Author Topic: The Official Complaint Thread!  (Read 149941 times)

Offline Derk

• Veteran
  • Robble
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Temporary Complaint Thread!
« Reply #135 on: July 20, 2011, 12:38:52 PM »
Regarding the prison sentencing above - double standard much? Sure there could be more to both stories, but still, that is just ridiculous.

My main problem with the world today is the people. :P

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #135 on: July 20, 2011, 12:38:52 PM »

Online Damian

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 20, 2011, 12:42:29 PM »
Regarding the prison sentencing above - double standard much? Sure there could be more to both stories, but still, that is just ridiculous.

Cant live with em, cant kill em all

Offline Derk

• Veteran
  • Robble
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 20, 2011, 12:44:18 PM »

Meh, not my job. :D

I'll leave that to the next asteroid or supervolcano.

Online Damian

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 20, 2011, 12:48:30 PM »

Crazy Mayans

Offline Tigger

• All Star
  • You can play
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 20, 2011, 02:49:41 PM »

Crazy Mayans

I bet they never had anything nice...
"My father was born shortly after the Wright Brothers" Charlie Duke

Offline J-Ho Fan

• Prospect
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 03, 2011, 11:49:54 PM »
Interviews first thing in the morning.

I feel like I will never fall asleep. I'd rather have an interview at like 3pm!

Offline Leafaholic99

• Veteran
  • Optimus Reim
    • View Profile
    • Wuskwatim
« Reply #141 on: August 11, 2011, 11:49:53 PM »
Getting bored being off work, but the Dr doesn't want me going unless my neck is better.

They took X-rays this past Monday and said they wouldn't call if everything looked good, well they called yesterday asking I come in next week. Get the results of my X-Rays on Wednesday.

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile

Online Damian

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 12, 2011, 09:23:54 AM »
Some vindication I suppose: http://www.thestar.com/news/torontog20summit/article/1038347--aggression-during-g20-rally-perpetrated-by-police-judge-rules?bn=1

While thats true, the whole issue of accountability is in the air... he's just one of hundreds.... and still, nobody in authority is paying a price.... some democracy

Offline TML fan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 12, 2011, 01:33:45 PM »
All of this happened after the looting, vandalism and destruction of property took place. If the police hadn't acted when they did, the way they did....well, you've all seen what's happening in England. Like it or not, Toronto had one of the tamest G20 riots in the history of the event BECAUSE of what the Police did.

It's funny, listening to bystanders' comments about the riots in England, many of them are saying "Where are the Police? Why aren't they doing anything?"

It's a lose-lose situation for Police. If they act, they get blamed. If they don't act, they get blamed. They are society's Robert Reichel.

In light of recent events in other democratic nations, I'm all for a few civil rights being violated for the sake of maintaining order. I've always believed that the rights and freedoms we've been granted, that people fought and died for, come with the responsibility to act with civility and within the law. When the first bottle was thrown, the first pane of glass was broken, and the first police car was lit on fire, anyone and everyone involved in those protests lost the right to demonstrate as it was proven at that moment that it could not be done peacefully. 

At the end of the day, if this article is any indication, everyone who was wronged will have their day in court and justice will be served.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 01:35:30 PM by TML fan »

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 12, 2011, 07:50:58 PM »
In light of recent events in other democratic nations, I'm all for a few civil rights being violated for the sake of maintaining order. I've always believed that the rights and freedoms we've been granted, that people fought and died for, come with the responsibility to act with civility and within the law. When the first bottle was thrown, the first pane of glass was broken, and the first police car was lit on fire, anyone and everyone involved in those protests lost the right to demonstrate as it was proven at that moment that it could not be done peacefully. 

I'm sorry, but that's just ridiculous.  Denying everyone the right to peaceful protest because of the actions of the vast minority?

I don't expect the police to work magic.  I expect, if our elected leaders are going to stage an event like this in a city like Toronto, they are going to adequately protect the public.  If it is not feasible to do without wide-ranging infringements of civil liberties, then don't do it.

Otherwise, you deal with the lingering consequences.

I don't see how this has any comparison to random, wanton violence in the UK stemming from a police shooting.

Offline TML fan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 13, 2011, 02:19:31 AM »

I'm sorry, but that's just ridiculous.  Denying everyone the right to peaceful protest because of the actions of the vast minority?

I don't expect the police to work magic.  I expect, if our elected leaders are going to stage an event like this in a city like Toronto, they are going to adequately protect the public.  If it is not feasible to do without wide-ranging infringements of civil liberties, then don't do it.

Otherwise, you deal with the lingering consequences.

I don't see how this has any comparison to random, wanton violence in the UK stemming from a police shooting.

I'm sure you've heard of the "few bad apples" expression. I'm not a terrorist, but I still have to go through the security process at the airport. How do you separate the wheat from the chaff in that situation? You can't just go roaming through the crowd asking people if they're the ones lighting cars on fire.

The violence must be stopped before it spreads. Unfortunately, that means clamping down on civil liberties. If you're part of the mob and you're not stopping the violence, you're just as guilty as those perpetrating it. As far as I know, there is no provision in the Charter for "mostly peaceful protests"

The comparison to the UK is that the Police should have come down harder on those protests. Toronto could have been a lot worse than it was, and probably would have been had the Police not done what they did. Those who have been tread on will have their day in court.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 02:25:02 AM by TML fan »

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 13, 2011, 06:38:46 AM »
The comparison to the UK is that the Police should have come down harder on those protests. Toronto could have been a lot worse than it was, and probably would have been had the Police not done what they did. Those who have been tread on will have their day in court.

From what I've seen and read, the protestors destroying stuff in Toronto, the 'black bloc' stuff, was witnessed by the police from a distance, who did nothing to intervene to stop the destruction.  It was only after they dispersed back into the crowd that the police began going after people.

The destruction went on without police stopping them for around 1.5 hours (this is all from various different websites, who knows what is verifiable and what is not, but there is a good documentary on it all).

It probably would have been a lot less if the police had stopped that from happening, rather than the tactics they used on peaceful protestors.

No there is no "mostly peaceful protest" provision, there is simply:

8. Everyone has the right to be secure against unreasonable search or seizure.
9. Everyone has the right not to be arbitrarily detained or imprisoned.
10. Everyone has the right on arrest or detention

(a) to be informed promptly of the reasons therefor;
    (b) to retain and instruct counsel without delay and to be informed of that right; and
    (c) to have the validity of the detention determined by way of habeas corpus and to be released if the detention is not lawful.

12. Everyone has the right not to be subjected to any cruel and unusual treatment or punishment.

This is a nice/scary report on it: http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/2010-2011/youshouldhavestayedathome/

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 13, 2011, 10:55:34 AM »
Honestly, I have a hard time actually calling the majority of people who were at the G20 mess protestors - they weren't out there rallying for any identifiable cause. Most of the people out there were there just to be there. They were the type of people who feel events like the G20 go hand in hand with protest marches and such, but don't fight for any particular cause, aren't looking to raise any particular issue, etc. Truthfully, the crowd at the G20 was less of a protest and more of a mob scene.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 13, 2011, 11:39:58 AM »
Agreed.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #149 on: August 13, 2011, 11:39:58 AM »