get more nostalgic than when I'm at the subway stop.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #91 on: September 08, 2014, 09:16:12 PM »

Offline freer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 09, 2014, 08:48:01 AM »
Because I think you're only looking at this at a micro level instead of at a macro level.

I'm looking at this from the perspective of a fan that 1) doesn't live in TO and will probably never even see it in person and 2) someone who isn't old enough to have watched at least several of the players in it.  For me and others of a similar perspective, this monument holds little to no value.

History has no interest to you? Has no value?

Not really, no.  At least, not for hockey - war memorials are different.

That your opinion, unlike the majority of folks here. IMO it is nice to see players from the past be honored this way. IMO again this is the teams way of giving the players who built the teams fans base their ever lasting glory. BTW as serving member of the forces, I am glad that you appreciate war memorials and the vets who gave their lives so we can have this debate online!

Offline Peter D.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 09, 2014, 10:25:24 AM »
Absolutely - I was thinking of that as I typed it... the only day it would work is Saturday - and what incentive would there be to alter anything about the most in demand game of the week...

I knew my comments were unrealistic, but I just threw it out there.

Actually, I think a Junior Jays type idea isn't that far fetched.  Not in the sense of lowered ticket prices, but in creating a bigger buzz in/around/outside the ACC prior to the game.  Right now all there seems to be is a Fan Zone leading up to the arena from Union Station.

I think there is a lot of potential there to be more kid friendly, and generally fan friendly, prior to a Saturday game. 

Online Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 09, 2014, 01:19:49 PM »
Avro you are poor in spirit and competely self centred. Time to grow up.
Sorry but I was around in the 60's to see these great players and what the frikk are  you going on about. This has nothing to do with Ticket prices, paying the Pylon 7 Million a year does.
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

Offline Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 09, 2014, 01:53:44 PM »
This has nothing to do with Ticket prices, paying the Pylon 7 Million a year does.

No it doesn't.

Online Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 09, 2014, 03:12:27 PM »
I was just kidding, hell we need some hockey as everyone here is getting very uptight. Bring on the rookie tourny for christsakes.
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

Offline Leafs71

• Veteran
  • I broke your television!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 09, 2014, 07:12:34 PM »
I was just kidding, hell we need some hockey as everyone here is getting very uptight.

The only person getting uptight and making personal attacks is you.

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 09, 2014, 07:54:51 PM »
I think there is a lot of potential there to be more kid friendly, and generally fan friendly, prior to a Saturday game.

Maybe, but I don't get the sense that the issue the Leafs are really facing these days is that the people actually going to games aren't having a good enough time, young or old. I think the problem they're facing is one that's sort of beyond their control which is just that more people want to go to games than there are tickets. I really don't even think it's an issue of cost because I can say personally that if I could buy face-value tickets a week or so before a game I'd probably go to a half-dozen games a year.

Right now, to a large number of fans, the Leafs are just a TV show and short of actually improving the team I don't know there's a lot they can do to actually engage the fans they're leaving behind.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Offline AvroArrow

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 09, 2014, 09:52:30 PM »
Avro you are poor in spirit and competely self centred

I'm poor in spirit and self centered because I don't think a monument of previous leaf greats contains any value for me?   ::)

No, I'm neither of those things.  And just because you think so, doesn't make it so, despite what you may think.

Time to grow up.

::)

Sorry but I was around in the 60's to see these great players

What's your point?  You're being old and seeing these players doesn't change the fact that I didn't and have a different opinion on the monument than you and others.

and what the frikk are  you going on about. This has nothing to do with Ticket prices, paying the Pylon 7 Million a year does.

At this point, it doesn't surprise me that you can't understand what I've already posted several times.

Good lord.  If you get this upset about someone having a different opinion than you, then I really don't know how you survive the internet.

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 09, 2014, 11:27:07 PM »

I think that if you had said "I don't care for this idea as I don't like statues" or whatever then nobody would have given two figs about your opinion. The problem was that you took your opinion and used it as the basis for a statement that really isn't a matter of opinion, calling the statues "stupid" and "a waste of money". But you haven't made an empirical argument as to why that is despite the fact that you're the only person in this thread who seems to not like the idea. MLSE is spending money on something that a lot of fans like. That's their purpose. That's the result they're aiming for. Whether it's to cynically distract fans from their record or out of the goodness of their hearts as a celebration of the team's history, it seems like they've hit their mark.

If MLSE had bought a pizza for 100 fans and 99 had happily grabbed a slice and one guy in the corner loudly complained about how he didn't like pizza nobody would be disputing the validity of his opinion. If he said that they'd wasted their money on the pizza because he doesn't like pizza, well, that would sort of be the definition of being self-centered. MLSE didn't make this decision with the intent of pleasing you specifically and, as a result, their failure to do so does not reflect on the utility of the money they spent.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Offline AvroArrow

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 10, 2014, 07:46:07 AM »

I think that if you had said "I don't care for this idea as I don't like statues" or whatever then nobody would have given two figs about your opinion. The problem was that you took your opinion and used it as the basis for a statement that really isn't a matter of opinion, calling the statues "stupid" and "a waste of money". But you haven't made an empirical argument as to why that is despite the fact that you're the only person in this thread who seems to not like the idea. MLSE is spending money on something that a lot of fans like. That's their purpose. That's the result they're aiming for. Whether it's to cynically distract fans from their record or out of the goodness of their hearts as a celebration of the team's history, it seems like they've hit their mark.

If MLSE had bought a pizza for 100 fans and 99 had happily grabbed a slice and one guy in the corner loudly complained about how he didn't like pizza nobody would be disputing the validity of his opinion. If he said that they'd wasted their money on the pizza because he doesn't like pizza, well, that would sort of be the definition of being self-centered. MLSE didn't make this decision with the intent of pleasing you specifically and, as a result, their failure to do so does not reflect on the utility of the money they spent.

This just seems like a stupid waste of money that's better spent reducing the cost of tickets, or improving scouting, or whatever else.

If you can't comprehend that this indicates it's my opinion, then you need to go back to school.  Get over it and stop crying about it.

Online Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 10, 2014, 07:47:05 AM »
I don't like personal attacks and excuse me if it seemed I was making one. Nik has hit the nail on the head much more elequently than me.
Avro, you are not the centre of the universe, only the centre of your own universe
In your rant about this it really seems you are judging everyones elses enjoyment for everyone and future enjoyment of this monument.  Just because you will never see the monument, doesnt mean it doesnt have validity.

Sunryn Suzuki

Online Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 10, 2014, 07:49:24 AM »
the reason everyone here is challenging you, is your opinion is realy not stated as an opinion.
Your first post about this was an edict or dogma based upon what you want or think, express your opinion but don't lay down edicts.
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 10, 2014, 07:52:10 AM »
Alright, I think this particular conversation has gone on long enough. Particularly since some are having problems going a full post without resorting to insults.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 07:58:11 AM by CarltonTheBear »