Author Topic: Trade Deadline  (Read 43629 times)

Offline Corn Flake

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Trade Deadline
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 11:21:42 AM »
I would just like to say I have about as much interest in watching any of these deadline shows as I do getting hit over the head with a shovel. 

I used to take the day off for this day... what was I thinking...

Whaaaaa?? You mean you aren't willing to lose a days pay watching Bob McKenzie analyze 3rd and 4th line players for 8 hours this year?

not anymore! Unless there was some way to turn the show into a game of whack-a-mole which each panelist being a mole.  Now that would be fun. 

Offline Kaberle15

• Veteran
  • They Did it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2013, 02:16:44 PM »
I think that Nonis will stand pat and do nothing next week.

He is looking for upgrade on D and I don't see him pulling the trigger...

To bad no Stall brother is avaliable from Carolina...
A.K.A Gardiner51, Changed back to Kaberle15 now that he is retired.

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2013, 03:10:55 PM »
I think that Nonis will stand pat and do nothing next week.

He is looking for upgrade on D and I don't see him pulling the trigger...

To bad no Stall brother is avaliable from Carolina...

You may be right. I dont see him pulling off any blockbuster trades, but I could see a minor deal or two. I think they still believe a veteran netminder would help improve the goaltending situation leading into the playoffs. Reimer has been very good, but neither he nor Scrivens have a single game of playoff experience, and when the games get important, we still dont know how either one will react. I also think they may look for an experienced stay-at-home defensemen.
"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.." --Isaac Asimov.

Offline Boston Leaf

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2013, 03:33:03 PM »
Problem with a veteran netminder is there anyone with  anything left in the tank that is not gonna cost a lot? Khabibulin is hurt always.. don't want DiPietro... Biron will not be dealt

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2013, 03:54:09 PM »
Problem with a veteran netminder is there anyone with  anything left in the tank that is not gonna cost a lot? Khabibulin is hurt always.. don't want DiPietro... Biron will not be dealt

Khabibulin would be my choice of those you mentioned, but yeah, it may be difficult to find one. At least there should be more choices than there were at the beginning of the year, when it was basically just Luongo.
"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.." --Isaac Asimov.

brothert

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2013, 03:55:25 PM »
Goaltending is not going to make or break this playoff run. There are a lot of inexperienced playoff players on the team.  Go in with no expectations, enjoy it and grow for future years.  A veteran goalie might get us past the first round but we'll have lost some assets and have to pay to keep said veteran goalie and he'll probably be useless by the time we're ready to make a serious playoff run.

Offline nutman

• Veteran
  • Marner... This kid has game.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2013, 04:26:46 PM »
We dont need a Goalie, and I'll bet Nonis aint even looking for one. why people keep bringing this up is beond me. our Goalies have shown they are here to stay. what we need more than anything is a good stay at home defenceman. as for the #1 center, dont worry Joe's comming along.

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2013, 04:29:48 PM »
Agreed with the Nutman...no goalies and Joe can dish between Lupul and Kessel next year...if we make it to the playoffs I will be happy, if they win the first round ecstatic, 2nd round in Nirvana....but just make it to the playoffs please.
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

Offline drummond

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2013, 04:29:52 PM »
Goaltending is not going to make or break this playoff run. There are a lot of inexperienced playoff players on the team.  Go in with no expectations, enjoy it and grow for future years.  A veteran goalie might get us past the first round but we'll have lost some assets and have to pay to keep said veteran goalie and he'll probably be useless by the time we're ready to make a serious playoff run.

I fully agree with you. Enjoy the ride in the playoffs, collect some experience and go from there.

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2013, 05:08:15 PM »
We dont need a Goalie, and I'll bet Nonis aint even looking for one. why people keep bringing this up is beond me. our Goalies have shown they are here to stay. what we need more than anything is a good stay at home defenceman. as for the #1 center, dont worry Joe's comming along.

Why people keep bringing it up is because a lack of playoff experience, especially among goaltenders, is not something you want to bet the house on when your playing do or die hockey games.  I can totally appreciate that some fans want to roll the dice and just see what happens. After all, just making it to the dance is a huge achievement, but if they have any plans on advancing a round or two, they will be contemplating bringing in another goaltender that has been down this road a time or two.

Offline Bullfrog

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2013, 05:44:25 PM »

I hope you're talking about Thornton.

Offline princedpw

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2013, 06:02:04 PM »
Why people keep bringing it up is because a lack of playoff experience, especially among goaltenders, is not something you want to bet the house on when your playing do or die hockey games.  I can totally appreciate that some fans want to roll the dice and just see what happens. After all, just making it to the dance is a huge achievement, but if they have any plans on advancing a round or two, they will be contemplating bringing in another goaltender that has been down this road a time or two.

It just isn't obvious to me that "being a veteran" is one of the primary characteristics that predicts good play by a goalie in the playoffs.  Are there any stats that show that the number of playoff games played in the past is a better predicator of post-season success than, say, regular season save percentage from the given year?  If experience actually mattered, it should be very easy to prove it statistically.

Anecdotally, there are so many examples of young guys playing well and old guys playing poorly (and of course, good goaltenders simply playing well because they always play well) that I myself can't tell if experience vs inexperience really has any noticeable effect at all.  Wasn't Stanley cup winning Fleury experienced but beyond awful last year?  Wasn't Cam Ward great but inexperienced when he won?

Is it really the case that a team is worse off having an inexperienced-but-good-during-the-regular-season goalie (eg: Reimer) than an experienced-but-not-as-good-during-the-regular-season-goalie (eg: kipper with his .879 save percentage this year).  Is it really worth paying the talent cost and acquiring the cap burden to get a guy like that?  Until somebody shows me some clear evidence that inexperience in goalies makes a clear difference, I'm not going to give up those assets to trade for experience over demonstrated regular season skill.  Of course, if an opposing GM just gifts us a great goaltender with little future cap burden then I'd happily take him.

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2013, 06:09:13 PM »
I think Fleury has got worse the more he's played in the playoffs.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2013, 06:18:28 PM »

I hope you're talking about Thornton.

He obviously isn't, but Grabovski for Thornton (as the main parts), do you do it?

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Sucker punching Logan Couture
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2013, 06:22:37 PM »
Anecdotally, there are so many examples of young guys playing well and old guys playing poorly (and of course, good goaltenders simply playing well because they always play well) that I myself can't tell if experience vs inexperience really has any noticeable effect at all.  Wasn't Stanley cup winning Fleury experienced but beyond awful last year?  Wasn't Cam Ward great but inexperienced when he won?

Well, I think you're right but I think the point being made is that, and I think the numbers back this up, inexperience can be a factor and there are quite a few goalies, good ones, whose first crack at playoff hockey went poorly. That's not to say that you can't possibly go into the playoffs with Reimer as your #1, just that you might want a better plan B than Ben Scrivens.
Sports are like the reward of a functioning society
- Sean Doolittle