Author Topic: The Official Complaint Thread!  (Read 149944 times)

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Complaint Thread!
« Reply #930 on: June 11, 2012, 05:18:36 PM »
Potvin and Nik, did you ever hear anyone use 'ranga' in relation to red heads while you were down under?

Yeah, again, same context more or less.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #930 on: June 11, 2012, 05:18:36 PM »

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: June 11, 2012, 05:19:23 PM »
Well, my Dad's side of the family is Jewish and I don't take offense to "Jew" either. "Ginger" on the other hand upsets me.

Honestly, I find that strange. One of those words has a history of being used as an offensive racially motivated hate word and still is used in that fashion by many (which I do take offence to - it's all about context), and the other is ginger.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Tigger

• All Star
  • You can play
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: June 11, 2012, 05:23:46 PM »

When you compare it to the 'N' word, yeah, it's embarrassing.

Well it might not sit right with some here but I'm not embarrassed at all.

I suppose it doesn't matter that Peter Baker built a career around his moniker?
"My father was born shortly after the Wright Brothers" Charlie Duke

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: June 11, 2012, 05:25:01 PM »
Well, my Dad's side of the family is Jewish and I don't take offense to "Jew" either. "Ginger" on the other hand upsets me.

Honestly, I find that strange. One of those words has a history of being used as an offensive racially motivated hate word and still is used in that fashion by many (which I do take offence to - it's all about context), and the other is ginger.

It's not all that strange. I know many Jews including most of my Dad's family refer to themselves as "Jews." When non-Jews say "Jew" I don't take exception when it's said without malice. When a non-Jew says something like "bagel" well, then that's a different story. In my mind, "ginger" rougly equals "bagel." 

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: June 11, 2012, 05:25:39 PM »

Well, yeah. "Jew" is a word that doesn't really have any inherently negative connotations. I don't know anyone in my vast and extended family who wouldn't refer to us as Jews. It's not just a word to refer to us but it's the most common.

So, yeah, it's absent the baggage but I think that is a good comparison. Ginger is a word that's entirely about context.
-Karl Marx

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: June 11, 2012, 05:29:11 PM »
It's not all that strange. I know many Jews including most of my Dad's family refer to themselves as "Jews." When non-Jews say "Jew" I don't take exception when it's said without malice. When a non-Jew says something like "bagel" well, then that's a different story. In my mind, "ginger" rougly equals "bagel."

Honestly, if someone called me a bagel, I'd be more offended by their stupidity than by their attempt to insult me.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Tigger

• All Star
  • You can play
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: June 11, 2012, 05:33:42 PM »
I have a buddy who's former girlfriend's a red head. Years back a bunch of us were at a house party, playing darts and switching off jamming and I could see him and her sort of arguing. I asked him about it and he said she was mad because he called her Dr. Zaius, but he only called her that because of something she'd done/said yadda yadda.

I started humming 'rock me Amadeus' and everything went sideways after that, we had the whole room singing 'Dr. Zaius' to the tune of 'rock me Amadeus' much to her chagrin at the time, though she even came to laugh about it later.

Come on and rock me Dr. Zaius!

I'm not saying we were right or anything but as anecdotes go, she had a lot more to be mad about than what I'm reading here.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 08:30:41 PM by Tigger »

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: June 11, 2012, 05:34:18 PM »

Honestly, if someone called me a bagel, I'd be more offended by their stupidity than by their attempt to insult me.

Well, when people use "ginger" I'm insulted by the word AND their stupidity.

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: June 11, 2012, 05:34:53 PM »

Seriously. If someone called me a bagel I'm not entirely sure I'd even understand what they were getting across. I associate bagels more with New York than I do with Judaism.
-Karl Marx

Offline Tigger

• All Star
  • You can play
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: June 11, 2012, 05:41:35 PM »

In general? That seems kind of closed minded to me, I mean sure get offended if they're saying you're a ginger and have no soul but if they're using it to describe hair colour, I don't see a thing wrong with it.

Offline LittleHockeyFan

• BearyBest Leaf Fan
  • Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • game ON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: June 11, 2012, 05:43:04 PM »

two of my son's best friends (one male, one female) are both ginger/red heads. They have absolutely no problem with being called either redheads or gingers. (I just asked the guy) I suppose it's a personal perception really. He says he was never bullied because of his hair colour as a young kid, more because he was kinda chubby as a youngster. Carrot Top is the one name they didn't like being called, but neither one of them has the carroty-red hair that one associates with that name, they're more auburn.

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: June 11, 2012, 05:48:25 PM »

two of my son's best friends (one male, one female) are both ginger/red heads. They have absolutely no problem with being called either redheads or gingers. (I just asked the guy) I suppose it's a personal perception really. He says he was never bullied because of his hair colour as a young kid, more because he was kinda chubby as a youngster. Carrot Top is the one name they didn't like being called, but neither one of them has the carroty-red hair that one associates with that name, they're more auburn.

But look at the tweet I took exception to;

Men's Humor ‏@MensHumor
If Monday was a person, it'd be a Ginger.

Go ahead and ask those kids how they'd feel if they were associated with the least favorite day of the week.

What if it read;

"If Monday was a religion, it would be a Jew?"

Not so nice, is it?   

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: June 11, 2012, 05:50:53 PM »
What if it read;

"If Monday was a religion, it would be a Jew?"

Not so nice, is it?

Grammatically? No, it's atrocious. A Jew is a person, not a religion.
-Karl Marx

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: June 11, 2012, 05:52:28 PM »
But look at the tweet I took exception to;

Men's Humor ‏@MensHumor
If Monday was a person, it'd be a Ginger.

Go ahead and ask those kids how they'd feel if they were associated with the least favorite day of the week.

Well, sure, in that context, it's offensive. But, at the same time, you could replace ginger there with practically anything and it would be offensive. Also, it would still not be funny.

Online Bullfrog

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: June 11, 2012, 07:23:49 PM »

I normally enjoy debating with you Sarge, but this wading into ridiculous territory now. Can't you a least acknowledge that your point of view is on the extreme and seemingly not representative of the majority of people, including redheads most likely (just based on anecdotal knowledge; i.e. asking every redhead I saw today this very question, which admittedly was only two.) And because your point of view is on the extreme end that perhaps it's you being ignorant by calling every one who uses the word ginger stupid?

I respect your right to have a unique opinion, but calling us stupid is rude as all hell.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #944 on: June 11, 2012, 07:23:49 PM »