Author Topic: Rumour: Komisarek asks for a trade  (Read 6661 times)

Offline Dappleganger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Rumour: Komisarek asks for a trade
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2013, 03:44:24 PM »
One trade I'd do: Komisarek to the Islanders for DiPietro and a first.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2013, 04:11:23 PM »

I doubt the Islanders would, and I doubt the Leafs would either. It would cost a lot more to buy-out DiPietro, and that's assuming he doesn't hurt himself before the summer.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2013, 04:13:04 PM »
I don't know...

Komi's salary this and next season is 3.5mi with a 4.5 cap hit. If the Leafs pay like 50% of that he might be tradeble, maybe in a package or something like that (not paying half salary for a low pick).

That leaves the Leafs with a cap hit of $2.25M for a guy not on the team, with likely nothing worthwhile coming back in terms of assets instead of having zero cap hit after a compliance buy-out. That cap space is likely to be a more valuable asset than what Komisarek would return in this scenario.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Sucker punching Logan Couture
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2013, 04:31:43 PM »

I doubt the Islanders would, and I doubt the Leafs would either. It would cost a lot more to buy-out DiPietro, and that's assuming he doesn't hurt himself before the summer.

True but if it were this year's first? Unlikely, I agree but it'd be a heck of an interesting risk.
Sports are like the reward of a functioning society
- Sean Doolittle

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2013, 04:41:23 PM »
True but if it were this year's first? Unlikely, I agree but it'd be a heck of an interesting risk.

Yeah. I mean, I certainly see the appeal, but I don't think MLSE would be all that happy about throwing that much money away on a player who won't play a single game for the team, and, well, as crazy as the Islanders are, they won't be moving that pick.

Offline Dappleganger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2013, 06:22:37 PM »

Yeah. I mean, I certainly see the appeal, but I don't think MLSE would be all that happy about throwing that much money away on a player who won't play a single game for the team, and, well, as crazy as the Islanders are, they won't be moving that pick.

This is the same company that gave Alonzo Mourning 11m not to show up.

Why not spend 24m on an amnesty buyout for a first round pick?

It will never happen but I'd do it. I didn't take into consideration, as Bustaheims pointed out, if DiPietro got hurt before the end of the year but there's also a amnesty buyout in 2014.

Offline princedpw

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2013, 10:39:37 PM »

This is the same company that gave Alonzo Mourning 11m not to show up.

Why not spend 24m on an amnesty buyout for a first round pick?

It will never happen but I'd do it. I didn't take into consideration, as Bustaheims pointed out, if DiPietro got hurt before the end of the year but there's also a amnesty buyout in 2014.

If this were the plan, the team would simply sit DiPietro and wouldn't play him after he passes his physical to validate the trade.

Offline sneakyray

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2013, 02:56:18 PM »
so basically everything went downhill for komi with that ridiculous eye injury...he was in the lineup fairly regularly until then no?

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2013, 04:31:20 PM »
so basically everything went downhill for komi with that ridiculous eye injury...he was in the lineup fairly regularly until then no?

4 games only but yeah he was getting a look and wasn't hurting the team.  He never seemed to draw back into the lineup after that freak injury.

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2013, 08:39:48 AM »
According to TSN, the Leafs are expected to buy out Komisarek's contract.

Offline Chev-boyar-sky

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2013, 08:51:04 AM »

Was the amount over 1M going to count against the cap or something?

I get letting a player find a place to play in the NHL, but if the salary wasn't going to hinder the Leafs in any way I'm not sure why we'd waste a buyout on him.

Komi and Finger must go down as the worst overpayments in Leafs UFA history. Terrible contracts.

Offline KoHo

• Marlie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2013, 09:12:15 AM »

I get letting a player find a place to play in the NHL, but if the salary wasn't going to hinder the Leafs in any way I'm not sure why we'd waste a buyout on him.

Komi and Finger must go down as the worst overpayments in Leafs UFA history. Terrible contracts.
Ugh, Jeff Finger.

One of the worst things about that signings was Finger being surprised the Leafs paid him that much. When the player himself expresses that he couldn't believe the Leafs offered him such a contract, you know you have a problem.

"I was completely surprised, to be honest. It is twice as much as I ever managed making."

Jalili

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2013, 09:21:50 AM »

Ugh, Jeff Finger.

One of the worst things about that signings was Finger being surprised the Leafs paid him that much. When the player himself expresses that he couldn't believe the Leafs offered him such a contract, you know you have a problem.

"I was completely surprised, to be honest. It is twice as much as I ever managed making."

The sad thing is that it's not even the most messed up part about it.

Rumour had it that the contract was meant for another UFA D-man on the same team as Finger, but the Leafs mixed the two players up. Kurt Sauer was the other D-man IIRC.

Offline Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2013, 09:26:02 AM »

Ugh, Jeff Finger.

Rumour had it that the contract was meant for another UFA D-man on the same team as Finger, but the Leafs mixed the two players up. Kurt Sauer was the other D-man IIRC.

I think people made that up.

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Sucker punching Logan Couture
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2013, 09:29:06 AM »

That was the sort of thing that got tossed around as a joke after the deal got made. It doesn't really make sense if you think about it.
Sports are like the reward of a functioning society
- Sean Doolittle