Author Topic: Trade Deadline  (Read 42740 times)

Offline nutman

• Veteran
  • Marner... This kid has game.
    • View Profile
Re: Trade Deadline
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2013, 06:23:43 PM »
We dont need a Goalie, and I'll bet Nonis aint even looking for one. why people keep bringing this up is beond me. our Goalies have shown they are here to stay. what we need more than anything is a good stay at home defenceman. as for the #1 center, dont worry Joe's comming along.

I hope you're talking about Thornton.

Clearly you dont follow the the farm system. its where Kadri came from. Joe C was also a high pick, and is expected to be a top line player when ready for the big show. the team is called the Toronto Marlies. ;D

Offline Gilmour the Great

• Marlie
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2013, 06:36:16 PM »
We dont need a Goalie, and I'll bet Nonis aint even looking for one. why people keep bringing this up is beond me. our Goalies have shown they are here to stay. what we need more than anything is a good stay at home defenceman. as for the #1 center, dont worry Joe's comming along.

He obviously isn't, but Grabovski for Thornton (as the main parts), do you do it?

In a heartbeat. I feel with Thornton and one more good defenceman we would be legit contenders.

Lupul-Thornton-Kessel
 :o

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2013, 06:39:41 PM »
Anecdotally, there are so many examples of young guys playing well and old guys playing poorly (and of course, good goaltenders simply playing well because they always play well) that I myself can't tell if experience vs inexperience really has any noticeable effect at all.  Wasn't Stanley cup winning Fleury experienced but beyond awful last year?  Wasn't Cam Ward great but inexperienced when he won?

Well, I think you're right but I think the point being made is that, and I think the numbers back this up, inexperience can be a factor and there are quite a few goalies, good ones, whose first crack at playoff hockey went poorly. That's not to say that you can't possibly go into the playoffs with Reimer as your #1, just that you might want a better plan B than Ben Scrivens.

Agreed. I think the ideal situation would be to have a veteran goalie with plenty of playoff experience that can challenge Reimer for the net or take over should Reimer run into confidence issues, poor play, or injuries during the playoffs. I don't think the Leafs can depend upon Scrivens to be that guy, at least not this year. Of course, if the price is too high, than it may be better to just go with what we have and hope for the best.
"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.." --Isaac Asimov.

Offline Leaf 50

• Prospect
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2013, 07:01:44 PM »
I think they should stay the course and let the chips fall as they may ,gain the experience the run provides and tinker this summer.I think the team we see has played far beyond our early expectations and will continue to grow .Grow what we have started -those of us who have been around for the drought since 67have seen what happens when you sell the future for a piece of the present

Offline Bullfrog

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2013, 07:06:32 PM »

Clearly you dont follow the the farm system. its where Kadri came from. Joe C was also a high pick, and is expected to be a top line player when ready for the big show. the team is called the Toronto Marlies. ;D

Cool, I'll have to check them out some time.

Offline AvroArrow

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2013, 07:12:49 PM »
We dont need a Goalie...why people keep bringing this up is beond me

You made a thread about getting a goalie.  ::)

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2013, 07:18:30 PM »

Cool, I'll have to check them out some time.

Aren't they still in St. John's?
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline nutman

• Veteran
  • Marner... This kid has game.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2013, 07:19:53 PM »

Kind of a joke to see what fans thought of getting Miller on our team instead of facing him all the time.

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Sucker punching Logan Couture
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2013, 07:52:08 PM »

Kind of a joke to see what fans thought of getting Miller on our team instead of facing him all the time.

So it was just a coincidence that this funny, funny joke was made in the midst of Reimer going through a stretch of allowing 18 goals in 5 starts.
Sports are like the reward of a functioning society
- Sean Doolittle

Offline Chev-boyar-sky

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2013, 08:36:12 PM »
Anecdotally, there are so many examples of young guys playing well and old guys playing poorly (and of course, good goaltenders simply playing well because they always play well) that I myself can't tell if experience vs inexperience really has any noticeable effect at all.  Wasn't Stanley cup winning Fleury experienced but beyond awful last year?  Wasn't Cam Ward great but inexperienced when he won?

Well, I think you're right but I think the point being made is that, and I think the numbers back this up, inexperience can be a factor and there are quite a few goalies, good ones, whose first crack at playoff hockey went poorly. That's not to say that you can't possibly go into the playoffs with Reimer as your #1, just that you might want a better plan B than Ben Scrivens.

I cant't hink of too many goalies who'd realistically be the answer. Scrivens/Reimer have, generally speaking, put up good numbers.

Who's got "proven playoff numbers" (that's available realistically). J.S. Giguere, Kiprusoff, Khabibulin....can't think of anyone else......

Offline princedpw

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2013, 09:12:35 PM »

I'd be interested in seeing the numbers to back it up (not that I expect you to go out and find them ... but if anybody happened to know where I could see some without much work on my part, it would be interesting).

I certainly find it plausible that inexperienced goaltenders could perform worse going from regular season to post season --- but I'm really just not sure.  I also find it plausible that lots of people believe that inexperienced goaltenders perform worse because they remember some specific time (or several times) an inexperienced goaltender performed badly --- but that's balanced by experienced goaltenders performing badly (and/or inexperienced goaltenders performing well).  We all know there's lots of randomness and bounces in a short 7-game series and that's going to make lots of good goalies look bad and bad goalies look good.  People just aren't very good at synthesizing all that noisy information accurately and uncovering the true trends ...

Summary:  I'd love to see the numbers 'cause I'm not sure how much of a factor experience is.  How much value should a team trade for veteran goaltending?  How much worse talent-wise can a veteran be than a rookie before their veteran status is useless?

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2013, 09:26:39 PM »
Second hand info but...

@dantencer: Bobby Mac on TSN says Bartkowski, Khoklachev and 1st for Iginla is imminent according to sources close to the Bruins. Not confirmed, he says

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2013, 10:06:44 PM »
... aaaaaand apparently Iginla is a healthy scratch tonight. 

Offline Palmateer29

• Marlie
  • TML Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2013, 10:30:55 PM »

Poor Iginla going from a team that isn't going to win to a team that isn't going to win. It's only about 3 years after the time he SHOULD have been traded.

Offline princedpw

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2013, 10:44:52 PM »

Poor Iginla going from a team that isn't going to win to a team that isn't going to win. It's only about 3 years after the time he SHOULD have been traded.

Are you saying the Bruins have no chance to win?  It's always a crapshoot, but I'd put them in my top 3:  Pittsburgh, Bruins, Chicago