Author Topic: Leafs offer for Bernier.......Or Not!  (Read 29866 times)

Offline Damian

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Leafs offer for Bernier...
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2012, 12:14:58 PM »
Its only a sideways move in my opinion...Hes got what? 48 games in 3 seasons? I dont see it either

Offline Crake

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2012, 12:20:52 PM »
Are we seriously saying that Bernier isn't a better option than Scrivens?

Scrivens has done great so far and clearly deserves a backup role in the NHL, but that is likely as far as he goes. How many goalies come into the league at 26 and make an impact? Better yet, how many North American goalies are able to do that? Very, very few. Bernier may not appear to have the same potential he once did, but he is still a better option than Scrivens at this point.

Offline BlueWhiteBlood

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2012, 12:53:29 PM »
Its only a sideways move in my opinion...Hes got what? 48 games in 3 seasons? I dont see it either

That's mostly why NHL teams rely on scouting departments, so you know, you can make a decision on a guy's talent level and how it's going to translate to the NHL game.
BWB

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2012, 12:59:02 PM »

That's mostly why NHL teams rely on scouting departments, so you know, you can make a decision on a guy's talent level and how it's going to translate to the NHL game.

And, as we all know, that's still a crapshoot.
"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.." --Isaac Asimov.

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2012, 01:01:34 PM »

... and as you know, that's why there are scouting departments... See a pattern developing here?

Offline Rebel_1812

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2012, 01:06:32 PM »

That scouting department must have been working overtime on the Gomez signing and trade.  This arguement that they are "professionals" and know better then us is flawed because of all the stupid moves these "professionals" have made in the past.  Its like saying your bosses idea is a great one just because he is your boss.

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2012, 01:07:51 PM »
Scrivens gets no love around here, guy just had a big season in the AHL, give him a look at home before sending him away for some magic beans. 

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2012, 01:11:04 PM »

That scouting department must have been working overtime on the Gomez signing and trade.  This arguement that they are "professionals" and know better then us is flawed because of all the stupid moves these "professionals" have made in the past.  Its like saying your bosses idea is a great one just because he is your boss.

What about the not-so-stupid moves? I don't know, I'd be inclined to trust the judgment of any employed scout than you know, some guy (or group of guys) who just likes to chit-chat in a hockey forum.

Offline BlueWhiteBlood

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2012, 01:13:14 PM »
What about the not-so-stupid moves? I don't know, I'd be inclined to trust the judgment of any employed scout than you know, some guy (or group of guys) who just likes to chit-chat in a hockey forum.

Pretty much. That's also why all the teams have them as opposed to saying "what are they useful for, we'll just skip this part and save some money"
BWB

Offline Corn Flake

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2012, 01:17:53 PM »

30 NHL teams read this, slapped their collective foreheads and just fired all of their scouts. 

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2012, 01:20:36 PM »

30 NHL teams read this, slapped their collective foreheads and just fired all of their scouts.

... and registered on hfboards.

Offline Damian

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2012, 01:30:08 PM »

... and as you know, that's why there are scouting departments... See a pattern developing here?

I sure do, but I'm still not going to try the Kool Aid.....

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2012, 01:37:38 PM »
If it was something like Scriven's + mid-round pick for Bernier, yeah, sure I'd take a younger higher touted prospect to battle it out against Reimer, but I just can't see the guy being traded for that.

No, I agree. The deck chairs would look much better like that Captain Smith.

It's not my fault that I keep assessing this team on the surface (paper) and ignore the 90% below (ice level).  Brian Burke assured me that he wants to win.  He did it with a shirt with the top button undone and no tie and he looked all flustered like he had been working really hard.  He wants results and who can argue with his work to date.

;D  Nice riposte.

Offline No.92

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2012, 01:44:11 PM »
Scrivens gets no love around here, guy just had a big season in the AHL, give him a look at home before sending him away for some magic beans.

I wholeheartedly agree.  Why hasn't Bernier played more even though he was highly touted?  Was Quick so good in the regular season that Bernier couldn't get a few more games in?  Remember, the Kings were bad at the beginning of the season and then just squeaked into the playoffs. So during the time when they were not so good, you would think Bernier would have split some duty.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2012, 01:49:44 PM »
I wholeheartedly agree.  Why hasn't Bernier played more even though he was highly touted? Was Quick so good in the regular season that Bernier couldn't get a few more games in?  Remember, the Kings were bad at the beginning of the season and then just squeaked into the playoffs. So during the time when they were not so good, you would think Bernier would have split some duty.

Ummm, yes. Have you taken a look at the numbers he posted this season? I mean, it's not like he was the runner up for the Vezina this season or anything. The Kings were struggling early in the season because they couldn't put the puck in the net, not because they couldn't keep it out of it. Why would the Kings go to someone else when they arguably had the best goalie in the league going this season?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan