Author Topic: Leafs @ Rangers - Mar. 5, 7:30pm - TSN, TSN 1050  (Read 17508 times)

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
Re: Leafs @ Rangers - Mar. 5, 7:30pm - TSN, TSN 1050
« Reply #270 on: March 05, 2014, 11:19:26 PM »
Phaneuf and Frantzen together on any PP is a friggen joke... no?

Frantzen?

Clearly, he comes from the John Travolta school of name-getting-rightness.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 05, 2014, 11:23:44 PM »

Frantzen?

Terrible on the PP, hell of an author.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #271 on: March 05, 2014, 11:23:44 PM »

Offline Heroic Shrimp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 05, 2014, 11:28:31 PM »

Frantzen?

I'm more a fan of the works of Nigel Cadbury, but to each his own.
Supersize my Freedom Fries

Offline Rebel_1812

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 05, 2014, 11:46:41 PM »
St Louis just admited that the olympic snub was part of the reason he wanted out of tampa bay.  I lost alot of respect for this guy. 

Offline Tigger

• All Star
  • You can play
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 06, 2014, 12:40:09 AM »

Frantzen?

I'm more a fan of the works of Nigel Cadbury, but to each his own.

I remember my first soiree with Jazz'em, quite the gentleman and scholar, though the Kadri-berries were a little off wing...
"My father was born shortly after the Wright Brothers" Charlie Duke

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 06, 2014, 12:51:31 AM »
St Louis just admited that the olympic snub was part of the reason he wanted out of tampa bay.  I lost alot of respect for this guy. 

Call it the "chip on his shoulder", so to speak.  Quite possibly, he made that his raison d'ętre for wanting out.  If he hadn't been snubbed, would it have made it any easier for him  to leave Tampa?

St.Louis:
I always felt if I was going to leave Tampa, the first place I'd want to play would be in New York," St. Louis said. "It's been in the back of my mind for a long time, but I wouldn't trade those 14 years in Tampa for anything."

Source:  TSN
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 12:54:45 AM by hockeyfan1 »

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 06, 2014, 08:17:54 AM »
It's really hard to understand how this group still holds a playoff position.

Success in the shootout. That's really all that separates them from the teams behind them.

That , and just collecting points when they need to. Even when they look bad and everyone has thrown in the towel, they pull out a point or two and carry on. They've got 4 out of a possible 8 since play returned after the Olympics. Not great, but still .500 hockey. Not sure how anyone can call that terrible.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 08:22:08 AM by RedLeaf »
"The Maple Leafs are like a ship with a hole in the bottom, leaking water, and my job is to get the ship pointed in the right direction." --Steve Jobs for Brendan Shanahan.

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 06, 2014, 09:06:51 AM »

Success in the shootout. That's really all that separates them from the teams behind them.

That , and just collecting points when they need to. Even when they look bad and everyone has thrown in the towel, they pull out a point or two and carry on. They've got 4 out of a possible 8 since play returned after the Olympics. Not great, but still .500 hockey. Not sure how anyone can call that terrible.

It's pretty bad to get consistently outplayed, give up the most 3rd period leads in the league, give up the most shots in the league, have the 3rd worst PK, give up the 5th most GA/game, and be a negative in GF/GA despite having one goalie in the top 10 in SV% and both in the top 26 in SV%.

Sure there are positives (first line, PP) - but they have 4 less ROW's than any other EC team in a playoff spot. 

There are no shootouts in the playoffs, which is why it is alarming to a lot of people that they are in a playoff position on the back of having a high number of shootout wins.  It is also alarming that they've spent to the cap, received some of the best goaltending in the league, and are still on the bubble to be in the playoffs and only are in the playoffs right now because they've had shootout success.

I really don't see how you can be satisfied with the product the Leafs are putting on the ice as a whole right now.

Jalili

« Reply #278 on: March 06, 2014, 09:25:29 AM »
Going into last night the Leafs were actually 25th in Regulation/Overtime Wins (ROW's).

Pretty crazy actually.

Offline freer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 06, 2014, 09:27:36 AM »

It's pretty bad to get consistently outplayed, give up the most 3rd period leads in the league, give up the most shots in the league, have the 3rd worst PK, give up the 5th most GA/game, and be a negative in GF/GA despite having one goalie in the top 10 in SV% and both in the top 26 in SV%.

Sure there are positives (first line, PP) - but they have 4 less ROW's than any other EC team in a playoff spot. 

There are no shootouts in the playoffs, which is why it is alarming to a lot of people that they are in a playoff position on the back of having a high number of shootout wins.  It is also alarming that they've spent to the cap, received some of the best goaltending in the league, and are still on the bubble to be in the playoffs and only are in the playoffs right now because they've had shootout success.

I really don't see how you can be satisfied with the product the Leafs are putting on the ice as a whole right now.

We dont have to satisfied with their play. But we all remember 7 years without playoff hockey. I am happy that they are in the running for a playoff spot because that is anyone game in the east. There are no super unbeatable teams

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: March 06, 2014, 09:29:49 AM »

We dont have to satisfied with their play. But we all remember 7 years without playoff hockey. I am happy that they are in the running for a playoff spot because that is anyone game in the east. There are no super unbeatable teams

I'm happy they have the chance to make the playoffs too.

Offline Kessel Run

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 06, 2014, 09:50:25 AM »

Yeah, what a baby.

Offline mc

• Veteran
  • get the shovels
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 06, 2014, 09:55:09 AM »

Yeah, what a baby.

What a tool.

Offline hap_leaf

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 06, 2014, 10:03:01 AM »

Nobody can explain this team and I have given up trying to figure it out and just enjoy the product on the ice.  Whatever the recipe is that made this team, no matter how non-standard their play, no matter how perplexing it is to label them...at the end of the day they have enough ways to beat their opponent. 
They are 10 games above .500 and 3rd in their division.  Being outshot most nights in their last 100 games.  Still they get it done.  It is beyond imaginable that they can sustain that, but they do.  Flying in the face of all logic. 

Offline Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 06, 2014, 10:07:42 AM »
There are no shootouts in the playoffs, which is why it is alarming to a lot of people that they are in a playoff position on the back of having a high number of shootout wins.

There are no shootouts in the playoffs, there is also more than 5 minutes of OT in the playoffs so we don't really know how those games would have gone if they played continuous OT. The Leafs are 3-4 in games that have been decided in OT.

Because they now have the talent to win despite these problems, weather in regulation/OT or in the shootout. I prefer this to the days where they would "outplay" the opposition and lose because the goaltenders weren't good enough or they didn't have talented players to score goals.

I found those games much more frustrating to watch because I wasn't able to see the path to improvement. I think its an easier task for a GM to find ways to address the areas that currently need improvement rather than trying to find top end talent and solid starting goaltending.