Author Topic: Kids - A thread for bragging, venting and, advice.  (Read 39634 times)

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: Kids - A thread for bragging, venting and, advice.
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2011, 08:55:36 AM »
...It's going to be difficult for us to handle two children of the same age who have two entirely different expectations cast on them.

Especially if they're as competitive as we were.  :D

They sure are. One went ballistic last night when she found out the other got a handful of my wife's McDonald's french fries before bed when the other was already upstairs. Everything, I mean E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G has to even or BOOM! - Drives me mad.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2011, 08:55:36 AM »

Offline Bullfrog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2011, 12:31:19 PM »
We would place our glasses next to each other to make sure that we each had the same amount of KoolAid. When we got a bit older and we actually started to get different christmas presents we'd make sure that we still got the same number of gifts. When we got a little older than that, we'd make sure the dollar value of the gifts was even.  :D

Offline Bullfrog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2011, 12:32:57 PM »
So I've got a boy who turns 2 on the 22nd. He's still not talking. Won't say daddy or mommy or no or any of the basics. He babbles and "talks" all the time, but won't say any real words. I'm not too worried, but has anyone else had a real late talker? Anything you did to help?

Offline You're right

• Rookie
  • 🖕🏻
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2011, 01:07:50 PM »
So I've got a boy who turns 2 on the 22nd. He's still not talking. Won't say daddy or mommy or no or any of the basics. He babbles and "talks" all the time, but won't say any real words. I'm not too worried, but has anyone else had a real late talker? Anything you did to help?
Sometimes it just takes some others longer - one of the other kids at our sitters was the same way. He is the same age as my daughter (soon to be 10) and this week he just moved to a new school so that he could be enrolled in the regions gifted program. He still isn't very talkative, but when he does speak he is very articulate. Just my two cents.
There's valid reasons for the limited interest. Get out of your basement if you dare. The real world will bend you over.
Adios Chachi

Offline Mordac

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2011, 01:53:49 PM »
How's his hearing? Is he reacting to voices, and sounds, appropriately? Believe it or not, clogged ear passages can delay speaking, apparently. Something to do with them hearing noises, but not words...*shrug* I'm not a doctor. :)

Offline Jacques Strap

• Prospect
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2011, 04:29:59 PM »
How's his hearing? Is he reacting to voices, and sounds, appropriately? Believe it or not, clogged ear passages can delay speaking, apparently. Something to do with them hearing noises, but not words...*shrug* I'm not a doctor. :)

I thought the same thing. Bullfrog, I don't meant to be alarmist, but that is something to be somewhat concerned about. I would speak to your doctor regarding your concerns, and have them make an assessment. Hopefully it is simply that he's not ready yet, but you do want to rule out hearing issues.

Offline MonikaM

• Prospect
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2011, 04:48:54 PM »
One of my sisters barely said a word until she was around school age, while her twin was right on target.

Definitely have it checked out but no need for alarm.

Offline Bullfrog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2011, 09:44:51 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I'm not alarmed at all, but I'll definitely get it checked. I know they had trouble checking his hearing when he was first born. It took the nurse at least 5 tries to be satisfied; something to do with the angle of his ear canal.

Offline AlmosGirl

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2011, 09:30:25 PM »
Hey BF, I agree to get his hearing checked.  I have a friend that her now 2 yr old had to have tubes in his ears, once that was done, they put him into some speech classes and within a couple of months, he's now talking up a storm.

Some kids can be late talkers, so, you never know.  All kids ar so different but it never hurts to talk to the Dr.

Offline moon111

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2011, 09:59:59 AM »
My son's had all kinds of ear problems, it's an on going battle to keep tubes in his ears from coming out, massive build up of wax, infections, etc.   I wasn't diagnosed until much later in life and it caused all kinds of problems with school and self-esteem.  Did a cognitive ability test and scored the highest mark they said they've ever seen.  So really the ear problem really destroyed allot of potential.  Get the ears checked out!
R.I.P. Maureen.  You'll always be with us.

Offline AlmosGirl

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2011, 12:50:50 PM »
Bragging here.  My daughter made the Bantam A team this past spring and they had their first tournament this past weekend in North York.  She played awesome and had an assist in one game and a goal in the other!  So proud of her!

Offline You're right

• Rookie
  • 🖕🏻
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2011, 01:03:41 PM »
Bragging here.  My daughter made the Bantam A team this past spring and they had their first tournament this past weekend in North York.  She played awesome and had an assist in one game and a goal in the other!  So proud of her!
And you should be! That is awesome. I'll bet the ear to ear grin lasted for quite some time! (both yours and hers) :)
There's valid reasons for the limited interest. Get out of your basement if you dare. The real world will bend you over.
Adios Chachi

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2011, 03:39:56 PM »
Good stuff, A.G. My 8-year-old is trying out for the cross country team tomorrow. It's the only athletic team she's allowed to try out for at her school at that age. Whether she makes it or not, I'm very proud. 

Offline sucka

• Marlie
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2011, 03:48:01 PM »

My brother was like that, didn't talk until 3.  Just one day it was like the taps where turned on and he was babbling on and on and didn't shut up.  He was late for everything, he was wearing diapers to school.  This was 1982 so it was ok back then.

Offline AlmosGirl

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2011, 12:57:25 PM »
Yes Scot4bz, huge grin.

Floyd, good luck to your daughter today.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2011, 12:57:25 PM »